PDA

View Full Version : turning bowl repair

coffenup
25th May 2008, 10:46 PM
Hi Folks
I was turning a bowl of northern silky oak with a pine top ring. And I made a mistake and cut a hole in the side of it. So I decided not to throw it away but have a shot at a repair. This is what I came up with.
Pictures 1 to 3 are of the before including the tearout.
Pictures 4 & 5 are the saved parts
I the glued up some campour laurel thin boards and glued it all back together. And remounted it
pictures 6 to 9 are the finished bowl. finished with danish oil

Regards Michael

Chipman
25th May 2008, 10:58 PM
Just hate it when that happens:((

Nice save in the end! Sometimes in trying to recover from mistakes you come up with something even better! That is the measure of a true craftsman:2tsup:

Chipman

joe greiner
26th May 2008, 12:37 AM
Good recovery, Michael. Chipman has it mostly right. Disappointing, yes; but hateful, no. Another opportunity to exercise the ol' gray matter.

Joe

oldiephred
26th May 2008, 09:35 AM
Some call me stubborn and I call me tenacious, (same meaning but sounds better:U) You are tenacious. Most would say a few choice words and put the piece in the waste pile. Very nice recovery.

OGYT
26th May 2008, 10:13 AM
Yep... I would have put it in the scrap box. You did good! Tenacity and perseverance.

powderpost
28th May 2008, 10:29 PM
Good recovery, incidents like these are "opportunities" not 'disasters'.
Jim

orraloon
28th May 2008, 11:30 PM
A craftsman knows how to hide a mistake. Good one!

artme
29th May 2008, 08:13 AM
No such thing!!
You merely created a wonderful design opportunity on the run and it came up trumps! Good one!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

woodwork wally
30th May 2008, 10:02 PM
Hey Michael what a magic save I reckon it might be the better for the break although that sick feeling when you first go "oh sshiver me timbers" or something to that affect is only barely compensated and if I was that close I would probably have jumped on the BAS - ketball before thinking of a recovery like that Well done WW Wally

DavidG
30th May 2008, 11:07 PM
I always thought that event was the start of a glass stand. :C

littlebuddha
31st May 2008, 02:37 AM
Nice save, nothing worse than a bit of wood to throw, if you can do something with it then great, i feel it always makes you better as you learn by your mistakes, keep shaving..LB:2tsup: