PDA

View Full Version : A screwdriver for all occasions

derekcohen
18th May 2008, 03:17 AM
I made a new multi-screwdriver today. Some of you may be interested in the design.

I made one of these before but gave it away. It really was a great driver, so I had planned to make another. Here it is.

The heart of the screwdriver is a snap-on type connector (this one had a black anodised finish - which I wire brushed off). I really am not mad about the magnetic tips as these can fail and the ends drop out. The wood is Jarrah.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Screwdrivers/Screwdriver1.jpg

I added a birdcage awl to the set. This is particularly useful when starting a screw hole.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Screwdrivers/Screwdriver2.jpg

There are a large number of ends available. Here are a few ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Screwdrivers/Screwdriver3.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Rattrap
18th May 2008, 08:21 AM
looks like a nice tool but how does it feel in the hand? Thats what makes or breaks a good screwdriver.
Where did u buy the screwdriver mechanism?

derekcohen
18th May 2008, 10:09 AM
Extremely comfortable. I should have put in something for scale. It fits snug in the palm.

Fitting available at Bunnings.

Regards from Perth

Derek

routermaniac
18th May 2008, 10:32 AM
I like it Derek, looks much nicer than the plastic handled ones. What sort of lathe did you use to turn the handle?

I have played with a bit of turning myself basically for tool handles but eventually became a little frustrated with my GMC lathe. I am aware that you bought one as well a little while ago, are you still using it or have you upgraded?

PS you may have already posted this but it would be good to see a step to step post of the process you go through to make one of these handles. They really look the part.

regards

Marios

derekcohen
18th May 2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Marios

These tools should be child's play for anyone with a half-decent lathe. The GMC does not fit into this category. I have a Jet mini.

Regards from Perth

Derek

BobL
18th May 2008, 11:07 AM
looks like a nice tool but how does it feel in the hand? Thats what makes or breaks a good screwdriver.

I agree feel is really important especially when you're stuck in that awkward position with 2 screws in your mouth and can't see the hole too well.

Derek, it looks great. I can tell from here it looks real comfy - I see you made good use of a plumbing olive again - is it a 20 or 25 mm size ?

jimbur
18th May 2008, 01:24 PM
Now that looks good and I'm sure feels good.
I bought an adapter to go in my Yankee screwdrivers so that I can use other bits in it.
Your method is far more elegant and space saving.
Jim

Sawdust Maker
18th May 2008, 02:10 PM
Looks great:2tsup:
damn another item to add to the list of "must Do":rolleyes:

rhancock
18th May 2008, 02:38 PM
Straight in at Number One on my list of good reasons to buy a lathe! That is the sort of tool I would carry everywhere.

Now if you can just sort out some sort of container in the handle to keep the bits in, you'd be in business - probably literally!

dai sensei
18th May 2008, 06:43 PM
Great work Derek :2tsup:.

I was thinking of something similar myself, but as usual, still just an idea :-. I was going to hollow the handle and thread an endcap, so I could store all the bits, similar to other plastic versions around.