PDA

View Full Version : Triton Router Table Fences

Sturdee
15th February 2004, 05:16 PM
Whilst the Triton manual suggest clamping stop blocks and extension pieces to the fence I found this awkward and changing the holddowns fiddly and time consuming.

I have therefore build taller fences which clamp onto the existing metal Triton fence thus retaining all its features but allowing stopblocks, holddowns and extension fences to be easily attached.

The first photo shows the new fences with holddowns as well as a table insert with featherboards.

Peter

Sturdee
15th February 2004, 05:18 PM
This photo shows the stop blocks - note the extension fences sitting on the bench in easy reach.

Peter.

Sturdee
15th February 2004, 05:21 PM
This shows the front view of the extension fences together with stop blocks and hold downs. Note the dust collection hood for trenching cuts is folded down

Peter.

Sturdee
15th February 2004, 05:24 PM
Here is the back view showing the new fence bolted to the Triton metal fence using the same fittings allowing them to slide in and out together with the extension fences clamped on to it with bolts and wingnuts ( it only needs some better T handles.

Peter.

Sturdee
15th February 2004, 05:27 PM
THe final photo shows a stop block set up for a stopped trenching cut. The dust collector hood is raised and connected and a plain table insert is used.

Peter.

Dusty
15th February 2004, 06:11 PM
Geeze, mate, that's damn impressive.

Are the good folk at Triton aware of some of your improvements?
If not, I reckon it would be in their best intrest to learn stuff from you.

Keep up the great work.

kenmil
15th February 2004, 06:47 PM
Well done Peter. Pleased to see you give something other than that shocking orange a run also - even if it is shocking red !!

Sturdee
15th February 2004, 07:01 PM
Ken,

My colour scheme is very simple - Orange for home made jigs, Red for safety devices and white for everything else.

Peter.

Driver
15th February 2004, 10:54 PM
Peter

Thanks for sharing this with us. You've solved three separate problems for me in one hit! Very impressive set-up - well done.

Regards

Col

Tonyz
17th February 2004, 10:42 PM
Your've just gotta love this guy.
Peter you are a brillient fella just what do you do at work, sit and draw these ideas out all the time? Any idea how many jigs your've made ESPECIALLY for TRITON tools
Tony

Sturdee
18th February 2004, 02:37 PM
After using the table insert with the fingerboards for a few days I realise that the way the featherboards are attached is not the best way.

I am replacing the two groves with a piece of T-track running along the length of the insert. This will allow me to position the featherboards in the exact spot where needed and use more than two if necessary.

Peter.

Sturdee
18th February 2004, 02:56 PM
Tony,

Thanks for your comments. In a previous life I was a bookkeeper but now I only do a bit of part-time work, and when working I don't have time to think about woodworking.

Ideas come naturally to me mainly adapting from what I've read and surfing the net. These gems of ideas usually get refined during commercial breaks when I am watching TV.

As requested I've made the following modifications , add-ons or jigs to my Triton equipment and I should point out that none of them are recommended or approved by them .
MK3 workcentre and sliding extension table - 9 with 3 more planned.
Dust bucket - 1 and no more planned as it now works perfectly.
Router table, stand and extension table - 12 with 4 more planned.

Whilst this seems a lot quite a few are minor but very handy.

Before anyone gets the idea that I don't like Triton equipment I should point out that IMHO Triton equipment is excellent as it is very accurate, portable, affordable and with excellent after sales service. But it can be improved with a little bit of effort to make it even better.

Only trouble is that with these improvements I am now in a timewarp with my MK3 workcentre and probably also with the router table. But then I think that my set up will still be better than later upgrades would be.

Peter.