PDA

View Full Version : salt and pepper mills

turnerted
16th June 2008, 05:21 PM
Some time ago I made a set of mills as near identical as I could get them and then was disgusted to find SHMBO had written "salt and pepper" on the respective mills with a marker pen .
I have now been asked to make 5 sets for someone who wants to give them as presents to his workers . My first commision .
I am looking for a neat ,simple way to identify the respective mills .
Any suggestions?

Ted

jm0811
16th June 2008, 05:26 PM
Hi, don't know which timbers you have access to, but how about a dark/brown timber (pepper) and a light/whitish timber (salt). Seems like a simple way to differentiate between the two.:)

ravna
16th June 2008, 05:36 PM
The cheapest, and one you will always have is to get a brand made up. The other professional way would be to go to one of the laser engravers
Regards
John M

ss_11000
16th June 2008, 05:54 PM
I've seen a couple where they have burnt lines near the top (skew chisel and some wire for the burning). I think it was 3 lines for pepper and 1 line for salt.

DJ’s Timber
16th June 2008, 08:11 PM
This is how I do mine

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36919

As explained in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=42603) :2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th June 2008, 08:13 PM
Corian inserts.

White for salt (I like to use "Snowflake.") and a grey/brown/whatever for pepper. (I use "Salt'n'pepper" :roll:)

HansGScholte
17th June 2008, 02:32 AM
Hi,

Last year I made the first half of a set. This was for black pepper.
The top piece, with which you set the mill from coarse to fine. is in wenge.
The mill for white pepper is still on the todo list, the top will be of holly (or any other light wood).
For salt I would probably use bone or alt ivory.

Hans

Rum Pig
17th June 2008, 09:05 AM
I agree with Stirlo one for salt and three for pepper.
That way if you have to split them up or one brakes it dose not look odd or you are not restricted to salt and pepper e.g. one could be your favourite spice mix:rolleyes:

ravna
17th June 2008, 10:50 AM
The trouble with lines, different colored timber etc. is only you know the relevance.
Cheers
John M

turnerted
19th June 2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions .I have decided to go with coloured plugs in the tops .
Ted