PDA

View Full Version : Sorby Sharpening System #447

Keoni
15th June 2008, 05:28 AM
:qI've set up my Sorby Deluxe Sharpening System. When I sharpen my Sorby bowl gouge and adjust it in the fingernail profiler it comes extremely close to the grinding wheel. Can the angle of the profiler be changed to get more space betwwen the profiler and the wheel. The factory setting is at 120 deg. on the profiler. Anyone out there using the 447 System. My grinder uses 6" wheels. I also have the Ellsworth signature gouge that will need sharpening soon. Can I disregard the factory settings to accomodate my gouges? :no:

rsser
15th June 2008, 04:28 PM
I assume this is what you have: http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/universal_sharp_sys.htm

If so, same as mine.

Yes, by all means play around with combinations of

1. tool extension
2. pivot angle
3. collar on the profiler shaft (ie. shaft extension)

For an Ellsworth gouge I can just get it happening on my 8" grinder fitted with 1" wide wheels with the pivot angle on setting 3, a very short tool extension (so short I usually hit the grind wheel shoulder with the clamp) and a long shaft setting (the collar is well down the shaft, below the numbers, where the shaft is all round.)

It's a matter of playing with the settings with the wheel stopped and checking each time how the bevel lines up with the wheel face. The task (obviously) is to get the short bevel at the tool tip square on to the wheel and the longer bevels on the wings.

Let me know if this helps.

Added: have you seen the vid here? http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/movie-clips.htm#shs

Those wheels look to be 40-50 mm wide btw which may make it easier, but it's possible without.

Keoni
17th June 2008, 05:13 AM
:UIs there anyone else out there that uses this system. When I purchased it there was a back order on it. So there must be more with comments on. Could use more thoughts on this.:no:

rsser
17th June 2008, 05:15 AM
Perhaps you could specify what kind of thoughts you are lacking.

Keoni
17th June 2008, 05:31 AM
If you have one , did you re-adjust the protrusion of the gouge from the profile, increase the angle of the profiler ,change the height with the collar..............? Any variation to the original specs?