PDA

View Full Version : Staining cyprus flooring

Arron
4th February 2004, 08:25 PM
Hi. We have cyprus pine flooring. I hate the look of it. All those black knots which look like cochroaches running across the floor. The colour is pretty awful too - its hard to find furniture that matches yellow floors. I'm thinking of refinishing the floor - and staining the cyprus to a deep brown. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you should never stain a floor. I cant remember the reason why. It seems to me that it is just a piece of timber, so why not stain it. I was thinking to use wattyl craftsman stain, then perhaps an oil finish. Any thoughts ??

Arron

Dusty
4th February 2004, 09:19 PM
Funny, some people love the look of Cypress and others just hate it.

Wattyl Craftsman stain is a great product but check on some smaller pieces before you commit yourself to an entire floor.

Things to look for is the drying time on the knots, with both the stain and the oil. I've often found it can take 24 or more hours for some of the larger, denser knots to dry compared to the rest of the floor.

The other important thing to check is the compatiblity between the stain and the finish. Many times a kick stain job can be ruined by the finish reacting unfavourably with the stain. Biggest problem being that the coating reactivates the stain and it lifts and starts to move. Damn ugly.

Wattyl, have for years advised against staining floors, mainly due to the complaints they received from people who did it them selves and were'nt happy with the results and reckond it was a faulty product.
However, it was generally caused by poor sanding which of course would be amplified 100% once stain hit it. (I got this info from a former gun Wattyl trouble shooter who really knows his stuff)

Since then they have taken a sidways step and created an all in one stain and finish, which, by the way, works brilliantly on Cypress, but I'm not sure if it comes in a dark brown. Might be worth your while checking it out.

Anyway, good luck with it, whatever you do.

seriph1
5th February 2004, 09:47 AM
yeah. Like the dust-man said some love the look others hate it - like anything..... my mate has this saying I have adopted

"there's no such thing as good or bad taste - just mine and everyone else's"

Combo- stain/laquer makes sense - a LOT of prep though .... but if you hate it that much it would be worth it - after all you have to walk in and enjoy your home every night, and if the stuff is $h1tting you, then it's either that or carpet/BIG rugs different flooring

success