PDA

View Full Version : Help – thread problems on Vicmarc 120

Kaj Petersen
29th April 2008, 08:12 AM
Hi.

Just went to the workshop this afternoon to do some turning.

Had to remove the Vicmarc from the lathe in order to start a new project. I had been stationary for a week, where I had hollowed som small bowls and other minor turnings.
First of all it was allmost impossible to remove it. The bugger was tight and felt lige it was glued or something.
When i manged to remove the Vicmarc, I found the thread on the inside lige shown on the picture.
The thread is filled with burs and like tear out... don't know what has happened.
Just know the thread is in ruins.
Just have to tell, that I never tighten anything very tight on the lathe... just enough...:rolleyes:

Cheers
Kaj

artme
29th April 2008, 05:51 PM
Not good Kaj! :~:(

Is the thread compatible with your lathe thread?

Did you cross thread it when putting it on?

Looks like they are the only reasons I can think of for your problem. I think you will have to get your self and your gear to the nearest miachine shop.

Barry Hicks
29th April 2008, 06:09 PM
Like Artme said, it looks like it had been cross
threaded but if that was the problem, the
chuck would have wobbled like crazy.

Did the chuck screw all the way to the shoulder
on the mandrel?

What does the thread on the mandrel look like?
Is it damaged?

Cliff Rogers
29th April 2008, 06:20 PM
Dunno, it doesn't look like it was cross threaded to me, looks more like there may have been something sitting in the threads on the spindle when you put the chuck on & that has bitten into the the first thread.
I'd just clean it up, give it a squirt of Lanotec or Inox & run it on & off a couple of times & then clean it up again.

DJ’s Timber
29th April 2008, 06:29 PM
I'd go with what Cliff said, it pretty darn hard to get these threads X-threaded without you noticing

Kaj Petersen
29th April 2008, 07:26 PM
Hi all.

Thanks for answers.

No, the chuck was not cross threated, and I always turn in the chuck by hand... or anything else for that matter. I was engaged to the shoulder, and everything as usual. Further I always clean of the mandrel and chuck with compressed air before mounting anything. Can't hardly believe that a wooden shaving or wooden dust can casue this damage.

The thread on the mandrel is fine. I just cleaned it off with piece of paper and a little oil, and it's just like new.

One of the guys in our Danish forum, believes that there is a mispas, between the two threads. A local guy where I live working in a local workshop making tools, will measure out the two threads this afternoon. He says it is no problem to repair the thread in the chuck. Now I just have to wait...

Cheers
Kaj