PDA

View Full Version : Which wax for plane sole?

Ben from Vic.
2nd February 2004, 11:23 PM
OK, I've done a search this time, and come up blank, so here I am. :)

I was wondering what sort of wax is best for the sole of my hand plane?

And will this have any effect on the finnish I apply (usualy an oil)?

Currently I use bee's wax, but I'm running out of bee's.

I have also used high quality car wax on some of my clamps to stop them rusting, would this be better for my plane?

So many questions, so little time :(

Ben :D

AlexS
3rd February 2004, 08:09 AM
I just give it a quick swite with a candle. Lubricates OK, and doesn't seem to pick up junk.

silentC
3rd February 2004, 08:31 AM
I use U-Beaut's Traditional Wax.

From what I've read here, don't use the car wax because it contains silicone and you don't want silicone on your timber if you're going to finish it....

rodm
3rd February 2004, 11:37 AM
Does all car wax have silicone? I have some with carnaba wax but it doesn't say anything about silicone. I was wondering if they make car polish without silicone.
I have tried Inox on my table saw top and after a week I get surface rust from handprints. I am leaning towards the car or other polish hoping it will last longer.

Ben from Vic.
3rd February 2004, 12:00 PM
I'm lead to believe that some higher quality car wax's don't contain silicone, I'm pretty sure the 'Eagle One' (or something like that) that I used is silicone free.
But I have only used it on the handles on the clamps so far.

Ben

silentC
3rd February 2004, 12:43 PM
I live a stone's throw from the beach and everything made of metal rusts. I used the Traditional Wax on my jointer's tables when I bought it last year and so far there is no surface rust on it.

There've been a number of threads on this subject recently, try this one:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5623&highlight=rust+prevention

Ben from Vic.
3rd February 2004, 08:57 PM
:o Gee thanks SilentC, never thought of searching that way, sorry all.

Guess I'll have to re-attach those 'L' plates ;)

Looks like the info I'm after can be found in the archives (again) :)

Ben :D