PDA

View Full Version : Hot off the Lathe

littlebuddha
2nd May 2008, 04:46 AM
Well as you can see there straight of the lathe, still need some buffing and then some good pics made of them, size is 12cm x 14cm the neck and small ring under the body and in the base are Hormbeam, pewter ring and purple heart finial dangle in base, base is spaltered marble beach, and the main body is of Imbuya with a cast pewter ring with texture. Bit more buffing and polish and ready to go..LB

OGYT
2nd May 2008, 04:57 AM
Bang-up job, LB. Really looks nice. Pewter ring adds a really nice touch.

littlebuddha
2nd May 2008, 05:03 AM
I enjoyed casting the pewter ring, will be playing with more from now on..LB:D

Pat
2nd May 2008, 06:26 AM
Good job LB. That's what I like about this board, we get everyone from muggins like me to artist's ,

Speanwoody
2nd May 2008, 07:49 AM
Lovelly lovelly work, but I am also intrigued what you have done with your keyless chuck and the turned wood it appears to be set into

littlebuddha
2nd May 2008, 08:14 AM
Lovelly lovelly work, but I am also intrigued what you have done with your keyless chuck and the turned wood it appears to be set into

The things people wana know:D Okay keyless chuck, i bought this at a great little shop that sells very cheap tools, or should i say decent price, anyway the wood is beech and has a dovetailed spigot for my nova chuck, the spigot is soaked in thin superglue to harden it, helps with not getting crushed with main chuck jaws, also mark were it is posioned in the chuck No jaw so you always put it back in same posiotion.
The front end is then hollowed to take the jacobs chuck nice tight fit. Now the problem is that the casing of the jacobs is plastic of some discription the bottom end will pull of its spline, i took this of then put epoxy epoxy onto it pushed it back on then again epoxy into the beech i had turned. I had drilled out the hole in the jacobs to make it biger to take the full size of the chuck. The chuck could be bolted from the back if you wanted but then you will not get to use longer stock, i find it very usefull doing small thin finials, and i hord any little bit of exotic wood never throw it away even 4mm square round will go back into my box. If you need any help give us a shout hopfully you followed that:no::2tsup: LB

lubbing5cherubs
2nd May 2008, 08:27 AM
very nice indeed. beautiful actually

Rum Pig
2nd May 2008, 08:55 AM
well done that looks fantastic and good work on your chuck. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers Justin:drink2:

wheelinround
2nd May 2008, 09:41 AM
True artist nice little bowl :2tsup:

glad someone asked about the chuck

now about the pewter casting this I am very interested in :D

do you have your own setup etc to perform this

did you make the pattern for the pewter machine it etc.

how was it attached

Oh and what finish is on the bowl

artme
2nd May 2008, 01:52 PM
More good stuph!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Does everyone become more creative in cooler weather??

littlebuddha
2nd May 2008, 07:11 PM
True artist nice little bowl :2tsup:

glad someone asked about the chuck

now about the pewter casting this I am very interested in :D

do you have your own setup etc to perform this

did you make the pattern for the pewter machine it etc.

how was it attached

Oh and what finish is on the bowl

:rolleyes:where do we start, finish celulose snading sealer cut back buffed with paper towel, kitcken paper i use bounce as it does not break up and leave bits of white behind, i use kitchen paper always. Melimine then and then carnabua wax, the piece will then be buffed not that yet on the cards for today.
The pewter rings were cast, i turned a piece of mdf to near to the size and deapth i wanted took it of the lathe melted the pewter and poured into the mdf mould, put back onto the lathe and turned it up to the size to fit the opening i had cut, then it was epoxyed in place turned to the shape then textured.
Pewter has a very low melting point all i use is a small gas burner stove. and put bits of small pewter into a kitcken stanless ladel and hold over the flame it only takes a miniute then pour.
Just remember that if you have a go that this stuff is dam hot and splash it you get some serious burns, just take your time and its no bother, any dirty skin slag stays behind or goes to top, and make sure you leave it to cool. be carefull it does not fly out of the mould when you remount.
Ill drop some pics up in a while i have some just resize them..LB

echnidna
2nd May 2008, 07:23 PM
hmmm pewter sounds interesting to play with

Great work btw

wheelinround
2nd May 2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks heaps Little Budda will be a keeper this idea :2tsup:

joe greiner
3rd May 2008, 01:08 AM
Very nice accent in pewter, as well as the rest of the piece. Thanks for the procedure. What sort of sources do you have for the raw pewter? Old tankards would serve, I suppose, but preferable to get ingots if convenient.

Joe

Harry72
3rd May 2008, 09:00 AM
I can see the head lines now... "Pewter shortage where did all it go"

echnidna
3rd May 2008, 12:45 PM
I'm gunna check the knife and fork drawer too

A-Marks
7th May 2008, 01:04 PM
Wow Nice job mate