PDA

View Full Version : gravel rash from the lathe

weisyboy
9th May 2008, 08:47 AM
have you ever had you hand jamed in a 7mm gap between the tool rest and a peice of shee oak spinning at 2000 rpm.:( i can tell you it bloudy hurts especialy when its 15* out.

why do thins hurt so mutch more when its cold:?

i now have a 30mm x 20mm patch on the back of my hand that is rubbed raw.

Rum Pig
9th May 2008, 08:54 AM
I can't say that I have ever had that happen to me but it dose sound mighty painful I hope you are able to get back on the lathe and finish the shee oak off. It will make whatever you are turning that bit more special and you can look at it and be thankful that is all that happened.

Hope your hand gets better

oldiephred
9th May 2008, 09:10 AM
Have not had your problem, but today I was sanding the inside of a bowl and when the paper caught. The section of finger from the middle joint to the end on the right index finger ended up at a 45deg. (didn't actually measure it) angle to the side. Had a difficult time getting it back in place but it seems to work OK, just a bit sore.
Hope your injury heals quickly.

RufflyRustic
9th May 2008, 09:12 AM
geez Carl! take it easy with that hand! I'm glad you've still got it!!!!

Cheers
Wendy

BobL
9th May 2008, 11:11 AM
Ouch!

Hang on . . . . I thought you don't have accidents Carl? :wink:

Anyway what would be useful to forum member is to tell us how this accident happened, maybe we can learn from this and not do the same thing?

And hope the hand heals quickly.

weisyboy
9th May 2008, 12:44 PM
Hang on . . . . I thought you don't have accidents Carl?
i never said that i have plenty.

Anyway what would be useful to forum member is to tell us how this accident happened, maybe we can learn from this and not do the same thing

bugger you you can learn from experiance.

i had the toolrest up close the the side of a bowl wile patring off a bit of waste at the bace when the chisel got in deep my hand (witch was resting on the tool rest) came into contact with the rough wood witch caught it and pulled it into the grove. second time it has happend on this peice of wood.

my left hand has had 3rd degree burns, one finger cut off, the rest of the fingers mamed, middle finger broken and now this.:B

OGYT
9th May 2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the warning... it'll help some of us be a little more careful. Hope your hand heals quickly, and painlessly.

artme
9th May 2008, 01:42 PM
You bringing that trophy to TT&WWW Show mate!:D:D:D

BobL
9th May 2008, 03:28 PM
i had the toolrest up close the the side of a bowl wile patring off a bit of waste at the bace when the chisel got in deep my hand (witch was resting on the tool rest) came into contact with the rough wood witch caught it and pulled it into the grove. second time it has happend on this peice of wood.

So did you feed the tool too quickly or was it more of a slip?
Was it a short/medium/long chisel and how thick was it?
At the time it caught, how deep was the parting slot and how much of the chisel was in the slot?
Finally was it a single pass part or were you making the part slot in several passes making it slightly wider than the chisel?
How come you just didn't let go?
The answers to these questions can help forum folks learn what happened.

my left hand has had 3rd degree burns, one finger cut off, the rest of the fingers mamed, middle finger broken and now this.:B
Take it easy carl, at the rate you are going you wont have anything to hold tools with. We need you around, and to able to use tools too, not just looking on.

weisyboy
9th May 2008, 03:53 PM
the tool didnt grab the peice of wood grabed my hand and pulled it in.

ss_11000
9th May 2008, 05:04 PM
that hand has taken a beating :(

any pics:D

ubeaut
9th May 2008, 06:03 PM
That's why it's called a TOOL rest and not a hand rest.

Then again if it happened twice maybe it did have a tool resting on it.

That's called doing a Bart Simpson or is it a Homer..... :doh: Doh!

I've had over 40 years of turning, carving and playing with all sorts of very dangerous and sharp things and I still have all my bits. You really are of to a pretty ordinary start Carl. Keep it up and we'll have to start calling you Knuckles...

DJ’s Timber
9th May 2008, 06:14 PM
the tool didnt grab the peice of wood grabed my hand and pulled it in.

Going on that remark, it sounds like you had your hand sitting on the toolrest which is what you shouldn't be doing. You should have your hand holding the tool before the toolrest, not on it :doh:

BernieP
9th May 2008, 06:40 PM
G'Day Carl

Sorry to hear about your hand, but thanks for the warning.

Cheers
Bernie

weisyboy
9th May 2008, 07:01 PM
i wasnt realy paying atention and let my hand slide in to far.

woops

weisyboy
9th May 2008, 08:05 PM
here is the buger that caused teh damage any ideas on species.

chrisb691
9th May 2008, 08:07 PM
i wasnt realy paying atention and let my hand slide in to far.

woops
Sorry about your hand.

Must say though, that the statement you just made scares the pants off me.

BobL
9th May 2008, 09:11 PM
Nice Bowl Carl, pretty colour? I see you managed to get the red out!

here is the buger that caused teh damage any ideas on species.

of the wood.... or the wood turner :wink:

dai sensei
9th May 2008, 09:18 PM
Not good new Carl, hope it heals quickly. Lathes have to be respected, thing catch so dam quickly :o.

I've had a few things catch on me when I wasn't concentrating, but I have been lucky, the JET seems to slip on the belt giving me that extra safety feature. Mind you, it only slips when you jam it hard, little mishaps takes the skin off the knuckles quickly :C

joe greiner
9th May 2008, 11:22 PM
Murphy strikes again. Murphy is always lurking, dreaming up all sorts of mischief when you least expect it. A moment's distraction gives him the advantage.

Best wishes for complete recovery, Carl. Get back on the horse ASAP.

Joe

TomH
10th May 2008, 10:01 AM
Hi Carl,

I know your pain. I did the same thing in year 10 at school, and it scared me off lathes for sometime. Just popped my middle finger over the tool rest and then it sucked down there. I remember it was quite bruised and bloody. Hate to think of what the school would do now with OH&S stuff.

Cheers,

Tom

ss_11000
10th May 2008, 01:46 PM
the only lathe related injury i have had ( that i can remember ) is when my rotary sander slipped off the edge of a bowl and my knuckle got the edge of the bowl. the knuckle bled for about 45 minutes to.

Calm
10th May 2008, 02:25 PM
Carl nice looking bowl.:2tsup::2tsup:

2 requests

1 as there are no photos of the hand in lathe - IT DIDN'T HAPPEN:D:D:D

2 would you mind making a video - similar to DJ's ca on pens - as a OH&S warning:D:D:D

tea lady
10th May 2008, 02:28 PM
That must be why they say no fingers on the other side of the tool rest.:rolleyes: Best wishes Carl. (Nice bowl BTW.:2tsup: )

Frank&Earnest
10th May 2008, 03:16 PM
Given my inexperience and recklessness I had my fair share of accidents. All minor, though, the last having been rapped on the knuckles by the broken vase (pine or not pine thread) when I pushed the gouge too deep (pic 1). Getting on with age and developing the hobby now, though, I am worried that my luck could not hold very long.

Your collective wisdom will be useful in discussing the "no fingers on the other side" rule.

As a self-taught from books, for the couple of dozen hours of turning I did in the past 30 years I was holding the roughing gouge as in pic 2.

At the TAFE course I attended last year the instructor showed us to hold it as in pic 3. It looks less safe to me, but he is a professional turner with decades of experience who still has "all his bits".

The positions in the photos are just approximative, given that I was holding the tool with one hand and the camera with the other, but you get the idea. Any comments?

woodwork wally
10th May 2008, 03:37 PM
Carl If that is all from that bloody great casuarina log you were bragging on Then I think you had better just cut it up for firewood :no::wink::wink:cos the pixies in the wood:oo::oo: are going to get even cos you are making them giddy:( when turning . . sorry the Buggers got you and hope the latest wounds get better real quick:2tsup::2tsup: Ps by the way did you get my email on wood reqirement WW Wally

tea lady
10th May 2008, 04:58 PM
Given my inexperience and recklessness I had my fair share of accidents. All minor, though, the last having been rapped on the knuckles by the broken vase (pine or not pine thread) when I pushed the gouge too deep (pic 1). Getting on with age and developing the hobby now, though, I am worried that my luck could not hold very long.

Your collective wisdom will be useful in discussing the "no fingers on the other side" rule.

As a self-taught from books, for the couple of dozen hours of turning I did in the past 30 years I was holding the roughing gouge as in pic 2.

At the TAFE course I attended last year the instructor showed us to hold it as in pic 3. It looks less safe to me, but he is a professional turner with decades of experience who still has "all his bits".

The positions in the photos are just approximative, given that I was holding the tool with one hand and the camera with the other, but you get the idea. Any comments?

From one beginner to another (in turning anyway) I think both ways of holding are correct. But maybe a bit less like strangling the living daylights out of it. The "thumb on top" way seems easier to move around. Maybe overhand grip for roughing? :? I think all the people who actually know something are in their workshops. Or we'll have to wait till the footies over.:rolleyes:

Calm
10th May 2008, 05:06 PM
The centre photo the big curly things that come off the workpeice belt the hell out of your hand, whereas the last photo they follow the flute of the gouge and dont hit your hand.

I watched for the curly bits part. :D:D

woodwork wally
10th May 2008, 09:07 PM
correct David but I was taught that index finger along tool rest and thumb in the flute to deflect the crap away .when doing very thin spindle turning the index finger goes UNDER the tool rest to support the object and thus can not be caught between anything but all very well being wise after as Carl said a "small lack of attention" HURTS LIKE HELL and serves to warn us that we are vunerable So please no more hurties Regards to all WW Wally

BobL
10th May 2008, 09:23 PM

The reason behind this I was told was;
If the tool catches on picture 2 you have to open your hand and then move your hand our of the way. too late. . ..
In picture 3 all you have to do is open your hand. Still probably too late but you have a better chance.

Frank&Earnest
11th May 2008, 01:38 AM
Don't get this, Bob. In my ignorance, opening the hand is the last thing I would do in a catch: wouldn't that just get the handle to fly in my face? I hang on to the tool and pull it back fast, firmly in my hands. Incidentally, that's why I would not want more than 1HP motor on my lathe. I might think differently if I were 120kg, but, as it is...:wink:

The only reason the instructor gave for that hold was the deflection of the chips, which IMO is not such an essential thing if there were safety downsides. Nobody has mentioned any so far, so a little benefit is better than nothing, after all. And now I find it more comfortable.

Anyway, thanks Carl for starting the discussion. For the life of me, though, still can't understand how you managed to get your hand in that position. Bet it's just an excuse for an interesting post!:D

scooter
12th May 2008, 09:38 PM
Stuff :(

Hope you heal OK Carl, & concentrate better next time mate, can be hazardous if the old brain box isn't in gear.

Cheers..................Sean

BobL
12th May 2008, 10:27 PM
Don't get this, Bob. In my ignorance, opening the hand is the last thing I would do in a catch: wouldn't that just get the handle to fly in my face? I hang on to the tool and pull it back fast, firmly in my hands. Incidentally, that's why I would not want more than 1HP motor on my lathe. I might think differently if I were 120kg, but, as it is...:wink:

I doesn't matter how strong you are - it matters how quick you are.

If you put your hand on top of the tool and it catches big time and flips up, before you have a chance to blink it will mash the back of your hand into your work and as in carl's case drag your hand down between the rest and the work.

The other way will mangle your fingers but not as much of your hand is trapped not trapped between the work and the tool and you will have half a poofteeth more of a chance because opening your fingers is generally quicker than moving your whole arm.