PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of chain saw chaps.

BobL
9th May 2008, 09:45 PM
Here is some interesting research on the effectiveness of chain saw chaps from an article entitled, "New Zealand Logging Industry Accident Reporting Scheme Focus for a Human Factors Research Programme", by Mark Sullman and others, published in 1999 in the Journal of Safety Research.

As a preamble, chain saw chaps were made compulsory in NZ in 1985.

Overall, from 1983 to 1995, the most common mechanism of injury was cutting an unprotected area of the leg, which accounted for 16.3% of all chainsaw lacerations to the leg. This was followed closely by cutting through the protective legwear, which overall accounted for 14.5% of all chainsaw lacerations to the leg. The third most common (5.9%) mechanism of injury was the chainsaw twisting the legwear around to expose a previously protected part of the leg, which was then cut. Chainsaw lacerations to loggers not wearing protective legwear were reported up until 1990, this was despite the fact that the use of protective legwear was made compulsory for every New Zealand logging worker in 1985."

The article then identifies what changes should be made to chaps and apparently these have been put into place by most manufacturers.

These include:
-increasing the level of protection, extending the area of protection, and providing some mechanism to prevent the legwear from twisting upon contact with the chainsaw.
Good quality CS chaps should have these features.

The information on the mechanism of injury also resulted in a research project being established to further examine the 14.5% of chainsaw cuts to the leg that were the result of the chainsaw cutting through the protective legwear. The aim of the research project was to investigate how long protective legwear was able to protect the wearer at the level required by the New Zealand Standard. This research found that after six months of use by loggers, the legwear was unable to protect the wearer at the level required by the New Zealand Standard (Sullman, 1996b). This finding caused a great deal of concern, as protective legwear was often worn for many years. Therefore, the deterioration of the legwears protective properties over time may have contributed significantly to the 14.5% of chainsaw cuts to the leg that were the result of the chainsaw cutting through the protective material. Unfortunately it was not possible to determine what proportion of the 14.5% were the result of the deterioration of the legwears’ protective properties, as the purchase date is not recorded on the protective legwear and the age/condition of the legwear is rarely reported.

What this means is most old chaps offer little or no protection. Even new chaps from some suppliers still don't prevent a through cut. If you haven't seen this before then check this video out http://www.labonville.com/videos/v2.htm

At ~US$60 a pair this is cheap protection. And the bright orange ones stand out like proverbials so anyone can see you coming.

Cheers

dai sensei
9th May 2008, 09:55 PM
I bought the red kevlar chaps, but paid a lot more than US$60 :~

I have kept the link, even though American, looks like some nice stuff and with the Ausi $ so high, worth looking at.

Thanks Bob

BobL
9th May 2008, 10:07 PM
I bought the red kevlar chaps, but paid a lot more than US$60 :~

I have kept the link, even though American, looks like some nice stuff and with the Ausi $ so high, worth looking at.

I bought mine direct from that website last year when the AUS$ was around US$0.80,and it worked to cost about AUS$110 including postage. Even though the price of postage from the US has gone up the +ve change in the $ should counteract that.

quercus
10th May 2008, 12:25 AM
I paid A$200 for a set from my stihl dealer in melbourne the other day. Seems I should be buying them online

What about the chainsaw pants, rather than the chaps? Do they work as well? the chaps get so hot if you are working in any slightly warm weather or exerting yourself much.

BobL
10th May 2008, 12:51 AM
I paid A$200 for a set from my stihl dealer in melbourne the other day. Seems I should be buying them online

What about the chainsaw pants, rather than the chaps? Do they work as well? the chaps get so hot if you are working in any slightly warm weather or exerting yourself much.

I've worn the pants for a day and they are much hotter than chaps, and the outer casing is not as tough so they will get damaged more easily. I have warn my chaps over longish shorts for milling and they are not too bad but now I just don't mill when it gets too hot.

Exador
10th May 2008, 06:38 AM
Without wanting to sound stupid, what use are the chaps when milling or docking? The saw is well controlled in both operations and there should be virtually no chance of serious kickback,let alone a saw striking the legs. From my experience, the most likely time to hit the leg is when cutting at an angle, such as during felling, or if you have to clear a tangle of fallen timber, where there may be a chance of kickback on hidden branches. I've never even come close during yard operations or milling.

bitingmidge
10th May 2008, 07:58 AM
I have a chainsaw chap.

He lives next door, and used to make fences and horse yards for a living.

I feel very safe when I use him.

Cheers,

P
:D:D

BobL
10th May 2008, 09:41 AM
Without wanting to sound stupid, what use are the chaps when milling or docking? The saw is well controlled in both operations and there should be virtually no chance of serious kickback,let alone a saw striking the legs. From my experience, the most likely time to hit the leg is when cutting at an angle, such as during felling, or if you have to clear a tangle of fallen timber, where there may be a chance of kickback on hidden branches. I've never even come close during yard operations or milling.

I agree that once a CS mill is inside a cut the risk is low to very low that something will go wrong. The most dangerous time is when starting a cut. The chain is exposed and only a couple of feet away from your thighs. I reckon it looks much worse that the actual risk. The chain coming off at that point is about the only risk. I asked the milling dudes on another forum about their experiences with this and they also agree the risks are low.

The main reason/risk I wear the chaps when milling is for tidying up the log before starting the slabbing. For example when flattening parts of the top of the log so my milling frame sits OK on it. There is often sideways cutting at that point. After than I just leave the chaps on till my next break.

The more significant risks when CS milling are likely to be when handling the logs and timber. eg Dropping a slab on your foot

dai sensei
10th May 2008, 02:32 PM
I paid A$200 for a set...

Sounds familiar :-

I agree in principle, but as Bob says, there are still risks setting up and the chain coming off.

But, most of my milling will be done on road construction sites where you must have your tickets and all OH&S gear, or you don't get on site. They also help to avoid the dreaded sap itch from the saw dust.

BobL
10th May 2008, 09:44 PM
. . . .dreaded sap itch from the saw dust.

That sounds kinds nasty, never had it myself, from what sort of wood are we talking about?

dai sensei
10th May 2008, 10:41 PM
That sounds kinds nasty, never had it myself, from what sort of wood are we talking about?

I got an itchy rash from a very wet Mango we milled a while back. I often get rashes from a number of timbers though, more from the wood turning though, as I haven't done much milling.

Exador
11th May 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the info, folks. I haven't had the need for a CS slabber, so I hadn't thought about the implications

I had the chain break on the Lucas a while back, and all it did was drop off

I stiil had to go change my undies, of course :oo:.

The dust that most gets up my nose is silky, which is a shame, because it's lovely to mill, otherwise.

BobL
11th May 2008, 12:33 PM
I had the chain break on the Lucas a while back, and all it did was drop off

Of the dozen or so people that responded to a "chain breaking during CS milling" thread, one was hit in the leg (fortunately more a welt than a cut) , one running a 60" bar had part of the chain whip out of the cut but it didn't hit anyone, and the others reported the "chain just dropped off the bar".

Cheers

glock40sw
11th May 2008, 04:37 PM
G'day.
Our log yard chainsaw operators each have a set of chaps. They tried the pants but didn't like them.
The chaps get replaced every 12 months. Cost is only $300 per set.
Cheap compared to the cost of a fake leg......

BobL
11th May 2008, 04:57 PM
G'day.
Our log yard chainsaw operators each have a set of chaps. They tried the pants but didn't like them.
The chaps get replaced every 12 months. Cost is only $300 per set.
Cheap compared to the cost of a fake leg......

Sure, is but there is no need to pay $300! Go look on the site referred to on one of my posts above - $300 is 3 times what you can get professional quality chaps for direct from the US.

glock40sw
11th May 2008, 06:53 PM
Bob. The cheaper ones didn't last.
Our blokes are in them all day, every day, all year round.

We tried other brands but the blokes like the ones they use now.
I can't recall the name of them.

BobL
11th May 2008, 10:20 PM
Bob. The cheaper ones didn't last.
Our blokes are in them all day, every day, all year round.

We tried other brands but the blokes like the ones they use now.
I can't recall the name of them.

Can you expand on, "didn't last", they cut through them, or they became unstiched or tore on underbrush . . . ?
It would be worth finding out the names of the good and not so good ones if you get a chance.

I did a fair bit of research before I bought the US$60 ones I referred to in earlier posts. The feedback from the north american loggers that use them rate them as comfortable and effective, equal to or better than the most expensive chaps available.

BTW if you have damaged or dirty chaps here's a useful link about repairing and washing chaps.
http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/fmt/fmt_pdfs/053-054_03.pdf

dvdhack
13th May 2008, 10:00 AM
I bought a Stihl MS660 the other day (needed to cut some kindling :D) and given I'm the type that cant walk into the paddock without cutting, bruising or injuring myself I thought it a good idea to get some chaps.

I ordered mine from http://www.labonville.com/ (http://www.labonville.com/) they cost me $60.95 + $9 (for huge size). I got an email this morning that they had applied a $7 discount and not charged me postage. They had applied a coupon: Customer Appreciation Sale and commented that No Shipping was required.

Maybe only on your first order but essentially I got my Chaps for $US62.95 delivered.