PDA

View Full Version : Calibrating precision mortising jig

Rocker
5th February 2004, 04:41 PM
Since the time that I posted a picture of my micro-adjustable morticing jig last year, see

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5633

several dozen members have requested and received a copy of the article describing it. I should have pointed out in that article that the jig can easily be calibrated for a particular cutter diameter, so that the distance of the mortice from the face of the workpiece can be read directly from the dial gauge. Hence, it is not necessary, once the jig is calibrated, to rout a trial mortice every time the jig is used, in order to set the fence position, so long as you are using a cutter of the same diameter as was used to calibrate the jig previously.

The calibration procedure is very simple; you rout a trial mortice; measure the thickness of wood between the routed mortice and the face of the workpiece that was butted against the vertical support, and (with the fence still locked in position) move the dial gauge until it shows the same reading as the measured distance; and lock the dial gauge in that position.

From then on the fence can be adjusted so that the mortice is routed in the desired position by setting it so that the dial gauge is reading the desired distance between the face of the workpiece and the mortice.

Rocker