PDA

View Full Version : need some technical advice

lubbing5cherubs
26th May 2008, 09:52 PM
Hi Can I ask for some technical problem with my nova gee how do i explain this. The tailstock handle is winding off the end but not winding tighter if that makes sense? Put it this way I can only tighting it if I push the whole tail stock in because the winding handle stopped working. How do I fix it?
bye Toni

Manuka Jock
26th May 2008, 10:01 PM
Toni ,
not sure what you mean . Can you clarify it a bit . Has the thread stripped ?

lubbing5cherubs
26th May 2008, 10:08 PM
no the thread is fine.
it just won't wind it in or out. The handle wheel has like come out of the tailstock
does that help any?
Toni

DJ’s Timber
26th May 2008, 10:16 PM
Is there a missing or loose grub screw on the hand wheel? Have a look to see if there is a small hole with a thread for a grub screw that locks the handle onto to spindle.

Manuka Jock
26th May 2008, 10:32 PM
It maybe that the hand-wheel has been undone too far , and the two sections inside the stock , have come unscrewed .

If so , it is just a matter of threading the two sections back into each other .
It sounds like the same thing I did on my XP .

Jarrahrules
26th May 2008, 10:49 PM
I agree with Manuka jock.
I have done this before. Just wind it in with a little pressure on the tial stock piont. This will pull it close enough to start the thread.
JAMC

lubbing5cherubs
26th May 2008, 10:51 PM
thank you I will try that in the morning much appreciated. and let you know if that works
bye Toni

RETIRED
27th May 2008, 08:30 AM
I would hazard a guess and go with DJ.

There should be a hole in the tail stock wheel. This is to allow access to a grub screw located at the top part of the tail stock.
This gub screw holds a steel plate shaped like a crescent moon in the slot that is visible at the top of the tail stock.
Get an allen key and loosen the screw, relocate the plate properly into the slot and make sure it engages the slot around the handwheel and tighten.
I have seen a few that have worn either the groove off the handwheel or the little steel plate.
In either case contact Jim for a new one.
I am assuming that you haven't unscrewed the spindle lock on the tail stock quill too far and the whole assembly is rotating.:D

OGYT
27th May 2008, 09:43 AM
Toni, the shaft on the tailstock should not be turning... if you turn the handle, and the shaft turns, then that's what says is happening.

oldiephred
27th May 2008, 09:52 AM
Not sure about your M/C but some have a groove in the spindle that a grub screw end fits into for holding once set. If that grubscrew is backed out too far then the unthreaded tip of it is out of the fgroove and the spindle turns with the screw so nothing moves.
Maybe not a very good description but might help. If your spindle has a clamping type lock then this won't help you.

Manuka Jock
27th May 2008, 01:22 PM
Toni ,
Is this problem with your Nova 1624 ?
can you post a photo ?

Jim Carroll
27th May 2008, 01:42 PM
Toni you have probably screwed the quill out to the maximum.

There is no stop to stop it from going all the way out.

Push the quill back into the tailstock and turn the handle anti clockwise and this will pick up the thread and the quill will go back into the tailstock.

Make sure the groove is facing upwards so it will line up properly with the pin near the front of the tailstock.

Dont screw the tailstock out so far, move the tailstock closer to the work with the minimum sticking out.

RETIRED
27th May 2008, 04:16 PM
Toni you have probably screwed the quill out to the maximum.

There is no stop to stop it from going all the way out.

Push the quill back into the tailstock and turn the handle anti clockwise and this will pick up the thread and the quill will go back into the tailstock.

Make sure the groove is facing upwards so it will line up properly with the pin near the front of the tailstock.

Dont screw the tailstock out so far, move the tailstock closer to the work with the minimum sticking out.Didn't think of that one.:((

SawDustSniffer
30th May 2008, 03:17 PM
i have a nova XP and when the shaft come's out the lock handle turns around and you can pull it out (up) ,
you have to undo the lock handle and line up the flat side ,then push the shaft in and wind the handle ,
it a good chance to clean out the gunk that makes it stiff

RETIRED
30th May 2008, 04:27 PM
Is it fixed Toni?

lubbing5cherubs
30th May 2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks . My husband has finally got around to having a look at it. There was a little slither of metal that had come out of the lathe that sat in a groove to hold it so it was able to be turned in out had come loose so he fixed it and now I can play again
bye TOni

RETIRED
30th May 2008, 06:07 PM
There should be a grub screw to hold that in. See post above.