PDA

View Full Version : japanese cedar

coffenup
18th May 2008, 08:39 PM
What finish is good to bring a japanese cedar bowl I just turned. as I have at least enough of this timber for at least 10 more small projects. The black base on the first photo is my lathe face plate
Regards Michael

funkychicken
18th May 2008, 09:29 PM
The black base is my lathe face plate

Now tell me you're kidding:oo:

Claw Hama
18th May 2008, 09:38 PM
Sweeeat looking bowl, I'd just be going with a food safe oil, Organoil Danish, Ausie owned and produced or something like that.

rsser
19th May 2008, 05:40 PM
Send me a lump and I'll give you feedback ;-}

Can't comment on Jap Cedar specifically never having turned it.

Shellawax cream is an easy finish but I'm not sure how well it'd go with open grained timber as many cedars are.

An oil finish will 'pop' the grain on many woods. Lots of folk are turning (ahem) to Minimax wipe-on poly. My favorite is Rustins Danish Oil.

A finish to minimise darkening on application is either nitrocellulose sanding sealer or 'white' shellac, followed by a paste wax.

Hope this helps.

orraloon
19th May 2008, 07:55 PM
Nice wood, good looking bowl. Finish depends on is it a looker or a user.
A friction wax for a looker a food safe oil for a user.

TTIT
19th May 2008, 08:31 PM
Seeing you've got plenty more of the cedar, use this one to experiment a little with the finish to get it how YOU want it to look and feel - or go with Danish Oil as a safe bet :shrug: :;

Studley 2436
19th May 2008, 09:22 PM
I have done some Japanese Cedar that was in wood planes. It buffed up really well with Shellawax.

Studley

Frank&Earnest
20th May 2008, 04:23 PM
Given that the grain of your bowl looks very similar to Pinus radiata, I would second using Shellawax. Only for small size bowls, though. Maybe it's just my poor technique, but I have good results only with anything I can spin at 2500 revs and push hard.

rsser
20th May 2008, 04:59 PM
... but there are now, what, two kinds of Shellawax? Cream and glow?

(Sounds like an ad for something, well ...).

Frank&Earnest
21st May 2008, 12:16 AM
... but there are now, what, two kinds of Shellawax? Cream and glow?

(Sounds like an ad for something, well ...).

I have almost given up on the cream, I find the liquid form more forgiving. Haven't tried glow yet.

coffenup
21st May 2008, 11:53 PM
I am after a clear non colouring finish to use as I like the colour of the wood