PDA

View Full Version : learners next stage

coffenup
4th May 2008, 09:17 PM
Hi every one got my new lathe last week a small woodfast lathe. So I had a play on the w/end. I have posted some pictures the first four are of a 2 section lidded box. The fifth to eight ones is a just a cup. The cup is only 1.1 mm thick I held it to the light and light shone through. Both are pinus radiatis.
So all you learners like me out there we can only get better. Next is trying different shapes and vases and different timbers
Regards Michael
PS I have also have put a picture of my new lathe. Thank you my old GMC lathe for getting me addicted

powderpost
4th May 2008, 09:22 PM
Yep, it is addictive. I got addicted over 50 years ago. A very good effort, but I am a tad suspicious about the length of your experience. That last "cup", "bowl" looks too good. Well done.
Jim

BobL
4th May 2008, 10:06 PM
Hi Michael, Nice work on the woodfast!.
I haven't tried turning any pinebut your post has given me more of a push to have a go. I see we both have the same lathe - I got mine in Feb this year. I seem to have been spending more time making things for it that using it to make things!.
Cheers

OGYT
5th May 2008, 11:10 AM
Well done. Hope you make many more! Nice looking Mini, also!

artme
5th May 2008, 06:15 PM
Well done mate!!The addiction will become unbearable- but not for you!:D:D:D

billym
5th May 2008, 06:33 PM
They look really great:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:. What finish are you using?:)

BernieP
5th May 2008, 08:12 PM
G'Day Michael

Nice turnings keep it up.

Cheers
Bernie

hughie
5th May 2008, 09:58 PM
well done, 1.1mm hmmm, I was not that game when I first started. :U

look forward to your next effort :2tsup:

coffenup
5th May 2008, 11:16 PM
They look really great:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:. What finish are you using?:)

billy that is the natural pine no finish at all on them as of yet. Can't decide to stain or just varnish or danish oil them

Zarguld
6th May 2008, 01:22 AM
Looks really good .:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th May 2008, 07:58 PM
1.1mm?

I can't say I've ever turned radiata that thinly myself, so I'm wondering how it'd go if liberally soaked in DO/Tung Oil. Would it increase the translucency - as with Norfolk Island Pine - or would it make no real difference?

Worth an experiment, do you think? :;

coffenup
10th May 2008, 10:06 PM
I am tempted to try the tung oil
Regards
Michael

OGYT
11th May 2008, 05:29 AM
I wet a bowl with tung oil and kept it wet for about 15 minutes, then dried it with an old cotton T-shirt, then turned up the speed and buffed with a clean piece of the cloth. Question: How long does it take for a piece that has been drenched in Tung Oil to harden up?

Michael... the tung oil may work on the pine to make it more translucent.