PDA

View Full Version : Odd Allen key size. Where to get one?

lubbing5cherubs
31st May 2008, 08:34 PM
Hi I need to obtain an allen key that is not the the normal to tighten the pulleys on my little motor that runs the ornamental turning stuff the pulley is very loose where would I get a key for it. Because at the moment I the pully is come off so I can't use it.

I bought a kit today of imperial and metric, the 1.5mm us too small, the 2mm is too large. the 5/64 is too large. where do I get in between 1.5mm and 2mm from?? does anyone have any suggestion please?
thanks Toni

Calm
31st May 2008, 08:38 PM
Are they a pefect 6 sided or are they ore star shaped which is a TORK screw. Supersheap & bunnies have cheap sets that include screwdiver bits, torks, allen keys etc . about $10 to $20

Hope that helps.

lubbing5cherubs
31st May 2008, 08:44 PM
they are hexagon. in shape from what I can see
Toni
but then again after another look they might be round

DJ’s Timber
31st May 2008, 08:51 PM
It's quite possible that the bolt or grub screw that you tighten is worn which is why the allen key won't fit. I would be pulling the bolt or grub screw out and replacing it so that a normal allen key fits.

lubbing5cherubs
31st May 2008, 09:21 PM
Won't the thread be a different thread?

Canetoad
31st May 2008, 09:29 PM
have you tried a 1/16" thats 1.6 mm

DJ’s Timber
31st May 2008, 09:35 PM
What I'm saying Toni, is that the allen key part of the bolt has worn from use, so the hole is bigger which means that the original 1.5mm?? is now too small but the 2mm is to big, so by removing the worn bolt and replacing it with a new one of the same thread the 1.5mm will fit, that's if its metric.

joe greiner
31st May 2008, 11:38 PM
Hex sockets that small are very prone to the damage DJ mentions. It takes only a wee bit of dust to prevent the key from making a secure purchase, and then the socket becomes closer to round, as well as the key. If appearance is not overly important, I'd replace the grub screw with a longer cap screw with round or domed Phillips head. The metal of such a screw isn't as strong, but adequate for the purpose at hand. Same with chuck jaw screws, except use countersunk Phillips head.

Joe

Claw Hama
31st May 2008, 11:53 PM
If you have a spare 2mm you can file them down until they fit neatly or extract with an ezeout and like the guys say above put in a new grub screw. Engineers supplies will have all the sizes in either allen keys or grub screws. If you replace the grub screw get one with a protruding square head on it so you can tighten/loosen with a spanner. "Engineers supplies" ie Blackwoods/Westfarmers or look in the yellow pages in your area.

lubbing5cherubs
1st June 2008, 02:26 PM
I took it over to a mechanic mate of mine and his 1.5mm allen key did fit. go figure the kit I bought must be off in size. but anyway it is all tightened again so I am away
bye Toni

DJ’s Timber
1st June 2008, 02:53 PM
Great news Toni :2tsup:

bsrlee
1st June 2008, 10:39 PM
At least it is not Korean - every batch of gear that has screw threads is a different spec - not recognisably metric or imperial, just some weird amalgam. Best guess is that they get the bolts/screws & inserts or whatever in a batch & the supplier grinds his own tooling to whatever suits him, then cuts say a metric pitch with a Whitworth profile.