PDA

View Full Version : Which way up???

Grumpy John
8th June 2008, 03:14 PM
Hi all,
Started turning a Blackwood bowl today and had a rough idea in my head how it would turn out. Originally the end mounted on the faceplate was going to be the bottom, but now I'm not so sure :? as I think it might look just as good the other way round. I'm hoping for some feedback as to final form, the piece is approx 250mm dia. at widest point and 180mm from faceplate to end.

Cheers
GJ

Claw Hama
8th June 2008, 04:40 PM
Hi Grumpy John, I guess it would look slightly more traditional with the end on the face as the base. But if you want it to look slightly more funky, the other way would look good too. Looks like a nice good quality piece of blackwood, nice tight grain?
Either way wood look good.

rsser
8th June 2008, 04:55 PM
Think you're snookered John. The cove's really too big to sit at the bottom. Nice idea though.

If it were mine I'd turn the top away down to the narrowest part of the cove, and aim for a semi-enclosed form line knocking off the shoulder running down to a base about 1/3rd of the outside diameter.

Manuka Jock
8th June 2008, 05:39 PM
Hi John , I like it .
With a bit of fine tuning , as suggested above , both ways will work .
Maybe a lid too ...

orraloon
8th June 2008, 07:05 PM
I would not say either way it is you'r creation. This is listen to the wood time.
Remember if the plate side is the bottom to allow for the screw depth in the design or plug the holes with something that matches.

Regards
John

Harry72
8th June 2008, 08:58 PM
Up or down... it'll depend if your from the North pole or the South pole:D

joe greiner
8th June 2008, 11:33 PM
I reckon it'd look a little better with the cove at the bottom, but pulled in to a smaller diameter, like Ern suggests.

Why do you guys have to do everything upside-down? :D (Sorry; couldn't resist the temptation.)

Joe

Claw Hama
8th June 2008, 11:40 PM
At therisk of getting into trouble again, what makes you think we're upsidedown Joe??:U

Either is good, be "bowld" go where no man has turned before!!

hughie
8th June 2008, 11:57 PM
John,
Kinda go with Ern and Joe. But at the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Play around with it till your satisfied, it wont be the first a bowl has become a plate in the search for the perfect shape.

TTIT
9th June 2008, 12:13 AM
Stick to Plan-A I reckon John.:U It's a more classical (safe!) shape for a lovely looking bit of wood - better to experiment with your rubbishy stuff:2tsup:

joe greiner
9th June 2008, 12:15 AM
Ooops! I guess I'm the one that's upside-down.:D:D

Cheers to all.
Joe

oldiephred
9th June 2008, 12:36 AM
I think it will look good either way. Some have definite ideas re: how things should look but if everybody had the same ideas all the time then most of the people would not be needed and it would be a boring world.
The only comments I have: That blank would look a lot better to me in my lathe. Look at which is going to make it the easiest to turn the inside, assuming that profile will follow the outside.

Fine looking pot so far.

artme
9th June 2008, 09:07 AM
Absolutely agree with TTIT!!!

Grumpy John
9th June 2008, 10:10 AM
Think you're snookered John. The cove's really too big to sit at the bottom. Nice idea though.

If it were mine I'd turn the top away down to the narrowest part of the cove, and aim for a semi-enclosed form line knocking off the shoulder running down to a base about 1/3rd of the outside diameter.

Hi Ern & all others,
Thanks for the input, I don't usually stress out over the shape of my bowls, just kinda let it flow. However as this is a particularly nice piece of blackwood I don't want to end up with a plate as suggested by Hughie.

Is the bowl below more the shape you had in mind Ern, if so it looks like I'm going to have to invest in a hollowing rig :oo:?

rsser
9th June 2008, 10:25 AM
Something like that but more open at the top.

... btw, how much height would you lose if you turned away the cracks at end on the right hand side of the pic? (if that's what they are; bit hard to tell from the photo).

Lovely bit of wood.

Grumpy John
9th June 2008, 11:04 AM
Something like that but more open at the top.

... btw, how much height would you lose if you turned away the cracks at end on the right hand side of the pic? (if that's what they are; bit hard to tell from the photo).

Lovely bit of wood.

Hi Ern,
Yes they are cracks, big ones, I would probably lose 70mm if I turned them away. Is the first bowl more what you had in mind? Included close ups of the cracks in my piece.

hughie
9th June 2008, 02:00 PM
John,

Seeing the latest pics I would run with it, cracks and all. Then hit it with a wipe on ploy satin or what ever is favourite.

The Wipe on Ploy will give the hand rubbed antique look to it and the grain will come up and off set the cracks

Grumpy John
9th June 2008, 02:08 PM
John,

Then hit it with a wipe on ploy satin or what ever is favourite.

The Wipe on Ploy will give the hand rubbed antique look to it and the grain will come up and off set the cracks

G'day Hughie
Do you by any chance mean Polyurethane? If so who maakes a wipe on and how do you apply it? I generally finish my burls and other pieces that are not suitable for EEE etc. with a mixture of 50/50 boiled linseed and turps.

Cheers
GJ

Claw Hama
9th June 2008, 02:08 PM
John will look great when finished love the big cracks, make sure you post us some finished photos.

rsser
9th June 2008, 02:50 PM
Yep John, that's a nice form but hard to get the line (as with any acorn form). (See design tip below).

Again, if it were mine, fwiw, I'd turn the cracks away. You may still have enough sound wood to produce a fine looking piece.

Your home brew finish should work to 'pop' the grain in Blackwood. You could add a bit of poly if you want a higher gloss but BW in my experience has a fine grain and an oil finish will bring out the chatoyance. You can add gloss by buffing with a soft rag when it's dry, and if that's not enough use a bit of wax.

Redesign: OK, on my hobby horse now ;-} ... search for posts by Philip Streeting on the forum. viz:

Mark out your final roughed out dimensions on some graph paper, tape it to the bench or a corkboard, and use some drawing or corkboard pins and a length of plastic-coated curtain wire (with at least one eye-end) to play with forms. 3 or 4 pins should be enough to do one side of the profile.

The wire bends nicely to give you a flowing form. Try the various options out. When you've got one you like, trace it onto the paper from the wire and roughly follow the dimensions from there.

Sounds like a bit of a fiddle but once you've got the bits you can get a nice shape to follow within minutes.

Best of British.

Rum Pig
9th June 2008, 03:22 PM
hi John
I think (and I'm known to be wrong)is it depends on what you want with the end bowl. If you want a piratical piece then turn it face plate down. But if you wish something a bit different turn it face plate up. If however you really wish to be out there why not turn it both ways with the base in the middle like two bowls on top of each other:rolleyes: (do not ask me how I'm still learning the basics:?)just to keep then guessing.
but I guess at the end of the day do what ever you think is best:U

Calm
9th June 2008, 06:16 PM
John have a go at it as is - there is another peice here if you stuff that one up. I have a real good tree that i am cutting up at the minute and doesnt seem to have as many cracks in it - yet

What size can you turn on the lathe - diameter.

Cheers

David

Grumpy John
9th June 2008, 06:32 PM
John have a go at it as is - there is another peice here if you stuff that one up. I have a real good tree that i am cutting up at the minute and doesnt seem to have as many cracks in it - yet

Cheers

David

Thanks Dave
Lathe is a Jet 1642, can turn 16" dia. (400m), however that leaves no room for the banjo.

Cheers
GJ

rsser
10th June 2008, 03:08 PM
... well, try resting your tool on the bed ;-}

OGYT
11th June 2008, 12:52 PM
GJ, the close shots of the cracks are great! Twer it mine, I'd turn it with the top toward the tailstock, and hollow it as thin as I dared. Then I'd fill the cracks with turquoise. Against that dark wood, it'd be a beauty.
Or, I'd just turn is as above, and leave the cracks, as Hughie suggests. It's still a piece of art, any way you look at it. The cracks make the piece.

Grumpy John
14th June 2008, 02:01 PM
I've always thought that I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure :rolleyes:. Finally decided on a design for my piece of Blackwood, thank you all for your input it was much appreciated.
Sorry OGYT but most of the cracks are gone now but the Turquoise idea was interesting, can you tell me more about the process for future reference?

Cheers all
GJ

rsser
14th June 2008, 02:33 PM
To my taste that works much better than the rustic look.

The BW has fine and impressive figuring that enchants the eye.

Grumpy John
14th June 2008, 03:06 PM
To my taste that works much better than the rustic look.

The BW has fine and impressive figuring that enchants the eye.

Thanks Ern,
Do you think the bowl is too tall, i.e. should it be more squat. I can still take more off the bottom.

OGYT, there's still a few cracks that can be filled, tell me more about turquoise filling.

Cheers
GJ

Manuka Jock
14th June 2008, 04:25 PM
Tall is elegant
Looks ok to me :2tsup:

chuck the hat away tho ......:D

Calm
14th June 2008, 06:31 PM
John nice looking peice of wood,:2tsup::2tsup: now how much did i say you could have it for:rolleyes::rolleyes:?

Grumpy John
14th June 2008, 06:36 PM
now how much did i say you could have it for:rolleyes::rolleyes:?

I think you're dreamin' :D.

Calm
14th June 2008, 07:59 PM
Well i can tell you now the next bit of wood will be double the price of the last one.:D:D

Grumpy John
14th June 2008, 11:18 PM

Cheers

David

Thanks Dave,
I think this piece is stuffed :;:;. Can you :please2:send a replacement piece ASAP :D:D?

tea lady
14th June 2008, 11:36 PM
"Turning" into a nice form.:D Who said a committee couldn't design anything.:2tsup:

OGYT
15th June 2008, 05:34 AM
GJ, I crush Turquoise in this little metal box that's made for it (Pic 1). Some crush it in a pipe with a cap on it, and a smaller pipe with cap as an inside hammer.

I put the crushed turquoise in a bowl, and tap it on my hand or table top... the larger grains come to the top. I use the powder that settles in the bottom for smaller cracks, and the larger grains for larger openings.

The turquoise is mixed with Epoxy... then it's rubbed into the smaller cracks, and dribbled into the larger cracks, and allowed to set. I use 60 minute epoxy, also called 2-ton epoxy.

In larger voids, I use a piece of tape on the inside to contain it. When it's hardened, it can be easily cut with HSS with 10% carbon content. Regular HSS will cut it, but you'll have to sharpen often.

You have to be careful when sanding, or it'll dish out a little around the epoxy/turquoise filling. Second pic shows the turquoise filling in a Red Oak bowl. It's in the void at the left center, and down around the bark area at the center bottom of the pic.

rsser
15th June 2008, 04:15 PM
I think this piece is stuffed :;:;.

Gonna tell us what happened John? :D

Grumpy John
15th June 2008, 04:55 PM
Gonna tell us what happened John? :D

I might be trickin' :D:D:D.

Manuka Jock
15th June 2008, 05:30 PM
Send him another chunk of wood anyway .
That first work of lathe art might just be a fluke :D

rsser
15th June 2008, 05:34 PM
Go on John, get out in the shed and take a pic of the pieces on the floor :p

Your embarassment will be our learning :rolleyes:

Grumpy John
21st June 2008, 04:34 PM
Hi all,
Just a note to let all interested parties know that the job is progressing although, verrrry slowly. I went over to Ern's today to try out several hollowing tools and ended placing an order with Jim Carroll for the Rolly Munro Mega Kit plus the Rolly Munro Shear Scraper Kit PLUS a Woodcut Toolgate. Thanks Ern, SWMBO will be calling on you later to express her appretiation.:ranting2::punching::club::censored2:

rsser
21st June 2008, 04:41 PM
Err, OK, maybe we can blame it on the effect of the musk shavings on the shed floor? :D

Will package them up for anyone else who wants to come round and play, and then needs an excuse for a 'must have' acquisition :B