PDA

View Full Version : Making a Revolving centre

littlebuddha
11th May 2008, 03:59 AM
Hi made myself a revolving centre today for my other lathe it has a smaller morse taper than the other and not wanting to pay out
more money thought i would make one, i have a rake of bearings so thought why not. Not much to it just get a good fit the pics tell
you all you need, just use a good hard fine grain wood for the morse taper part and a good tight fit for the bearing, the shape is
up to you whatever you might need, holding boxes vases, put spong on the front rubber a football no end of stuff you can do, i seal
the wood with thin superglue. Bit of beeswax in between the parts thats it, fun cheap and good practice. You can get bearings from
ebay mine are from skates, 22mm OD X 7MM with an 8mm hole.. LB:2tsup:

There is a PDF of this small tut if anyone wants it on my downloads page.

http://www.shapewood.co.uk

OGYT
11th May 2008, 04:52 AM
LB, that's bein' an inventor! As you said, it would be good for any number of things... limited by the imagination, so to speak. Looks like it will work a treat.
What about it being made from wood... will changes in weather have anything to do with changing the usablilty of it?
Thanks for posting this.

littlebuddha
11th May 2008, 05:36 AM
LB, that's bein' an inventor! As you said, it would be good for any number of things... limited by the imagination, so to speak. Looks like it will work a treat.
What about it being made from wood... will changes in weather have anything to do with changing the usablilty of it?
Thanks for posting this.

If you use a good fine hardwood and its dry to start and then sealed i cannot see it doing anything, that will cause any problems, if you want to use green wood then:D it should look good:o maybe use the green wood one for off set work:D:D:no: LB..:2tsup:

Tiger
11th May 2008, 07:26 AM
Great work LB. Have contemplated doing this in metal but the morse taper component always put me off, now I've got no excuse:;.

artme
11th May 2008, 08:40 AM
Good one LB.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Can see lots of potential uses for this.

wheelinround
11th May 2008, 09:37 AM
LB another brilliant piece of engineering :2tsup::2tsup:

orraloon
11th May 2008, 05:41 PM
I do like that one LB. Will be able to make centers to fit all sorts of applications.

Regards
John

funkychicken
11th May 2008, 07:20 PM
Brilliant!

joe greiner
12th May 2008, 01:14 AM
Great work, LB. And thanks for the how-to-do-it pdf too. Better engineering than my half-baked versions. Although the Morse taper was the easy part. For an internal drive cone for stage 2 ball cutting/sanding, I shaped the taper according to published dimensions, and progressively fitted it in the headstock spindle by hand. Where the metal polished the wood, I sanded it down, until it had a good fit - a little like "blueprinting" without the mess of ink. Still on my list of things to do are some other sizes for other size balls.

I was a bit too clever for my first revolving centre. It fit too well around the live centre, and I had the devil's own time removing it. For the second one, I removed the cone point of the live centre so that it could be removed with the knockout bar. A self-contained revolving centre would be a lot better, especially with interchangeable centres.

Joe