PDA

View Full Version : first pictures

oldiephred
4th May 2008, 10:17 AM
I THINK I have the picture thing figgered (or frigged). If they are successful..... The containers range from 200 to 300 mm dia and 110 to 120mm high not including the pedistals. They are made from spalted birch which has been readily available for a long time but is now in demand for housing interior finish and flooring so it's hard to say what will happen. I do have my own source in a woodlot that should "see me out"
Thanks.

Claw Hama
4th May 2008, 12:03 PM
Nice work, you look to have a great finish on them, what did you use?

artme
4th May 2008, 02:43 PM
Nice turning and very nice finish!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

BernieP
4th May 2008, 05:04 PM
G'Day Oldfred

Very nice, the wood seems to have a fantastic pinkish glow to it.

Cheers
Bernie

Mrs Woodpecker
4th May 2008, 06:52 PM
Love them! They are just a little bit different to the normal shapes, which gives them an edge over the basics. :2tsup::2tsup:
Cheers,
Shirley

oldiephred
4th May 2008, 11:38 PM
The finish is three coats of water based floor finish, sanded between coats. Coats can be reapplied after one hour and is very hard after 24 hrs.
The wood is yellow birch and when it starts to spalt it will gradually go through pink, beige, brown, on it's way to full rot, all with some black streaks. I find it best to mill it , kiln dry , cut and glue. Each container is made up from 24 to 32 pieces.

OGYT
5th May 2008, 11:07 AM
I didn't know they were segmented pieces. Beautiful wood, beautiful turnings. Well done!!