PDA

View Full Version : Give something back - a bowl

Calm
2nd May 2008, 01:01 PM
Some one on this forum once posted that they always give something to the generous supplier of wood.

I have found a supply of some Blackwood trees (photos next week) so i thought i would give something to the owner.

When cleaning up the small branches (mums firewood) from the first tree i saw this branch that had a very tight right angle bend and then 2 branches coming off. I thought it would look interesting so it went straight into the boot.

It is a very nice peice to look at but there were a couple of bad catches inside so i chickened out and just sanded the best i could for a finish. To be honest the wavy natural edge was a bit scary close to the fingers (i like them a lot) so i was glad to make it a chunky type of bowl.

Ern would have done a good job with his hollowing tools but i dont have one.

Sanded to 400 then wet sanded with danish oil 360, 400 , 1500 then traditional and glow to finish. Nerves got a real workout with the rag and the natural edge.

What do you think, good enough for a farmer.

Incoming!
2nd May 2008, 01:07 PM
Intriguing piece. Visually captivating - it keeps dragging my eyes back to it. I think your farmer is going to be quite tickled.

artme
2nd May 2008, 01:47 PM
Mate!!
That is gogeous!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
2nd May 2008, 02:45 PM
Lovely little piece Dave, nice shape and good use of the natural edge. As for the grain :tongueroll:

Incoming!
2nd May 2008, 03:44 PM
Happy birthday to you Dave - just noticed!

TTIT
2nd May 2008, 04:23 PM
Lovely bit of grain there David and a nice job of presenting it :2tsup: T'is exactly why I always go the crutch!!!:; - cannot find better figure in a tree.

Some one on this forum once posted that they always give something to the generous supplier of wood.....................Might have been me - think I've mentioned before our long-standing family tradition of making something in gratitude to the giver of wood (except other woodies of course who can bloody well make their own!!:;:U)

hughie
2nd May 2008, 05:14 PM
Great piece of timber! darn good job on the bowl to boot.

Nah to the hollower your doing alright just with what you've got

:2tsup:

Caveman
2nd May 2008, 05:37 PM
:wts:

:2tsup:Nice piece David. Even better that it was saved from the fireplace!

Amazing grain.:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
2nd May 2008, 05:37 PM
HB Dave. :2tsup:

Nice looking bit of timber.

What were you using inside that was catching?

The next step you have to take on this turning journey is cleaning up the chuck mount in the foot.
It is not easy with a natural edge piece like that but it can be done & you don't have to spend a fortune on a special bit of gear to do it.

When you first turn the chuck mount, clean up the base as good as you can get it without sanding off the dovetail for the jaws & leave a small flat top tit in the middle with a slight mark for the centre.

Once you have finished the piece, grab a block of junk timber, mount it in a chuck & make a former that will fit inside the bowl.
Cover the former with something soft like a piece of cloth or a bit of router mat rubber, put the piece over it & bring the tail stock up to the little dent in the centre of the bottom to hold it in place.
Now, with a low speed & a light touch from a sharp tool, turn away the dovetail & finish the bottom.
Once you have finished everything but the centre tit, remove it from the lathe & carve the tit off with a sharp knife or chisel.
Hand sand the cut & finish that too. :2tsup:

Calm
2nd May 2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks everyone - just woke up form a snooze on the couch. 17 1/2 YO daughter says its a "nanny nap", must be the age.

It is about 7 inches across and 2 1/2 maybe 3 inches deep from the highest point. I used a HT 1/2 and 3/8 bowl gouges (badly sharpened) and a 1/2 inch round nose scraper. I think the catches were from the grain running in so many different directions but with a "high point" coming round near my fingers 500 times a minute i could see it all finishing in pain (all to me) so it ended up being a bit chunky.

Cliff you are spot on i need to finish the bottom off properly. I normaly sand and finish the outside before i turn it around but i used epoxy on all the cracks after i shaped the outside. While it was 1/2 dry i started the inside then of course i hadn't done the bottom.

I have never tried your idea but understand how to do it. I cound still do it now but dont want to stuff it up. I will leave a bit more material on next time ( no recess inside the foot) and give it a go.

Never stop learning do we but thanks again for all your wise words. :2tsup::D

Cheers

BernieP
2nd May 2008, 06:22 PM
G'Day David

Well done and love the wood. Greenie sent!

Cheers
Bernie

weisyboy
2nd May 2008, 06:49 PM
stunning bowl dave never had any of that blackwood but now i cant wait to pick some up from someware.

Lovely bit of grain there David and a nice job of presenting it :2tsup: T'is exactly why I always go the crutch!!!:; - cannot find better figure in a tree.

umong other things:U

benji79
2nd May 2008, 07:16 PM
Gotta love that grain. Really well done :2tsup:

littlebuddha
2nd May 2008, 09:28 PM
Sanding and polishing them edges will make you stutter for awhile:D, nice bowl and lovley piece of wood grain..LB

Cliff Rogers
2nd May 2008, 11:48 PM
... I used a HT 1/2 and 3/8 bowl gouges (badly sharpened) and a 1/2 inch round nose scraper. I think the catches were from the grain running in so many different directions ....
Did you try rolling the scraper up at an angle to do a shear scrape?

Calm
3rd May 2008, 12:00 AM
Did you try rolling the scraper up at an angle to do a shear scrape?

No i tried it higher & lower than the centre and with the scraper horizontal. It worked really well with very light cuts but as soon as any width (more than 25%) of the edge touched it just caught. I s&*t myself so many times with the uneven edges that in the end i gave up and powersanded (cordless drill 80 grit) to clean most up and left it. The "tree" grain on the inside was all uneven (up down) until i sanded it. I even tried the 1" skew as a scraper on the centre but it was still uneven.

Thanks for any advice.

Cliff Rogers
3rd May 2008, 12:07 AM
My round nose scraper is not a neat semicircle, the curve changes around the edge so it is possible to get it so just a small part is taking a light cut & then it doesn't bite in.

I'll have to take a pic of my sanding glove & post it one day.... it looks scary but it work well on the inside of hollow forms.

rodent
3rd May 2008, 01:05 AM
The router mat cliff is talking about you can get a similar mat from 2 dollar shops or the reject shop they have it in the auto motive section for use on the dashboard . theres also a thicker version the have the cal it an arobics mat ,i think Oh nice find ,lovely wood .And Jess calls it a fat nap .

Cliff Rogers
6th May 2008, 09:28 AM
You can also find it in Kitchen Shops as drawer liners & place mats. :2tsup:

Rum Pig
6th May 2008, 09:49 AM
Nice very nice.
When a piece of wood turns out that good it makes it hard to give it away. who ever ends up with it will be pretty happy I would think. anymore wood in that pile of fire wood?

Cheers Justin:drink2: