PDA

View Full Version : 3point steady and goblet

thefixer
1st June 2008, 10:22 PM
G'day forumers

Made a 3 point steady today and to test it out I turned up this goblet. Timber is redgum from an old fence post. Sanded to 1200 and finished with shellawax glow. And Skew if your out there, don't give me any grief about the thickness of the stem.:D This stuff was so full of fiddleback that I was expecting it to cut loose at any minute. Real butt clenching stuff it was.
All criticisms gratefully accepted. Except on the stem:cool:

Cheers
Shorty

joe greiner
1st June 2008, 11:04 PM
Very nice design and construction of the steady - simple and straightforward.

What kind of grief were you expecting about the stem? Looks fine to me; slender, with flowing profile; substantially symmetric bowl and foot about the central bead/groove.

Dimensions?

Joe

TTIT
1st June 2008, 11:19 PM
Fine looking goblet Shorty :2tsup:
Your steady-rest looks very similar to the one I made for my old MC900 - worked fine but the noise it made was shockin'. If I ever make another one it will have the rubber wheels like roller-blades or such like to dampen the roar!:;

thefixer
1st June 2008, 11:24 PM
Very nice design and construction of the steady - simple and straightforward.

What kind of grief were you expecting about the stem? Looks fine to me; slender, with flowing profile; substantially symmetric bowl and foot about the central bead/groove.

Dimensions?

Joe
Thanks for the comments Joe. I would like the stem to be a little bit thinner but wasn't game to go any further with this particular piece of wood
Cheers
Shorty

thefixer
1st June 2008, 11:27 PM
Fine looking goblet Shorty :2tsup:
Your steady-rest looks very similar to the one I made for my old MC900 - worked fine but the noise it made was shockin'. If I ever make another one it will have the rubber wheels like roller-blades or such like to dampen the roar!:;

Your right about about the noise TTIT but the roller blade wheels dont get close enough to hold thin stuff like the stem of a goblet, especially when you need to flip it around and finish off the underside of the base

Cheers
Shorty

BobL
1st June 2008, 11:40 PM
If anything I thought the stem was a tad thin for the size of the bowl! :oo:

BTW: If you want to put tyres on your steady bearings follow the thread to my steady in my signature.

Cheers

Chipman
1st June 2008, 11:46 PM
You have done remarkably well to go that thin in fiddleback redgum:2tsup:

I don't think I could do it!

Must try making one of those steady thing-a-me's

Chipman

hughie
2nd June 2008, 12:10 AM
Hi Shorty,

I reckon its looks just fine the stem especially. :2tsup: If I was to nit pick maybe have the goblet part a little fuller to give more sweep to the curve.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd June 2008, 12:35 AM
And Skew if your out there, don't give me any grief about the thickness of the stem.:D

:U No grief from me. On the contrary, I'm quite impressed. Especially given that it's fiddle-backed. (My last two attempts failed for exactly that reason... :B)

Greenie launched!

thefixer
2nd June 2008, 12:36 AM
Hi Shorty,

I reckon its looks just fine the stem especially. :2tsup: If I was to nit pick maybe have the goblet part a little fuller to give more sweep to the curve.

Yeah, your right Hughie, It was much fuller but a massive tear out in the fiddleback forced me into plan "B"

Cheers
Shorty

thefixer
2nd June 2008, 12:38 AM
:U No grief from me. On the contrary, I'm quite impressed. Especially given that it's fiddle-backed. (My last two attempts failed for exactly that reason... :B)

Greenie launched!

Thanks Skew

Cheers
Shorty

Gil Jones
2nd June 2008, 04:36 AM
Fine looking goblet!!
Well made steady, too.
Have you ever tried a "string steady"?
http://www.lavieenbois.com/tournage/trembleur_eng.htm

OGYT
2nd June 2008, 08:58 AM
Nice steady. Nice goblet. But that stem............... :D
Just kiddin'... Well done, Shorty. :U

artme
2nd June 2008, 06:37 PM
Tremendous effort all round!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
When I get to fiddle with fiddleback I hope my fiddling comes back that well.