PDA

View Full Version : Need advice after 2nd hand lathe purchase

Denbo
12th June 2008, 04:09 PM
Hi folks.

I've just taken the plunge and bought a 3 year old Vicmarc 175 and a few accessories like chuck, jaws etc. Purchasing a 2nd hand lathe didn't worry me too much given that the V's are built like a tank anyway, but I was hoping to get some advice on 2nd hand chisels.

Same bloke who sold the lathe also has a wad of chisels (mainly P&N) and I'm not sure whether to go out and rather buy myself a few nice brand new ones or to accept the promise of a bargain and go for the used set instead.

I know incorrect sharpening technique can pretty much ruin the steel in a chisel (especially heat damage), so I was hoping on some advice on whether people think its an important issue to watch out for.

Is it worthwhile buying 2nd hand chisels (the cost saving aside, which in this case is around 50% to buying new) and what would you look out for in order to make sure you're not getting dealt a dud.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or help.

D.

orraloon
12th June 2008, 06:42 PM
P&N are quite good. Grab them!

rsser
12th June 2008, 06:46 PM
Wot he said, if the price is right.

Gouges will need some cleaning up likely: slipstone work in the flutes. No drama. Just time.

Welcome to the forum btw.

I had a 175 ... nice lathe. Onya.

weisyboy
12th June 2008, 06:46 PM
i have never use p&n but they aparently good chisels and if made from hss witch they should be blueing wont worie them.

gab them for sure mate.

tea lady
12th June 2008, 07:14 PM
I'll have 'em if you don't want.:D

corbs
12th June 2008, 08:18 PM
Grab them and use them as learners... good steel to use. I wish I had a bunch of second hand ones and then just update as they get worn.

Corbs

Denbo
12th June 2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the advice guys and the welcome to the forum. Have to admit I didn't expect that response, but that's good news in a way. I'll try and grab as many as the budget will allow.

Pat
12th June 2008, 08:57 PM
Grab them. I only have a couple of P&N, but they are up there for ease of use and length of time between trips to the grinder:U

Rookie
12th June 2008, 10:11 PM
Like Carl said, heat damage will be less on good HSS than other metals and I'd asume the P&N are pretty good HSS. If the price is right, grab them and then replace with new as needed.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th June 2008, 02:01 AM
:roll:

P&N are good gear. Whether it be their older Carbon Steel tools or the newer HSS stuff. (I prefer CS tools for Aussie hardwoods as I reckon it holds it's edge longer, but it does take more practice to sharpen properly.)

Either way, I reckon they're good enough that I'll suggest something different...

Perhaps it'd be worth your while to grab 'em and put 'em aside, then buy some cheap chaiwanese CS tools specifically to practice sharpening on - 'cos you will lose a bit of steel on the grinder before you get your eye in. (Hint: a sharpening jig reduces steel wastage. :;)

After all, a turning chisel is only as good as the edge you put on it.

DJ’s Timber
13th June 2008, 07:57 AM
One other thing that no one has pointed out or asked, is how much meat or length is left on them?

I looked at some second hand chisels once and the bloke wanted about 60% of the original price but they only had 30-50% of length left on them, heck a couple of them were nearly all gone and I told him, you've got to be kidding me, I'll give you 30% of the original price but he wouldn't budge.

Might pay for you to go and have a look at some new ones in a shop so that you then have an idea of how worn down they are.

Denbo
13th June 2008, 03:43 PM
Yea good point on the length. I only had a quick look at a couple when I was there to inspect the lathe but I'll go through them again to make sure.
I get the pleasure of some backpain when I try to lug the Vic home tomorrow. I'm sure it'll all be worthwhile when I start spinning some timber though :)

Thanks for the tip.
D.

artme
13th June 2008, 06:54 PM
Good luck for yoy with the 175.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
P&N tools are great tools and new prices generally can't be bettered by other quality tools, especially when bought unhandled.