PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a burl?

orraloon
6th May 2008, 02:05 PM
Hi,
Well it was the question I was asking myself so I looked at it from all angles then got into it. Sort of a natural sides bowl. I would be interested in seeing some other ideas for burls if anyone wants to put up a few pics.

Regards
John

artme
6th May 2008, 03:01 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

tea lady
6th May 2008, 03:39 PM
Pretty nice. Bit like a wooden hard boiled egg, with a thumb hole.:D:2tsup:I like asymmetry. That's one thing wrong with turning, and pottery. But tricky to make things not round.

ss_11000
6th May 2008, 03:48 PM
nice work:clap:

vern (ttit ) has some nice burl work on his website:2tsup:

Rum Pig
6th May 2008, 04:04 PM
Nice ballance its a piece that you can just keep looking at. Well done:2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
6th May 2008, 06:41 PM
bewdy bowl
is the smaller hole to hang it up :D good idea that :2tsup:

orraloon
6th May 2008, 07:44 PM
At first I had in mind a conventional bowl and hope that the wood inside was good to look at. When I got the bark off the surface was like the skin of a reptile and I just had to save it.
It was a lot of work compared to a round bowl. I had to turn it slow due to the balance and had a lot of hand sanding and buffing. (can't polish that one at 3000rpm).
The other hole is the handle. The wing looked like a handle so I helped out with the drill.
Anyhow after I finished I was thinking what do others do with burl so this post is fishing for ideas.

Regards
John

funkychicken
6th May 2008, 08:29 PM
Nice bowl!

Do the same with the other blank..