PDA

View Full Version : Glue me up...

Zed
16th February 2004, 09:24 AM
Bugger!!!!!!!! Glue…. Who’d a thought…..

If anyone remembers one of my most recent posts I had found some Oregon that I was going to turn into a workbench for the workshoppe…..

Anyway…. Did a quick count of the timer and established that I did not have enough material for a full work bench so I thought I’d use the timber by making a nice little round table for SWMBO with some reddish Aussie hardwood inlays to prove to her that I could actually do this creation stuff….

Last Saturday - Need to laminate the oregon into shape don’t I ??? So I agonise over a GMC bisquit joiner but remember a thread that one of you complained about the GMC being returned 3 or 4 times so say to meself “nah, don’t wanna be there – buy a dowel jig and a length of 12.5 mm dowell and do it that way”. So I plane’s meself a bunch of straight edges (works a treat) use the dowel jig ($60) connect the timber, trace the circular outline of the table edge and glue up. Seems to work a treat – happy man….

This Saturday - I don’t have a router (hence my other recent thread/poll – “Which router”) so I’ll lay a fence and use me 9 1/5 Makita circ saw with a depth of 5mm to cut 2 parrallel trenches over a couple of knots (all artistically like… very pretty) and then cut a strip of the hardwood from the blank using the circ saw (Again) then dress the groove with a mallet and chisel and small block plane to cut the hardwood inlay to size…. Wonderful - nice and tight but manual and tedious (Wish I had a router…. ) Even get ingenious on how to clamp the inlay (2 x 40kg bags of cement to push it into the groove while the glue goes off… clever dick…)

Sunday comes along, time to take the laminate out of the clamp and whip out the electric planer and jigsaw to cut and dress the top to shape prior to making the base…. I’d already laminated the upright leg using 2 lengths of oregon 720mm long…. Guess where its hot at the moment (Sydney – specifically my garage….) and guess what ??? the glue I used for the laminate is about 12 yrs old and has gone off – so instead of a rigid board I have some lengths of timber with syrupy muck! all over it…. I could separate the timber laminates with me bear hands Farg it@!!!

I thought no matter I’ll get rid of the old glue and reglue it all up – so I gets the planer and give one length of oregon one shave with the planer and the planer mucks up – Bugger!!!! What a waste….

Moral – use new glue!!!! (The old stuff is in the garbo now) I wont make that mistake again….

Re the router poll – I think I’ll go the Triton – saw it in the store and it looks like the one to buy – Hate to say it , its better than the others that I;ve seen I like the features and the price is right too….

davo453
16th February 2004, 11:07 AM
What sort of glue was it? can't be PVA can it?

You can usually tell when PVA is off as it sort of separates and looks like yellow cottage cheese. PVA is usless once it' been frozen too.

The Triton looks like a hell of a router my 15 year old Makita has served well (owes me nothing) but is due for a gentle retirement. The triton looks the go to me but a bit hefty if used free hand maybe.

Cheers

Dave

Zed
16th February 2004, 11:32 AM
Yep it was PVA - it had gone clear... I suppose it had settled into its component parts over time.. still smelled right however...

journeyman Mick
16th February 2004, 04:49 PM
12 years old??
I'm pretty sure it's only got a shelf life of 1 year! Make sure you buy a decent glue which actually has a use by date on the container, I like AV Syntec products myself. At least being PVA you could probably clean it off with water, I would hate to think what sort of mess it might have been if you used out of date epoxy:( .

Mick