PDA

View Full Version : Austral-Irish long case clock

Woodwould
17th June 2008, 06:51 PM
I've been gluing wood together for about forty years since I was a teenager in Ireland. I married an Aussie and to commemorate the event, I built a period style long case clock but I went totally berserk with the finish.

Proportionately, the case is a precise copy of a late Georgian mahogany square dial clock that I had previously restored and made exact drawings of. The carcass is of pine and the veneer is sycamore (not maple as has been suggested) and harewood (named after some veneered furniture at Harewood House in West Yorkshire). Harewood is itself just green-dyed sycamore. The trimmings on the clock are of solid sycamore.

The base of the case contains a square panel of diaper work. The trunk incorporates boomerang motifs (representing my Aussie bride) in the four corners and the door again is made up around a diaper work panel. The mouldings are also veneered and include marquetry harewood shamrocks (representing my Irish origins).

The hood is dominated by solid sycamore mouldings which appear to be supported on turned sycamore pillars with aged, cast brass capitols and plinths. The dial was made by an old friend from solid brass (as was the original Georgian clock) which also features silvered brass boomerang spandrels in the corners and the centre is of engraved diaper work. The silvered chapter ring bears engraved Arabic numerals and more shamrocks. The blued steel hands incorporate yet more shamrocks.

Brass mouldings frame hand-dyed silk covers over the sound holes in the sides of the hood. The movement is by Kieninger.

Apologies for the quality of the images; they're scans of old photos I came across in a drawer. The colour of the clock case is more even than the pictures suggest... it's a fairly even cream colour throughout.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Furniture/long_case_clock_04b.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Furniture/long_case_clock_03b.jpg

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn135/I-Got-Wood/Furniture/long_case_clock_02b.jpg

Chipman
17th June 2008, 07:37 PM
That is one nice clock woodwould:2tsup:

Nice design and well made and with the decorations/trim you have used you have certainly made it your own.

A question... I notice that there is a power cable that appears to go into the clock case. Can you tell us what it is for? Do you have a light in it?

Excellent,

Chipman

Woodwould
17th June 2008, 07:44 PM
That is one nice clock woodwould:2tsup:

Nice design and well made and with the decorations/trim you have used you have certainly made it your own.

A question... I notice that there is a power cable that appears to go into the clock case. Can you tell us what it is for? Do you have a light in it?

Excellent,

Chipman

Thanks for the kind words. :U

I knew someone would pick up on the cable. That picture was taken in an old property I rented when I first immigrated and that's a phone extension cord; the phone socket was right in the corner behind the clock. :~

Chipman
17th June 2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks for that Woodwould, just goes to show that we do take notice!!!!!

I am a bit of a clock addict and it is really nice to see what other people are doing. (I too made a longcase clock for my good wife for our 25th Anniversary)

Once again, thanks for posting the pictures and look forward to your next project!

Chipman:)

STAR
17th June 2008, 08:49 PM
Great clock. instead of me asking Wiki, what is the main difference between this and a Grandfather's Clock.

Is it this one does not have the pendulum and chain weights and the clock face contains the clock mechanism?

Woodwould
17th June 2008, 11:52 PM
Once again, thanks for posting the pictures and look forward to your next project!

Chipman:)

You may regret saying that! I unearthed over a hundred photos at the weekend, so expect to see lots more of my past projects. :doh:

Woodwould
17th June 2008, 11:54 PM
Great clock. instead of me asking Wiki, what is the main difference between this and a Grandfather's Clock.

Is it this one does not have the pendulum and chain weights and the clock face contains the clock mechanism?

This clock does have a traditional type weights and pendulum movement, albeit a modern, German made one.

The correct description of this type of clock is a 'long case clock'. The Victorians felt the need to give everyday objects cutesy names and as many grandfathers had a long case clock, these tall apparatuses became known as 'grandfather clocks' (the Victorians also made half sized long case clocks which earned them the kitschy name of 'grandmother' clocks.

STAR
18th June 2008, 12:17 AM
Woodwould. I think I understand, but you being Irish I have to ask the following. Are you sure that Robert Emmett and Guy Fawkes are not your patriots and your description of the clock is anti British.

Everybody knows of Guy but very few here in Oz know of Robert Emmett.

ps. Would the average punter out there know the difference between a Long Case Clock and a Grand Father Clock.

Woodwould
18th June 2008, 08:38 AM
Woodwould. I think I understand, but you being Irish I have to ask the following. Are you sure that Robert Emmett and Guy Fawkes are not your patriots and your description of the clock is anti British.

Everybody knows of Guy but very few here in Oz know of Robert Emmett.

ps. Would the average punter out there know the difference between a Long Case Clock and a Grand Father Clock.

I don't follow how my use of the correct nomenclature makes me anti-British! I'm not anti-anyone, but let's not get sectarian or political here please. :U

There is no difference in the actual clocks, just the naming. The average punter would know these as long case clocks, but Australia being in essence a Victorian nation, the more modern name is probably more prevalent here. Certainly in the trade they're known by their correct name here.

billym
18th June 2008, 08:49 AM
great clock,lookign forward to see your other pics.bill:2tsup::2tsup:

Woodwould
18th June 2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the kindness. Unfortunately I didn't come across any more clock photos; mainly photos of furniture restoration and furniture that I've made. I'll sort them out and post some of them in the appropriate forums.

Hobbyhorse
18th June 2008, 05:59 PM
Great stuff...thanks for showing us.

Rhys:)

artme
19th June 2008, 07:37 PM
Begorra that's nice.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Blackout
19th June 2008, 10:24 PM
Woodwould,

That is a beautiful clock. Thankyou for sharing and hope we do get to ssee more of your work and the meaningful story descriptions behind them.

Cheers,

lonesomebob
20th September 2008, 12:34 AM
Woodwould,

That is a beautiful clock. Thankyou for sharing and hope we do get to ssee more of your work and the meaningful story descriptions behind them.

Cheers, Sycamore, platinus, or planetree? This is not much used in the States, not even for potato crates. It never seems to quit moving warping shrinking and takes finish poorly. What brand of sycamore do you use ? Bob :?

Woodwould
20th September 2008, 12:51 AM
Sycamore, platinus, or planetree? This is not much used in the States, not even for potato crates. It never seems to quit moving warping shrinking and takes finish poorly. What brand of sycamore do you use ? Bob :?

Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) is common in Europe and the UK. The stuff you may know as 'sycamore' is more than likely American Plane, or Buttonwood (Platanus occidentalis) which, as you mention, is a fairly ordinary timber.

True sycamore is actually a very pleasant timber, related to, resembling and working like maple.

woodypoody
3rd October 2008, 04:35 AM
Wow great clock, how long did it take you to make that?:U

Woodwould
3rd October 2008, 08:33 AM
Wow great clock, how long did it take you to make that?:U
Thanks. I'm not sure how long it took to make to be honest. It was one of those jobs that was spread out over many months and had to be kept under wraps, away from inquisitive eyes until it was finished. I only got to work on it when the coast was clear and I'm not even sure if I kept a time sheet for it.

wheelinround
3rd October 2008, 10:18 AM
WW magnificent clock :2tsup: the attention to detail is a work of art from a true artisan bring on the rest we could all learn from your experiences.

patrickdt10
23rd November 2008, 03:17 AM
I don't follow how my use of the correct nomenclature makes me anti-British! I'm not anti-anyone, but let's not get sectarian or political here please. :U

There is no difference in the actual clocks, just the naming. The average punter would know these as long case clocks, but Australia being in essence a Victorian nation, the more modern name is probably more prevalent here. Certainly in the trade they're known by their correct name here.

wouldwood, hows the form?
that is one beautiful clock.
what part of ireland did ya hail from?:cool: Live in county sligo meself!

Woodwould
23rd November 2008, 08:28 AM
I'm from Tyrone, but I know Sligo and Connemara quite well. I used to go to Oughterard on business.

Woodwould
13th April 2009, 05:41 PM
instead of me asking Wiki, what is the main difference between this and a Grandfather's Clock.

I just came across this explanation (http://www.jonathanbeechclocks.com/JBeech/Articles.html) of the term 'Grandfather' clock.