PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying wood

thefixer
4th May 2008, 11:10 PM
Can someone please identify this tree for me. I think it is manna gum:rolleyes: And does it get more color as it dries. I have rough turned a few blanks and sealed both ends just in case it turns out to be OK. It is as green as all getout at the moment, so a few years yet till I get to use it.

Cheers
Shorty

funkychicken
4th May 2008, 11:24 PM
Spotted gum, the bark looks very much like it

rowie
4th May 2008, 11:46 PM
I hope my eyes are deceiving me, those bowl blanks look like they have been cut with the endgrain running top to bottom, not side to side(if you know what I mean?)

thefixer
5th May 2008, 12:14 AM
I hope my eyes are deceiving me, those bowl blanks look like they have been cut with the endgrain running top to bottom, not side to side(if you know what I mean?)

Hope this clarifies things for you Rowie

thefixer
5th May 2008, 12:19 AM
Spotted gum, the bark looks very much like it

Thanks Funky. I did a search and confirmed that it is definately "spotted gum". It helps to know what you are looking for.:p Apparently it makes great tool handles. Now, where can I find a use for that I wonder:doh:

Cheers
Shorty

rowie
5th May 2008, 04:35 AM
Hope this clarifies things for you Rowie
Uh oh,:oo: firewood alert:( Unfortunately, I dont give you more than a week before those clam shells start opening up:-

DJ’s Timber
5th May 2008, 07:51 AM
I tend to agree with Rowie, the outside off those blanks are going to dry faster than the inside which will most likely result in blanks that look like they have had a slice off pie cut out of them.

What you should have done, is cut the log lengthwise through the guts along the heart which will help to relieve a lot of the tension out of the log and then cut your blanks from the 2 halves. If you look at the modified photo that I've attached you'll see that I've drawn a line showing the direction off the first cut and then 2 circles that you'll get from 1 half of the split log.