PDA

View Full Version : Leady or Teknatool 1624

nalmo
22nd May 2008, 10:19 PM
The time has come, time to invest in a new lathe while the family is away.

I've been tossing up between the Leady & Teknatool 1624. Both seem highly reputed, similar cost with good features. I will be using it predominantly for bowl turning, with a small amount of spindle work.

My prefeerence would have been for electronic variable speed, but I'd prefer to go for a quality lathe rather than poorer quality with all the bells and whistles. DVR etc is out of the question due to cost.

Would love to hear opiinions from those who have used the lathes.

Harry72
23rd May 2008, 01:11 AM
Well I can comment on the DVR, works good... but thats not going to help you sorry

orraloon
23rd May 2008, 01:26 AM
Nalmo,
I have the leady and am very pleased with it. It is 5 speed whare the 1624 has at least 6 but I would say the leady is more robust. I have only had a quick look at a 1624 and it is a good machine but I was sold on the leady due to its clever design. It also comes with a lot of stuff. Chucks, extra rests, live centers and a recess cutter for mounting blanks on the expanding chuck. If you have a chisel or two then you are ready to turn.
They are both good I just liked the leady.

Regards
John

Jim Carroll
23rd May 2008, 08:56 AM
1624 wins hands down.

More lower end speeds for the out of round peices you put on and easy belt change.

Rum Pig
23rd May 2008, 09:07 AM
I own a Leady and I can't complain but I think you will be happy with what ever you buy.

nalmo
23rd May 2008, 09:22 AM
Does anyone in Melbourne have a Leady I might be able to have a look at? I will visit CWS to check out the Teknatool. Thanks for replies so far.