PDA

View Full Version : Tinted builders bogg

deadwood
4th June 2008, 06:56 PM
Hi. This is my first time so be gentle ok.
Firstly may i say that this is a terrific site. It's great to know there are lots of people out there with the same affinity with wood as myself. That said, on to my topic. I have a nice piece of malley (never sure of spelling) on my lathe. It has the usual cracks, borers & knots you would expect. I am on my way home to try out some builders bogg tinted with acrylic artists paint. let me know how you think it will go (very interested in your advice but i want to do it now!). I'll take some pics when its done and we'll see.
I'll try and keep it short & sweet next time, sorry for blabbing on but as i said it's my first time. Looking forward to any and all responses.
cheers Mike.(deadwood). Doh!! my cover's blown.

Tony Morton
4th June 2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Mike

I have used builders bog for a number of years and I use brickies oxide to colour it, works for me.

Cheers Tony

blackhole
4th June 2008, 09:32 PM
Is builders bogg the same as car repair bogg?

deadwood
4th June 2008, 09:55 PM
No. Builders bog is more (like the name suggests) for building & construction materials like wood, brick & masonary; though it does say metal on the label. The bogg you fix cars with is like a fibreglass resin/epoxy. its almost the same colour though. Damn pigments in the hardener make it difficult to tint to anything other than a timber colour.

littlebuddha
4th June 2008, 10:36 PM
Bogg never heard of it but as pointed out about the car filler, then yes i use an isopon product which is a resin filler i go for the one with a metalic in it and use acrylic artist paint straight from the tube, the harder that comes with the fill is red sometimes yellow, and i have used all different colours added to it and have had no problems with colour or hardening. I like the added matalic rather than just a solid colour, although depends on the work to.:2tsup: Have fun..LB

deadwood
4th June 2008, 11:59 PM
Yeh? builders bogg. Been round for years, must be an Ausie thing. I'll have a hunt around for that stuff your using though.(hope its not just an british thing). Thanks for the tip.
Cheers. Mike

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th June 2008, 12:05 AM
I find that the "Builder's Bog" brand of builder's bog works fine for infill work, but no matter how hard you try it'll always have a matte - or at best, satin - finish. If you want a gloss finish, stick with an epoxy.

I like to tint the stuff with black printer's ink (as used in a press) 'cos it dries with a metallic appearance, very similar to lead/pewter. I think that they use very small silica beads as "body" in the bog, which is both why it always appears matte and shows that metallic effect.

tea lady
5th June 2008, 10:49 AM
How about some pics of these various fillers in finished pieces? I'd be very interested to see.:2tsup:

deadwood
5th June 2008, 11:28 AM
I am also very interested to see, however I'll have to get some more shed hours up before I can show you. I'm 2sm by the way.
Cheers. Mike

Vernonv
5th June 2008, 11:35 AM
I think you'll find that builders bog and standard car bog are basically the same thing (two part, styrene based fillers) ... just marketed differently.

TTIT
5th June 2008, 05:29 PM
Way back in my dreamtime I tried some car bog dyed with black stain in a Banksia bowl - :yucky: :puke: - it went a rank odd color nowhere near black and wouldn't take a polish (as Skew said) but it did machine OK :shrug:

woodwork wally
5th June 2008, 08:58 PM
The only advise I can give is if B bog and car bog are the same then have quality dust protection when working it cause car bog has definately got glass fibre in it and will do exactly the same to you as asbestos MESELTHEM***** ah hell I cant spell the bloody thing but you get the picture anyway DONT BREATH THE DUST "MAKESYABLOODYCROOK" Regards to all WW WALLY

Vernonv
5th June 2008, 09:05 PM
The only advise I can give is if B bog and car bog are the same then have quality dust protection when working it cause car bog has definately got glass fibre in it ... No. Most standard car bog is NOT fibreglass reinforced (although you can get it).

... and will do exactly the same to you as asbestos MESELTHEM***** ah hell I cant spell the bloody thing but you get the picture anyway I don't believe that is true.

DONT BREATH THE DUST "MAKESYABLOODYCROOK" I agree.

littlebuddha
5th June 2008, 10:13 PM
This is one i use and have been useing for a while it works up good and you can add acrylic paints to it, most of the isopon products are good. if you want a good black filler there is one that comes as a tube and is black and the hardner is black i use this one for small boxes and odd knots, its called rad leak. LB

Aluminium Filled Polyester Filler
Description
ISOPON Metalik polyester body filler which is filled
with Aluminium and manufactured under vacuum to
give an ultra smooth surface finish. ISOPON Metalik
filler is used for the filling of holes and imperfections
in surfaces such as steel and fibreglass. ISOPON
Metalik has been specially formulated for the
professional user, its aluminium composition enables
ease of application and combines superb sanding
properties and a fine surface finish prior to painting.
Surface preparation
and instructions for
use
ISOPON Metalik filler can be used on the following
surfaces:-
• Steel - degrease and abrade with P40 paper.
• Aluminium – degrease and sand with P80 paper.
• Original paint surfaces - degrease and abrade back
to bare metal with 180 grit paper.
Mixing ratio 100 parts by weight ISOPON Metalik, 2 parts by
weight ISOPON hardener. The exact mixing ratio is
not critical, although over or under catalyzation may
affect the gel time.
Tools Mixing board, filler knife, plastic or rubber spreader.
Pot life ISOPON Metalik is rapid curing and non shrinking
once mixed, 4-5 mins. at 20ºC with 2% hardener.
Drying time Sandable after 20 mins. at 20ºC.
Application ISOPON Metalik is a smooth creamy putty, it will not
sag even on vertical surfaces.
Sanding Begin sanding with P80 paper using finer grades to
finish such as P180 then P400, for rotary sanding
equipment a hard back plate is recommended. Hand
sanding can be done wet or dry.
Top-Coating ISOPON Metalik can be top-coated with most paint
systems.
Product codes MET/S - 250ml tin.
MET/2 - 1.1L tin.
WWW.U-POL.COM (http://www.U-POL.COM)

allmywebsite1
30th June 2008, 03:58 PM
I m also new user of builders blog and i don't have much knowledge about builders blog so i m also need more information...................

Woodlee
30th June 2008, 06:04 PM
You can get a water based putty called Agnews Water based putty .It comes as a powder ,you can tint it very well with water based acrylic paints artists or other wise .It's basically for timber filling etc .You can also add a drop or two of PVA glue to help it stick.Dries pretty hard and sands easy
I've used it to make forms for vac-forming plastics .
Last lot I got was from M10

I have tinted epoxy with artists chalk pastels as well ,they come in sticks or jars of powder, and lots of different colours.

Kev.