PDA

View Full Version : Did I Do Good?? (Hand plane score)

DarrylF
9th February 2004, 06:32 PM
I just won an auction on eBay for 6 planes :) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2377581299

Since I only have new standard & low angle block planes, looks like this haul will fill out the collection :) I actually didn't expect to win it - thought for sure someone would come along at the last minute and out-bid me, especially since I was locked in meetings all day and wasn't online for the end of the auction.

There we no details on exactly which model numbers these guys are, but slightly educated guesses and, even if they're relatively modern versions, I think I got a bargain.

Can anyone fill me in on the model numbers (Derek?) ? Did I get the sorta deal I think I did?

soundman
9th February 2004, 09:59 PM
the steel (bailey type) look like a no7, no5, no4 the otheres I couldnt say.

the three steel planes are typical kit, a good selection.

cheers

how much if you dont mind?

DarrylF
9th February 2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks. Got a reply from the seller. The router plane is a #71, the smoother is a #4 1/2. The block plane is a #220. Just under $200 for the lot.

rodm
9th February 2004, 10:48 PM
Sorry to tell you but I think they are mine. If they have got Stanley marked in the castings then I'm sure they are the ones I misplaced a while back. :D :D
Send them over to me after you tune them up.
Nice to get a bargain Darryl and I guess we all know what you will be doing for the next couple of weeks.

derekcohen
9th February 2004, 11:49 PM
The wood plane looks like an ECE or Granitie.

Very nice haul.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tankstand
10th February 2004, 04:06 AM
Darryl, please be cautious, I note that this is the sellers first auction. If possible, pick the items up from him and pay with cash.
I never buy from people unless they have a proven track record I.E plenty of sales with positive feed back. I hope the transaction goes well as you seem to have done very well for yourself.

DarrylF
10th February 2004, 06:17 AM
Blind luck I think. About bloody time I had some :)

Spoke to the seller last night on the phone. I'll pick up & pay cash tonight after work - he's in Sydney so I was reasonably comfortable even though it's his first auction.

Really nice genuine guy, clearing some tools for his mate's widow apparently. He seems happy they're going to someone who'll use them rather than a dealer. There's a bunch of other tools as well I'm told.

davo453
10th February 2004, 12:00 PM
Looks like a real good deal to me, I can’t believe I missed it, honestly the one week you don’t look and a bargain comes up. !!! :)

I’ve bought and sold quite a few planes and many other tools over eBay and never had a problem, others have different stories to tell though.

My only drama has been the Paypal service that you often have to use if buying from the US (never again).

DarrylF
10th February 2004, 09:26 PM
Deal done, cash paid and planes picked up. Got an extra one as well - $220 all up.

#4 - older, wooden tote
#4 1/2 - plastic tote
#5 - plastic tote
#7 - plastic tote
#71 - complete
Wooden plane
Spare #4 blade

Lots of work to do on them - surface rust on most of the blades & cap irons, odd surface rust spots on some of the soles & sides, pink paint spots on most of the metal planes. Nothing terminal, but lots of cleaning to do, and lots of sharpening. The former owner was a little ham fisted with sharpening, but again nothing terminal. No significant dings or other damage.

So all in all not the deal of the century, but I'm quite pleased. Sets me up well I think, without spending a fortune, and I can add/replace with better versions later as the inclination & opportunity arises.

I'm contemplating making my own replacement totes & knobs from rosewood, river redgum or something similar. Hate the plastic :)

I'll post some pics & more details after I get a chance to play with them on the weekend.

Any ideas on removing the pink paint without removing the japanning??

Caliban
10th February 2004, 09:48 PM
Hey Darryl
I was at the Toukley markets in early January and the guy there who always has hand tools had a nice stanley no. 7. He wanted $135 for it. So your deal seems pretty good to me. Well done. By the way how did you go with the renovations on your mates verandah?
cheers
Jim

Driver
10th February 2004, 10:15 PM
Well done, Darryl! That's a pretty good collection for the price.

You've probably got a fair bit of work in front of you - especially with the more modern units with the plastic handles. Don't be put off, however. I bought a new Stanley #4 nearly three years ago. I've replaced the plastic front knob and tote with rosewood replacements, fitted a Lie-Neilsen cutting iron and chip-breaker and spent a lot of time fettling the base and sides. It's now a very useful plane. Feels good and works very smoothly.

I thoroughly applaud your plan to make your own knobs and totes, I wimped out and bought Crown replacements. (But I've got a couple of failed attempts lying on the bench right now. I'll get it right next time!)

Make some shavings, mate!

Regards

Col

DarrylF
11th February 2004, 10:10 PM
I think I'm a while off making shavings with these planes :)

Unpacked them all tonight and started cleaning up the #4. It has a couple of cracks around the mouth, nothing too dramatic, each at a corner and maybe 10mm long - but will they affect the plane in use?

The blade is essentially shot - ground at an angle that would require taking probably 2-3mm off one end to straighten it, and it's used up to the point that the bevel ends maybe 5mm from the hole. Looks like a new blade at least. Tote & knob are wood - not rosewood, but basically intact & solid. Background of the Stanley logo is yellow. Not sure if it's worth restoring with the cracks & all?

The #71 has rosewood knobs & what seems to be a full set of cutters, and is in good condition. A keeper.

The #220 is in good nick. Wood knob and intact. I already have a new 220, so maybe this one is a clean up & eBay job. Haven't decided yet.

Jim: He wound up insisting we leave it alone :) I think basically he wanted to take the rest of his holidays to do other stuff.

John Saxton
11th February 2004, 11:06 PM
Well done Darryl,there are sites out there that offer up wooden replacements>handles>knobs/hock blades to enhance your planes to offer up that aesthetic,practical use/value to you.

Glad you had a win

Cheers:)