PDA

View Full Version : Router's whcih one

Zed
10th February 2004, 11:14 AM
Hi,

Not being the richest bloke in the world I am saving $50 a week from my lunch money that SWMBO allows me and when I have enough I will buy myself a router.

I have done a bit of research (mainly AWR) but dont have any conclusive info on which is the one I should buy. Seems that the article that did the review (AWR 33 I think) had a number of different blokes that did each review so consistancy was not the best - a bit like comparing apples to oranges - eg they did not have a table that compared each brand's power, collet size, dust extraction, ease of use, saftey, depth stop system, cost, weight, bad points etc... So at the end of the day I still dont know which one to get. I must admit I do have a personal preferance for Makita as my brand of choice but the impression I get from the article is that It may not be the best around.

For the record I will be using it for home handyman and hobby construction such as tables, cabinets, dovetailingm setting inlays, etc... eventually using it as the permanent router in a router table... I understand that The Triton is a reasonably good one but :D I've done a bit of trashing :D on this forum with regard to the Triton so I'm knashing my teeth on buyting the triton - I'm scared that I'll start collecting triton gear which is a worry!!! :)

Any input is appreciated - apologies for those of you who have seen this before but I did a search and I don t think this exact question has popped up before.

TOMARTOM
10th February 2004, 12:06 PM
If you have enough coin, then I would go the Makita 3612c, it has all the functions of what should be expected from a router, but is quite expensive. Hitachi make a good router in the TR12, but not V/S, S/S etc, I don't know anything about the M12V.The festo undoubtably expensive but I couldn't justify the cost. PortaCable also expensive, and probably, the 3 1/4 HP is needed over the 2HP model, again cost.

regards
tony

Termite
10th February 2004, 12:20 PM
IMHO Triton. Regardless of what you or I may think of some of their products, I personally feel this is a very good router. I researched the issue fully and ended up buying one for my home built router bench, which also has an Incra Jig 16 on it.
Kind regards
Termite

silentC
10th February 2004, 12:33 PM
Zed,

Go with your instincts, go with the blue. I've got a 3612c and I've got no complaints about it. Plus they have the best advertising material :D

Make sure the one you buy has variable speed control - mine hasn't, which limits the size of bits I can use.

Zed
10th February 2004, 01:26 PM
All,

Thanks for replies - I just realiseed I forgot to add Triton as a response to the poll - apologies - how do I fix that ? or must a admonstrator fix it ?

Sir Stinkalot
10th February 2004, 01:44 PM
Its an admin fix. :D

Cambo
10th February 2004, 01:45 PM
You've also forgotten one of the best (IMHO) - Bosch. Powerful, variable speed, good height adjustment and multiple depth stops, good dust extraction. It gets the vote for me....

Cliff Rogers
10th February 2004, 02:19 PM
G'day.

I picked up the Hitachi M12V from Tradetools Qld for $389.
I tossed up between it & the MAKITA 3612C for a while.
Their price for the 3612c is $523
They are very similar as far as I can see, except for the price.
The general feedback from this forum was that the Name 'Hitachi' generally has a better record for longivity than the Name 'Makita'.
So far I am fairly happy with it.
The only things I can pick on are both to do with the Fine Adjustment Knob.
1. When you are backing it off, there is no indication when the knob is about to unscrew off the end of the threaded shaft.
I think that problem could be overcome by fitting a longer threaded shaft.
2. When you are winding it in or out, the plunge column on the side away from the Fine Adjust tends to bind a bit. To overcome this, if the unit is not in a table, wobbling the base plate while adjusting the dept with the Fine Adjust helps. If it's mounted in a table, wobbling the head of the router while turning the Fine Adjust knob works.

Other than that, I'm happy. I can't believe how much quieter it is than my little old 1/4" AEG.

zymurgy
10th February 2004, 04:00 PM
And what about a place to vote for my Dewalt.

Gordon.

Ben from Vic.
10th February 2004, 05:22 PM
Whatever you buy, plug it in, fire it up (before you hand over your cash) and see how loud it is.

Size, weight, power, etc are all important, but we always forget our ears.

It's nicer on us, our family and the people next door.

I always wear hearing protection of course, but it's much nicer if it's more a precaution than essential.

My 2 cents

Ben......BEN.......BBBEE....ah forget it. :(

:D :D

Duramen
10th February 2004, 05:41 PM
First Post. I recently purchased a Hitachi M12V for $347 at Bunning’s (Bonnyrigg), they have 2 or 3 left, they are discontinuing M12V model. At $347 for a brand new Hitachi M12V do I need to say any more.:D :D

Template Tom
10th February 2004, 10:34 PM
It would be great if you could have the opportunity to 'try before you buy'. Everyone has there own preference as to what they want. It is important to look for certain features before you purchase.
Can it be used both in the table position and the plunge mode?
Is the cutter selection restricted by the size of the opening in the base?
Can the depth of cut be fixed easily?
Does it have variable speed to permit the use of the larger cutters?
My Favourite consideration Can it take template guides?
and is there a 40mm guide available for purchase?
Tom

Dusty
11th February 2004, 04:50 PM
I've given Triton the nod.

Packed with features. Safe. Excellent in the table.

However, I can see why many blokes are big wraps for Makita gear. It all seems to be of great quality.

But over Christmas, we had visitors from the states and the fellow is a building contractor and he surprised the hell out of me by saying that he buys Makita for his tradies to use on site, and the reason he buys Makita is 'cause in America they're considered to be crap and it doesn't matter too much if they are stolen from job sites. (Which apparently happens often in the states)
So, over there, they are considered cheap and easily replaceable, yet here, owning Makita gear is something to be proud of.

So, are we being sucked in by good marketing? Or is this guy talking through his ten gallon hat? I dunno.

derekcohen
11th February 2004, 05:16 PM
I use an Elu 177e as my main router. It is a large, 1/2" and 2 1/2 HP machine. It is now about 12 years old and as good as the day I purchased it. Expensive in its day (as much as the large Festo), but worth every penny. It has formed the basis for the de Walt machines, since Elu became a subsidery of Black & Decker. I wouldn't trade it for anything new as it is built like the proverbial Brick Sh*thouse!

My smaller machine is a Makita, a 1/4" and 1 1/2 HP router that I use for more intricate, handheld work. This one is also no longer available but goes on and on.

Were I to buy a new, large machine I think I'd look favourably at the Porter-Cable units. There is one model in particular which enables you to swap bases (handy to leave the fixed-base section in a router table), yet has 2 1/2 HP and all the features of the Triton for bit changing.

I still like the Festo. Expensive but quality that will last. Smooth action and, importantly for me, a relatively quiet motor.

I like the Makitas for their durability but have never been sold on their ease of use (the ones I have used were not smooth movers).

The Hitachi has a reputation as a "screamer" - toooo loud.

The Triton looks to be a good machine for a table but I wonder what it is like to use hand-held?

I would also not consider de Walt since their rep for reliability is a bit suspect.

Hope this helps.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Sprog
11th February 2004, 05:17 PM
I have a Makita 3612 and a Triton router.
The Triton wins hands down, table mounted or hand held.

MikeK
11th February 2004, 05:32 PM
Zed,

I've got a Triton and love it. Here is a link to a review of the tool:

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/tritonrouter.htm

Regards,
Mike.

kenmil
11th February 2004, 07:41 PM
I have the Triton which stays in the table and does a very good job there. (Bit too top heavy for my liking when out of the table.) I also have a Makita 3620, a GMC R2050 and a Makita laminate trimmer. All good at their respective jobs. I agree with the comment about the Hitachi machines. Very strong, but also very noisy. Like most things, it often comes down to personal preference when there is not much difference between them.

John Saxton
11th February 2004, 10:42 PM
Zed,I didnt poll simply because your requirements are very much varied in their applications and having quite a range of routers I thought that for your needs I may favour one over the other which is not necessarily an easy task.

Your needs apparently require a mid range router one that is comfortable to use over a long period without any discomfort.

Whether you intend to adhere to a 1/2 or 1/4 inch router is another question but there are a varied range of routers that are comfortable to use over, as well as under the table.

For your inlay requirements you will need !/4" application on your router which in the least would need a collett to offer up that advantage.
"Template Tom" offers good advice having been an advocate of routers and a teacher in woodwork for quite a number of years and does not offer up advice lightly without due consideration.

May I suggest that you try the machines out for weight> feel>and if possible in a motive action that may determine your decision.Some will allow you to do this but bear in mind that that you try if possible the machine with the requiered features.
A good retailer worth his weight will go with your request ...it might cost slightly more than the "WAREHOUSE" facility but it will get where you want to be.

Cheers:)

Zed
12th February 2004, 07:18 AM
thanks guys - advice appreciated. Must say am not surprised that big Mak & Triton are the popular choices - I shoudl run a sub poll that asks "of you who voted for Triton who is addicted to the orange and thus owns all the Triton gear anyway ?" :-)

I assume you're all guys ? except for all you purse carrying Manly and Brisbane fans of course.... Go Eels!http://www.ubeaut.biz/flamer.gif

Geoff Sims
13th February 2004, 02:20 AM
Hi

I've got the Triton, a Hitachi TR12 and a Porter Cable 1/4" (can't remember model no) and I enjoy using them all. The Triton stays in the table, the Hitachi gets used for plunge and template work and the Porter Cable is great for inlays, laminate trimming, etc.

If I was only in a position to own one of the above machines, it would have to be the Triton for sure.

I've used a number of Makitas too, but wouldn't swap what I've got.

Cheers

derekcohen
13th February 2004, 05:22 PM
See the following thread for another router discussion.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7388

Regards from Perth

Derek:D :D :D

Driver
14th February 2004, 11:04 AM
Derek

If you keep this up, you'll have the blokes thinking you're not NORMal!:D :D :D

soundman
15th February 2004, 10:59 PM
If I could only afford one router Id go for the TR12. agian.

mine has not given a problem in 6 years.

good steady unit thousands out there.

cheers

Template Tom
15th February 2004, 11:22 PM
Soundman

I agree that the Hitachi router is a great machine and like you I have been using one for the past ten years. One of the great features of the Hitachi is the vernier type scale for setting the depth of cut

ubeaut
19th February 2004, 11:50 PM
Yep TR 12...... Mine is now over 25 years old and still going strong It has outlasted 4 others (from other manufacturers). If I had to replace it with a new router tomorrow it would definitely be another TR 12.
More... (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4559&perpage=15&highlight=tr12&pagenumber=2)

Zed
20th February 2004, 11:36 AM
How did Hitachi jump up to 32 all of a sudden ? U did this have anything to do with your influence ? :)

ubeaut
21st February 2004, 07:14 AM
Sorry Zed - I don't have that much influence. :(

Maybe it's because they've been around for ever and are pretty well bullet proof. There must have been millions of them sold in the years they have been on the market.

By the way look again there are now 35.

Cheers - Neil http://www.ubeaut.biz/laughing.gif

Mc
21st February 2004, 11:39 AM
Ock-aye-th'noo. Zed my wee friend it's now 38 an climin. If ye bide a wee while it'll be up ta 40 or moor.

I just voted an I must say that I love ma Hitachi. It's 28 years young an has neever missed a beat. Now uf oonly th wife was as reliable......

Mc

Zed
8th March 2004, 08:41 AM
Well I did it - bought the Trition - I may have to paint it light blue. looks like robby the robot! more features than a cimena megaplex. great unit. RRP is now $398 which is a drop of about $50 so if your in the market get one now!

i will now need to get a Routers basics book so I dont kill myself using it!

Moderator feel free to shut the poll if oyu wish otherwise leave it running... ta

echnidna
18th April 2004, 03:15 PM
A router?
Just 1 router? Its horses for courses.

I have a TR12 in my router bench with a power feeder, can't kill it.
Its had 2 new sets of bearings in its long life and still unstoppable.
Variable speed would be nice but ....

For bench work I have a 1/2"GMC and 4 - 1/4" GMC routers to save swapping bits if I get into a repetitive mood. With the GMC warranty I regard them as disposable units.

I forgot, I have a near new 1/4" Bosch which is a heap of fertiliser.
Should dig it out and put it on ebay and replace it with another GMC or 2.

jackiew
19th May 2004, 10:07 AM
warning ... if you try and buy a router from Bunnings in Nunawading and you have bumps on your chest be prepared to do battle to be allowed to purchase anything larger than the smallest Router...."We don't like to sell the more powerful tools to the ladies ...." . Having finally convinced the charming but somewhat misguided sales assistant that I really didn't want the little Bosch I then tried to buy a straight router bit ( they keep them locked up in a cabinet ). The guy then floored me by saying - are you sure "they're very expensive you know ...." . Like the Router was going to be much use with no bits!!!!

Zed
19th May 2004, 01:49 PM
sounds like sexixt behaviour to me jackie, you should sue 'em... :eek:

at the very least you might be able to con them out of some additional bits...

woodymarts
11th June 2004, 08:55 AM
I have a dewalt router (the rolls royce of the rotter world):D
woodymarts:)

bitingmidge
11th June 2004, 09:42 AM
I think it's time for a new Router poll....the results of this one are probably skewed in the light of everyone recently purchasing between three and five GMC routers at $39.00

Cheers,

p

Honest Gaza
11th June 2004, 11:04 AM
I have a Makita 3612BR which is left permanently mounted under the Triton Router Table and a "cheap" Ryobi ( $98 Big W ) which is used for Handheld use. The Makita is not variable speed but the Ryobi is.

When owning 1 router only, there is a tendancy to use it in the current state at the time required ( ie. table mounted or handheld ). Unfortunately, this is not always the "safest" way. By having one mounted and another available for freehand, safety issues are minimised.

Honest Gaza

Iain
12th June 2004, 11:05 AM
I bought a brand new Hitachi TR12 for $99.00, that was 20 years ago and still going strong, also have two Makita's and a couple of rebearinged(sotto voce) ozito's in a permanent jig for the Gifkin dovetail unit.
I wouldn't consider them for anything else, horrible little screamers.
And Jackie, what do you need bits for, we only have tools to put on display to show how many we have :D
And the Triton bits aren't bad either.

Ivan in Oz
8th August 2004, 04:53 PM
A router?
Just 1 router? Its horses for courses.
< SNIP >
I forgot, I have a near new 1/4" Bosch which is a heap of fertiliser.
Should dig it out and put it on ebay and replace it with another GMC or 2.

G'Day Echnidna,
Is that you flogging the 1/4" Bosch on ebay now?
I've got one, and won't sell it.........waste of time and effort.
It's now there [somewhere in the cupboard], JiC :rolleyes:
The 'Worrior' Router goes out in the next Garage sale.............WHY did I buy "IT"???

Count

Suresh
8th August 2004, 06:40 PM
I have recently bought the Triton for my fourth router and it is the best by a long shot. I started with a GMC, switch problem, returned and got another one under warranty. A laminate trimmer, and a Makita 3612. the triton is fantastic as a table mounted router, great changing bits, variable speed etc, I wish I had bought it first off, however the price has dropped considerably since I first looked.
Suresh

kiwigeo
8th August 2004, 08:37 PM
warning ... if you try and buy a router from Bunnings in Nunawading and you have bumps on your chest be prepared to do battle to be allowed to purchase anything larger than the smallest Router...."We don't like to sell the more powerful tools to the ladies ...." . Having finally convinced the charming but somewhat misguided sales assistant that I really didn't want the little Bosch I then tried to buy a straight router bit ( they keep them locked up in a cabinet ). The guy then floored me by saying - are you sure "they're very expensive you know ...." . Like the Router was going to be much use with no bits!!!!
Thats unacceptable......did you end up buying anything from the turkey?

kiwigeo
8th August 2004, 08:42 PM
Didnt vote....no option for Trends. Have a T 3 which hasnt given me any grief so far. At time of purchase it was a toss up between Porter Cable, Festool and the Trend. Trend won out on value for money.

As an aside....the machine was bought 12 months ago and the wife hasnt yet noticed....might get a few more bits of machinery while Im on a roll!!

Gumpy
11th August 2004, 09:58 AM
I voted the Hatachi. I have had a TR12 for about 20 years now even though it does not get a lot of work from day to day, it's still done it's fair share of heavy work in its life.

On the other hand I have at my disposal the GMC, Makita, Towa and Black and Decker routers and they all perform the job required. I must say though I have taken a liking to the D Handle GMC routers that I bought for $40 each. How long they last is another question.

Daniel

barnsey
11th August 2004, 06:29 PM
My first router - a triton
Grunt,
Variable speed - great for the larger bits and when I'm moulding the Brush box!
Great in the table,
I would say that it's centre of gravity when hand held tends to be something you need to get used too - a bit top heavy and prone to tilting.

For WIW

Gwhat
17th August 2004, 08:57 AM
Having sold my long serving TR12 some time ago to buy a Triton, I now want to go back to a Hitachi. The M12V has all the right features, so fellow WW's with respect for our hard earned $$$'s where is the best deal??? Victoria preferred.

Regards
Gwhat

aljenit
17th August 2004, 03:00 PM
a makita 3612 went at the auction house for $90 this morning.I was so dumbstruck I couldn't even whimper a bid :o Other treasures included a Stanley 71 hand router for $70 and a Stanley combo plane for $105.Why do I torture myself by watching? :confused: As I sit here my shed is being erected outside the window.Happy,happy days (3.8 by 3.0) metres of MINE MINE MINE.It may be small,but it shall be productive.

barrysumpter
26th August 2004, 08:39 AM
Before the Triton came along I purchased the Bosche 1300 ACE.

Standard in-depth research resulted in the ACE being the best features for the best price at $300.

I just picked up the Triton last night.
$230 in brand new condition. Instead of bunnings $399.

Intended for the table since its top heavy.
And the beautiful Bosch 1300 ACE for hand held work.

All the Triton desingers had to do was to look at every router on the market at the time and pick out the best features and start from there. Targeting their own products and a reasonable price range. Not an easy task but they had an incredible head start compared to 25 years ago.

Ended up being packaged with an incredible amount of features.

I wonder what went into the 25 year old routers?
What else was on the market 25 years ago to compare features and price?
Its hard (for me) to think they even had plunging rounters back then. :p And forget about a variable depth gague. Yeah, I'm showing my, what?, 5 years of interst in woodworking. :D

All the best.

rbjozzia
31st August 2004, 11:24 PM
I have had a Hitachi TR12 for about 25 - 30 years and is still going strong, A bit heavy for hand held work though. I mounted it in a Leigh FMT with excellent results and will mount it in a table soon. I recently bought a de Walt 621, this is easier to handle (lighter), good dust extraction. Pat Warner gives it a good rev. www.patwarner.com, but it needs an offset sub base for more effective control.

Template Tom
1st September 2004, 08:45 PM
I have had a Hitachi TR12 for about 25 - 30 years and is still going strong, A bit heavy for hand held work though. I mounted it in a Leigh FMT with excellent results and will mount it in a table soon. I recently bought a de Walt 621, this is easier to handle (lighter), good dust extraction. Pat Warner gives it a good rev. www.patwarner.com, but it needs an offset sub base for more effective control.
With the use of template guides fo a great number of projects and constructing a template the weight is taken care of

Kris.Parker1
11th September 2004, 04:32 PM
Up the mighty Triton router, bought it a little while ago now and it still runs like a charm!

Chum
11th September 2004, 04:51 PM
I have had my Hitachi for about 19 years and I notice the new ones are much the same. I have dropped it, treated it with a fair bit of disrespect and it keeps on going. Fits well it my Triton router table as well.

Chum

MarkV
11th September 2004, 05:52 PM
I too have had an Hitachi for about 20yrs and yes it does make a bit of noise but it certainly is still going strong. For my next one I will look at variable speed for bigger bits

Woodlice
8th March 2005, 03:59 PM
I picked up my Triton about a week ago (using the Bunnings 10% idea...)

Gotta say, Im not a pro but this machine has got everything I will ever need. Prior to this I have been using a very old Hitachi and a Makita that I got from garage sales. Having three routers seems to me excessive and I'll likely get rid of the Mak (not V/S) but having two is very handy for keeping different setups.

Next on the list is the bench.

Another poll question: can you have enough (or too many) router bits AND which do you find yourself using most?

J!

Iain
8th March 2005, 04:11 PM
Unfortunately routers are like clamps, just when you think you have enough you find you need another.
6 routers and climbing.
Clamps...no idea...bloody lots.

soundman
8th March 2005, 11:44 PM
tooo many routers is barely enough. :D