PDA

View Full Version : First oval turning (try out)

Ad de Crom
3rd May 2008, 12:35 AM
Yesterday it was the first try out of the Oval turning device, with trying out to create oval shapes, and to find the right gripping point for the tool. The device was running with a speed of 733rpm, and the shape in the middle was exceptable for me (picture 1000049).
Today the real first try out to turn a oval shape, size 180 x155mm, this time with a speed of 430rpm, goes very well.
Made a video recording of the device running with a speed of 733rpm.
You can see this video on youtube http://nl.youtube.com/adecrom
I'm staying in one piece.
Cheers, and thanks for looking.

Ad :)

BobL
3rd May 2008, 12:52 AM
Very interesting and instructional!

The shape you are cutting and your video suggests you have a couple of vibrational harmonics flexing the structure. You might want to try other RPMs and strengthening the structures and you should get closer to true oval or is elliptical?

littlebuddha
3rd May 2008, 02:28 AM
YOU NEED TO HAVE EAR PROTECTORS WITH ALL THAT NOISE:D Oh its stopped now peace and quiet thats nice:U Like to see it being worked on and a finished piece, good luck, interesting:2tsup: LB

Ad de Crom
3rd May 2008, 04:03 AM
Very interesting and instructional!

The shape you are cutting and your video suggests you have a couple of vibrational harmonics flexing the structure. You might want to try other RPMs and strengthening the structures and you should get closer to true oval or is elliptical?

It was the first run after assembling, I know that I have to do refining work, like solving some problems with margins, some are to big.
Running with 733rpm is not neccesary, but for the first run it's nice to know how fast that thing can run, and 733rpm is pretty fast for such a device.
Ad

Ad de Crom
3rd May 2008, 04:20 AM
YOU NEED TO HAVE EAR PROTECTORS WITH ALL THAT NOISE:D Oh its stopped now peace and quiet thats nice:U Like to see it being worked on and a finished piece, good luck, interesting:2tsup: LB

Hi LB, nothing wrong with your ears :D, wish I had timing belts ( to expensive), better for your ears I have to admit, well it's not a Rolls Royce, somewhat more like a Trabant.
Actually I made it all with what I had in store, included rollerchains and rollerbearings, and with my bare hands, so I had not a machine shop for making parts.
So the sound you heard was for a big part from the rollerchains, I sprayed the rollerchains with teflon, so less noise than before.
Runs now with 430 rpm, enough for cutting. Still I have to solve some problems, of course.
Thanks for your attention.
Ad :U

littlebuddha
3rd May 2008, 06:53 AM
Hi keep going with it never know how far something can go, and what you might come up with, if it works it works then you refine it, good luck keep us up to date im interested. cheers LB

OGYT
3rd May 2008, 07:48 AM
Ad, you're amazing! Looks interesting to me! Keep us abreast of the progress! :)

artme
3rd May 2008, 09:18 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: It works!!

joe greiner
3rd May 2008, 09:44 PM
Hooooray! Very well done, Ad. And a much more orderly drive train than the Old Schwamb Mill, I think. IIRC, theirs is quite noisy too.

Joe

powderpost
3rd May 2008, 09:53 PM
This device seems to be chain driven. Is it your own design? I have been playing with oval turning on and off for about now for about 4 years. The "chuck" I use is based on the design used by David Springett, and some pictures from an old woodturning book. My experience was that 500 - 600 was a good speed to work at. At lathe centre level there is a 'sweet' spot where tools make contact with the spinning timber.
Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th May 2008, 02:41 PM
You'll let us know when you strike oil, won't you? :;:D

I'm impressed! Now for the fine tuning.... that's the part that chews up years. [sigh]

Ad de Crom
4th May 2008, 05:07 PM
This device seems to be chain driven. Is it your own design? I have been playing with oval turning on and off for about now for about 4 years. The "chuck" I use is based on the design used by David Springett, and some pictures from an old woodturning book. My experience was that 500 - 600 was a good speed to work at. At lathe centre level there is a 'sweet' spot where tools make contact with the spinning timber.
Jim

Yes, it is my own design and rollerchain driven, well I turned the first ''oval'' as a test, looks nice, but I'm not fully satisfied with the result.
Have to do refining work, reducing margins, an extra tension roller on the rollerchain transmission, and a couple of more things.
I think you are right by saying 500-600rpm is a good speed for cutting.
Thanks Jim

Ad de Crom
4th May 2008, 05:14 PM
You'll let us know when you strike oil, won't you? :;:D

I'm impressed! Now for the fine tuning.... that's the part that chews up years. [sigh]

Thanks ChiDAMN, Yes fine tuning will takes me a lot of time, I know.
But I'm an old guy, hmmm almost 68 in July, I'm a very patient person, so I take the needed time.

lubbing5cherubs
4th May 2008, 06:19 PM
can we see a picture of the first piece off the lathe please
Toni

Ad de Crom
4th May 2008, 07:25 PM
can we see a picture of the first piece off the lathe please
Toni

Hi Toni, first I have to do some refining work, needed to be done after the first try, before I can turn a real piece.
Than I think I can turn the first real piece, and show it to you.
Thanks for your attention.
Ad :)

OGYT
5th May 2008, 11:17 AM
Ad, I'll be 68 tomorrow. We ain't old!!! Just well used, with nice patinas!! :D

Ad de Crom
5th May 2008, 06:15 PM
Ad, I'll be 68 tomorrow. We ain't old!!! Just well used, with nice patinas!! :D

Al, old soldiers never die, just well used, nice saying, patinas??
I got a nice sunburn yesterday, it was hot in Holland.
Tomorrow 68, you're running in front of me, 16 july 1940.
Happy birthday Al, maybe someone surprise you with nice tools.
Have a great day tomorrow.
Cheers :birthday:

Ad

Ad de Crom
20th May 2008, 04:37 AM
Did the last couple of weeks a lot of refining work, reducing margins, better appropriate rollerchains, changing the distance between the swivelarm and rockin headstock and so on.
The device runs now 800rpm, and more quieter than before.
This afternoon I got what I wanted, a nice oval shape for the first time.
Using a bowl gouge is in the first place impossible, so I used to get more or less an oval shape a parting tool, and than I was able to use a bowl gouge. The same question for hollowing out work, the best is to turn first a 50mm hole into the center area, before you start with hollowing out, and than also with using a parting tool instead of trying to use a bowl gouge, lateron it's possible to use a bowl gouge. I tend more and more to use scrapers, profiled scrapers, which I think to develop, at least this is something I saw on the site of the Old Schwamb mill, anyway in my opinion the best tools for surface finishing.
For now a few pictures of the turning results.
Thanks for looking, comments are very wellcome.
Cheers. Ad

joe greiner
20th May 2008, 08:13 PM
Very well done, Ad.

The parting tool can be used for more than just parting. And an Oland tool can be used for more than just hollowing. Twisted almost sideways, they can impart more of a sliced surface for less sanding. On another forum a year or two ago, a turner posited, "Wanna see me turn a bowl with a parting tool?" I don't know if he ever actually did, but it might work.

Joe