PDA

View Full Version : Where to position the lathe

jefferson
10th May 2008, 05:14 PM
I have a Vicmark VL 300 long bed lathe. It needs to be repositioned to make way for new table saw.

I am hoping some of you will have some advice on whether I should place it up against the wall, or leave it out in the "open", away from a wall.

If I put it up against the wall, I'll have to factor in some dust control for sanding etc. Not as easy as at the moment, as there is plenty of room behind the lathe for a gulp shoot attached to the dust extractor.

I've only recently started turning, so I am hoping wiser and more experienced hands will set me of the right path.

thanks Jeff

Calm
10th May 2008, 05:34 PM
The best place would definely be in MY SHED

That will give you all the room you want for the table saw

DavidG
10th May 2008, 06:36 PM
I have the tail stock end about 500mm from the wall with the lathe at right angles to the wall.
Plenty of room for access and dust extraction.

Would be a problem if you did long boring from the tailstock end though.

dai sensei
10th May 2008, 06:58 PM
How much room do you have? It is always better to be out in the open so you have clear access from all angles. If your shed is like most (ie cramped), against the wall is fine, just try to allow at least 0.5m all round clear.

coffenup
10th May 2008, 11:05 PM
I agree with Neil. I have my lathe on a bench by the wall but have noticed lately that I am having more trouble with not enough room for my bowl chisel with the wall being to close to the back of my lathe. I am looking to set my lathe at right angle to the wall but need to build another lathe bench to do it
regards Michael:2tsup:

Groggy
10th May 2008, 11:18 PM
Jeff, we are in the same boat. I have a VL300LB too and have to open the roller door to remove the tailstock (true!). It is up against a wall and seems to be just fine where it is.

Groggy
10th May 2008, 11:20 PM
The best place would definely be in MY SHEDWell, you've succeeded in getting your point across, now to work on the subtlety bit :D

Calm
10th May 2008, 11:39 PM
Well, you've succeeded in getting your point across, now to work on the subtlety bit :D

I didnt want to leave any doubts. - you think it was a bit much:?:?

i cant beleive the thread was up for 20 minutes and i was first to get that line in:D:D:D

joe greiner
11th May 2008, 12:53 AM
Wherever you place it, leave a direct line for removal of shavings out the door. DAMHIKT.

Joe

ss_11000
11th May 2008, 01:07 AM
also, if you ever turn on the outboard, you will need room to the left of the headstock:)