PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast or Jet?

Chipman
6th May 2008, 08:55 PM
I am interested to find out what woodturners think about the Woodfast M305 midi lathe compared to the Jet JML 1014 mini or JML 1220 midi.

Some of you have these lathes or have used both and I am interested to see what people think of them.

Regards,

Chipman

funkychicken
6th May 2008, 09:47 PM
I have the Jet 1220 and it's good except for a few things...like the centres not lining up and paper being put under the headstock (by the manufacturer) to move it up a bit:~

Apart from that it's a good lathe, but if you really want a nice mini lathe, go with a Vicmarc VL100

Jim Carroll
6th May 2008, 09:54 PM
:2tsup:Woodfast.

coffenup
6th May 2008, 09:56 PM
I own a woodfast but did a lot of research before I bought a new lathe. Both are good lathes but my woodfast out of the box just resting on the bench. the centres lined up. the smoothness of both was close but the woodfast was that little smoother. Mine has 6 speeds 350 to 3250 rpm. I know I made the best choice for me with what I needed but my needs may not be the same as yours.
Regards Michael

ss_11000
6th May 2008, 11:00 PM
the woodfast is also VS now, just so you know:cool:

artme
6th May 2008, 11:30 PM
I would go with the Woodfast.:2tsup:
I think our feathered friend actually means VL 100. That is their smallest lathe.

Chipman
7th May 2008, 12:13 AM
I think our feathered friend actually means VL 100. That is their smallest lathe.

Thinking the same thing.... VL200 is a much bigger lathe and much more expensive!

Chipman
7th May 2008, 12:22 AM
I notice the Jet midi is supposed to be 3/4 horsepower and the Woodfast 1/2 hp. Does this make a difference? or are they rubbery figures?

I haven't actually laid hands on the jet but saw a woodfast at Carbatec and the alignment was spot on. From some of the comments in this forum am I right to think that the JET is prone to being more out of line?

(don't like the idea of the manufacturer packing it up with paper!)

Is the extra $400-500 really worth it for variable speed on these lathes?

Appreciate the comments/info

Chipman

BobL
7th May 2008, 12:35 AM
I've had my woodfast M305 for 3 months. When I went to buy I looked at the Jet as well I honestly couldn't see where the value was in the extra cost.

Since purchased I have remade the tailstock lock cam boly as I burst the tailstock cam hole apart on the first weekend I had it - it didn't like being tightened with a lever :oo:. The amount of metal either side of the cam hole was also only 1.5 mm, my remade version has 3.5 mm. I'm also not all that happy with the banjo cam lock as it comes loose occasionally so I will probably have to remake that sometime.

Other than that it has good, I love spindle lock and indexing and despite the problems above I'd recommend it.

DJ’s Timber
7th May 2008, 09:23 AM
Can say that I have been disappointed with my Jet, when funds allow, I'll probably replace it with a VL100

Big Shed
7th May 2008, 10:02 AM
Can say that I have been disappointed with my Jet, when funds allow, I'll probably replace it with a VL100

There has been a lot of negative comment on the Jet mini lathes, both on this forum and the 2 US pen forums that I subscribe to. Both in terms of alignment and also switch problems.

funkychicken
7th May 2008, 07:51 PM

Thinking the same thing.... VL200 is a much bigger lathe and much more expensive!

Fixed now:roll:

China
7th May 2008, 09:38 PM
Woodfast

powderpost
7th May 2008, 09:52 PM
I have had a Woodfast midi now for 18 months. It replaced a variable speed Jet mini that I had used for 12 months. I have not been disappointed. As a matter of interest I have three Woodfast lathes and they had a hard life without any problems.
Jim

NeilS
7th May 2008, 11:13 PM
Is the extra $400-500 really worth it for variable speed on these lathes?

If it's your first lathe, perhaps not.

And, Woodfast.

Neil