PDA

View Full Version : Pen Swap Pens!!!!!!!!

vantoo
20th June 2008, 10:49 AM
I got my pen from Amos (woodenink) and it is unbeleavable:2tsup::D. Now I know what a pen and the finish are supposed to look like.:) I have really got something to aim at now....thanks Amos.....oh yea, I almost forgot. My photography is not that great either. The pics do not do the pen justice.

Matt88s
20th June 2008, 12:44 PM
That's a right nice pen! :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
20th June 2008, 01:07 PM
Here is mine that I got from NewLondon88.

Timber is Chechem aka Black Poisonwood, not too sure on the kit though.

75875 75876 75877

Big Shed
20th June 2008, 01:13 PM
Timber is Chechem aka Black Poisonwood, not too sure on the kit though.

Nice pen, beautiful timber. I believe that is a Jr Gent from CSUSA?

Pentastic
20th June 2008, 01:15 PM
Very nice looking pens both:2tsup::2tsup:, Pentastic

handyrn
20th June 2008, 02:30 PM
Pen arrived today. Exquisite segmenting. I will try to take a picture of it and post it
Cindy

DJ’s Timber
20th June 2008, 03:17 PM
Nice pen, beautiful timber. I believe that is a Jr Gent from CSUSA?

Thanks Fred, couldn't find it online before but I can now :2tsup:seeing that I know where to look now :B

corbs
20th June 2008, 06:08 PM
Couple of nice pens there team. I finished my pen swap pen this afternoon and am awaiting further instructions on where to send it to. Obviously no pics until the recipient has it in her hands:2tsup:.

Corbs

ScrollZilla
20th June 2008, 11:24 PM
Those are two incredible looking pens.

Amos,
You did your normal top notch job. The only word that comes to mind is WOW!.

New London,
The Chechem I have never seen before...beautiful wood. I am guessing when in the sunlight, the light colored wood really shines.

Rick

NewLondon88
20th June 2008, 11:42 PM
Oops .. yea, Jr. Gent. And the chechem DOES light up like
Cat's eye, very high chatoyance. I wonder if I shouldn't have
cut it at a little less of an angle though.

Got one piece from a furniture maker who moved and
now I can't find more locally. It's the kind of wood you
definitely want to put your hands on before buying it
because parts of the same board can be boring while
other parts light up. Drove 100 miles to pick up the only
other piece I could find, but it looked like nothing at all.

ScrollZilla
21st June 2008, 12:26 AM
NewLondon,
I don't want to hijack this thread, but do a search for chechen (as opposed to chechem) lumber. I was able to find a few sources for it, and reasonably priced.

Rick

Rippa
21st June 2008, 02:21 AM
A couple of nice pens there, raises the bar a bit for the rest of us. :2tsup: Must try a Xcut one day if I can find the right piece of timber.
My pen arrived in the States today. Thanks for PM Cindy

Rippa

NewLondon88
21st June 2008, 03:26 AM
NewLondon,
I don't want to hijack this thread, but do a search for chechen (as opposed to chechem) lumber. I was able to find a few sources for it, and reasonably priced.

Rick

Yep.. have done that, as it seem to be often spelled this way.
I can find sources, but not local, where I can put my hands on it.
The only piece I ordered came in last week and it was a uniform
brown color, looked like mahogany without any noticeable grain
pattern to it. I might use it as a push stick.
Metopium brownei, poison blackwood, chechem, chechen, negro,
poisontree, chechem negro .. all the same wood.

Problem here is that a 200 mile round trip is considered 'local'
and there's only 2 places local. One doesn't have it, one has
one 6' length, not much grain. :C

Simomatra
21st June 2008, 09:07 AM
Both very nice pens great too see. I missed out on this round but have just gone into a swap on the TPS site.

Look forward to seeing the rest of the pens

PenTurner
23rd June 2008, 10:25 PM
Here it is, beautiful Antler Slimline from Vantoo, I have always wanted an Antler and now I is one! sorry --are one!':) Thanks Rick

ScrollZilla
23rd June 2008, 11:11 PM
Vantoo,
You did a great job on that antler pen. Awesome finish. The buck clip is a nice touch.

Rick

Matt88s
24th June 2008, 01:18 AM
Here it is, beautiful Antler Slimline from Vantoo, I have always wanted an Antler and now I is one! sorry --are one!':) Thanks Rick

Nice pen! Love that clip. :2tsup: I really like that pen Vantoo, good job on the antler, that stuff is a bugger to work with. :C

vantoo
24th June 2008, 04:43 AM
I can't take credit for it all. The finish is Amos's work. I only turned the pen. But he sure did a great job on the finish...

PenTurner
24th June 2008, 10:18 AM
:2tsup:The work is Vantoo's,:2tsup: all that was needed was two more grades of acrylic finishing pads and PlastX plastic polish. Amos
ps As I look at it, looks like it could be brittle or hard to turn so I am very honoured to now possess an Antler Pen. :)Amos

Mike in Nanaimo
25th June 2008, 04:26 PM
I got my pen today from Amos. WOW!!! I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. It is a Cambidge with Mallee Burl. Excellent pen Amos. I like!!!

Mike in Nanaimo
25th June 2008, 04:31 PM
Here is a picture of the pen I sent to Amos. It is a Jr. Gent from CSUSA. It is one of my favorites. The blank is A piece of Birch Burl from Vancouver Island. Finish is CA/BLO
http://www.islandchimes.ca/Ebay%20Grapics/Jr%20Gent%20Birch%20239-3.JPG

corbs
25th June 2008, 05:38 PM
Nice pens so far in the swap... mine has been sent to Touchwood today but will wait on pics once it has been received.

PenTurner
25th June 2008, 06:13 PM
Received my pen from Mike in Nanaimo, WOW! WOW! pheww!!,:2tsup::2tsup: just beautiful, fountain pen Jnr Gent 11, thanks Mike. Amos:)

funkychicken
25th June 2008, 08:55 PM
Good work guys!

With the Box Challenge all happening I've hardly had time to even think about the pen swap, but I have ordered some Rustins so hopefully I shan't take too long to get my pens done.

dhurrang
25th June 2008, 10:30 PM
G'day everyone,

I got my package from Rod today :oo: (see pic1, DVD remote for scale). Had to pick it up at the post office:wink:. Patience grasshopper. Place package in car. Finish shopping (pay bills, buy meat and alcohol (now)).

Drive home carefully (don't rush, avoid attention). Walk calmly (with package) inside. Bugga, meat and grog. Patience grasshopper. Return to car and get forgotten purchases, after gently placing package on (OLD) coffee table.

Search for sharp implement to release contents (30 seconds frustration at the universe for not placing in front of me EXACTLY what I need, EXACTLY when I need it). Old sissors do the trick. Careful David, who knows what's in there, patience grass..... rip and tear. :2tsup::C:2tsup::C:2tsup:

Apple, Nectarine, PurpleHeart, Oak, Ebony ... and a pile more blanks. Thanks Rod :D:D I was getting sick of hardwood. WOW, what a haul :oo:. Sit calmly, open wiskey, one stiff drink. Stare at pile of blanks, oh, the pens. Finish drink. Find ANOTHER package in the box. Find sissors, bugga (damn the universe), oh, there they are.

Icing on the cake.

Rod, thanks for your generosity and beautifully crafted pens.

David

ps. not enough light to do the pens justice. nothing to do with the 3rd nip.

Matt88s
25th June 2008, 11:45 PM
G'day everyone,

I got my package from Rod today :oo: (see pic1, DVD remote for scale). Had to pick it up at the post office:wink:. Patience grasshopper. Place package in car. Finish shopping (pay bills, buy meat and alcohol (now)).

Drive home carefully (don't rush, avoid attention). Walk calmly (with package) inside. Bugga, meat and grog. Patience grasshopper. Return to car and get forgotten purchases, after gently placing package on (OLD) coffee table.

Search for sharp implement to release contents (30 seconds frustration at the universe for not placing in front of me EXACTLY what I need, EXACTLY when I need it). Old sissors do the trick. Careful David, who knows what's in there, patience grass..... rip and tear. :2tsup::C:2tsup::C:2tsup:

Apple, Nectarine, PurpleHeart, Oak, Ebony ... and a pile more blanks. Thanks Rod :D:D I was getting sick of hardwood. WOW, what a haul :oo:. Sit calmly, open wiskey, one stiff drink. Stare at pile of blanks, oh, the pens. Finish drink. Find ANOTHER package in the box. Find sissors, bugga (damn the universe), oh, there they are.

Icing on the cake.

Rod, thanks for your generosity and beautifully crafted pens.

David

ps. not enough light to do the pens justice. nothing to do with the 3rd nip.

Wow! Sweet cache, lotta pens, somebody was busy. :2tsup:

PenTurner
26th June 2008, 12:14 AM
MMmm! pen swap-what a good idea! you described my excitement exactly, except I walked aroungd the workshop trying to find a knife! Amos:)

Matt88s
26th June 2008, 12:50 AM
I can see I have work to do, I've been so busy lately. We have til the end of the month right?

I'm going with classic this time, the bumps and shapes are going in the closet until I'm caught up. :D

celt40
26th June 2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Funky Chicken, Have you received the 2 pens and blanks i sent???

I posted 10 days ago they should have arrived by now.

Hope they have not been lost.:?:C

rodl
26th June 2008, 04:32 PM
Received pen swap pens from Dhurrang yesterday and have finally got around to showing what I received

Thanks for some lovely pens Dhurrang and some nice hardwood blanks

Matt88s
27th June 2008, 09:11 AM
Received pen swap pens from Dhurrang yesterday and have finally got around to showing what I received

Thanks for some lovely pens Dhurrang and some nice hardwood blanks

Jeepers, how many are we supposed to do? :o

:wink:

Mike in Nanaimo
27th June 2008, 04:58 PM
Here are pictures of the lovelly pen I got from Amos {Woodenink}. He definitely out did himself.
http://www.islandchimes.ca/Ebay%20Grapics/Pen%20Swap%20Amos%201.JPG
http://www.islandchimes.ca/Ebay%20Grapics/Pen%20Swap%20Amos%202.JPG
http://www.islandchimes.ca/Ebay%20Grapics/Pen%20Swap%20Amos%203.JPG
http://www.islandchimes.ca/Ebay%20Grapics/Pen%20Swap%20Amos%204.JPG

dhurrang
27th June 2008, 09:38 PM
Jeepers, how many are we supposed to do? :o

:wink:

hhmmm ... just one I suppose, but I thought seeing I'm new to pen turning I'd disguise my inexperience with bulk :p:wink: while learning with cheap kits.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the pen swap and I'll be putting my hand up for the next one!!!:2tsup:

Matt, thanks for noticing :B

funkychicken
27th June 2008, 10:44 PM
Here they are!

A Wych Elm Gold Sierra and a Elm Burl Gold European + a lotta blanks from Celt40

Thanks mate,:2tsup: Your pens will hopefully be made tomorrow

Rippa
5th July 2008, 12:22 PM
Received my parcel from Handyrn today, thank you for a very nice pen it is made from Maple with a Purple Heart band.
Thanks again Cindy
Rippa

Matt88s
5th July 2008, 04:19 PM
Received my parcel from Handyrn today, thank you for a very nice pen it is made from Maple with a Purple Heart band.
Thanks again Cindy
Rippa

Is that maple or sycamore?

Rippa
5th July 2008, 11:36 PM
Hi Mat88s, I was informed it was Maple and I aint going to argue with a Lady :no::no::no:
Rippa

Rippa
5th July 2008, 11:46 PM
Handyrn has asked me to post a photo of the pen that I sent to her, it is made from Jarrah, Silky Oak and Sheoak finished with shellawax cream.

glenn_mcculloug
9th July 2008, 09:52 PM
Having been a recipient of one of Amos' pens, I can testify he has the fit and finish down. That is another of his exceptional pieces, you are a lucky man.

cigarman
10th July 2008, 12:01 AM
Got my Pen from bdar. WOW what a great looking pen, it is a Black Chrome Cabara made from spalted mango. I wish I could get a good pic of it but my camera :oo:. He also sent me some great wood that I will be working on this week.
Thanks Darren

bdar
17th July 2008, 10:15 PM
Cigarman and decided on a truly local timber and I was so lucky. I received a Sierra pen made from some Spalted Elm from his sister's home. I also got some nice blanks of the Elm and angled cut Zebra wood. I made Cigarman a pen from some mango that had to be cut for safety reasons on my land and it was my second attempt at home spalting. It was also the first time I have used the Black Chrome as a plating, but am happy with the result.
So here are our pens.
Darren

Big Shed
18th July 2008, 09:10 PM
Today the parcel from dalecamino arrived, he only posted this in the US last Saturday am, what great service from USPS:2tsup:

I should save the superlatives for the goodies he sent me, all this contained in one of the Flat Rate boxes, this guy didn't muck around!

First of all there were about 15 blanks, varied species including some Desert Iron Wood and quite a bit of spalted varieties (love those:2tsup:) as well as some Osage Orange.

In amongst all this was one of the nicest pen boxes I have ever had the pleasure of opening, and it had my name engraved on the lid. Wow! Whoever did the engraving did a very professional job, it looks awesome.

When I opened it there was a Sterling Silver Baron FP inside dressed in Honduras Rosewood Burl, it looks awesome!:2tsup::2tsup:

Unfortunately my pictures do not do this pen justice, it is very nice indeed, superb fit, great blank and fantastic finish (told you I needed to save my superlatives)

bdar
18th July 2008, 10:27 PM
Fred an impressive haul my friend, you are going to be kept quiet busy in the coming weeks with you new blank stash

Big Shed
21st July 2008, 02:02 PM
I made these 2 Cigar pens for dalecamino (Charles) in the US.

First one is Yellow Box from my property, kit is Satin Gold

Second one is an experiment, I like pushing boundaries. It is the bark from a Red Ironbark tree. This bark can get up to 3-4 inches thick and can be quite dense. The first 2 disintegrated, even after copious amounts of thin CA stabilisation. This one I got the technique to a stage that I can actually turn a pen from it. Kit is Satin Nickel.

Finish on both is CA as per DJ's video.

I also sent Charles some blanks, including some of these bark blanks.

dalecamino
22nd July 2008, 12:09 PM
Fred , I apologize for taking so long to post here . I had to find it first . Thanks for covering for me ! Hear are some photos I took of the wonderful stash I received from Fred . What a great bundle of joy for me !

Thank you for the kind words , and it pleases me , that you like your goodies , as I do mine . Thank you , Fred .

Sawdust Maker
24th July 2008, 11:33 AM
I've just had a look at all these magnificent pens
you have all over excelled. I would be very pleased with myself if I had made any of them or received any of them. What a first class effort from everyone :hooray:
The main reason I've never entered is that I'm a rank beginner and would feel I had short changed someone like amos if I drew them/him
But seeing what everybody is doing I just might have to join in on the next one

So :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: all round

NewLondon88
26th July 2008, 10:46 AM
The main reason I've never entered is that I'm a rank beginner and would feel I had short changed someone like amos if I drew them/him
But seeing what everybody is doing I just might have to join in on the next one

One thing you'll quickly find with this group (of you haven't already) is that the
focus isn't about good, better, best .. it is about mutual support and shared experiences.
Nobody started out as an expert and most of us aren't there yet, either. Everyone
knows what it is like to try something new, change techniques, ask for and receive
help and advice.. there's no need to worry about an 'even swap' of pens. It's about
trying your best, having fun doing it and the pure joy of sharing your experience with
the rest of us.
Nobody asks for anything more.

So .. join in! :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
26th July 2008, 11:22 AM
:whs:

corbs
26th July 2008, 01:47 PM
Got my pen from Jenny (Touchwood) yesterday and I know why the carrier pigeon took so long to get it here... the banksia nut is huge (going to make a massive pen:oo:). Not sure what the kit style is (I like it though:2tsup:) and the material is gold fields burl. Jenny also threw in a few blanks (sorry the photo is a bit smaller of this lot as my bigger one is 1kb too big to post).

Corbs

I had Monty Python images going through my head with the Banksia Nut... "It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut":roll:

Touchwood
26th July 2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks for posting the pic Corbs, got it all packaged and in the mail before I remembered to do that bit - the kit is an Elegant American Ballpoint - chrome.

As said in the PM, watch the dust off the banksia nut - said to be bad, but I have never suffered from turning banksia, or chain sawing or splitting for .... dare I say it ... firewood!!:o:o
JD

NewLondon88
26th July 2008, 02:29 PM
I've never heard of that burl .. but it looks nice. Kind of surprising, as it is dark so you
don't really notice the figuring at fitst .. and then there's a lot to look at.

Very nice. :2tsup:

PenTurner
29th July 2008, 10:13 PM
Sawdust Maker, I am thrilled with whatever I get and NEVER feel "short changed", as with what the others have said, it is all about the care and attention we give at whatever level we happen to be at the time, So next time join in and have great fun in being able to give whatever you are able. Amos :)

David Mitchell
13th August 2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks Louisby,
I recieved your parcel today with a nice pen and a range of different timbers from your place in Texas.:cool: These should make great pens :wink:
What finish did you use on the pen?:?
Regards
David

munruben
20th August 2008, 03:53 PM
Great pens. Standard is really high.:2tsup::2tsup:

celt40
26th August 2008, 07:57 AM
Hi Funkychicken.
I have not received a pen from you yet. :no: It might have been lost on the way over from OZ???
I have been chatting to devonwoody on the UK forum. He said that you stayed with him on your visit to GB. Nice blanks.

celt40
3rd October 2008, 08:45 AM
OH FUNKY CHICKEN where are you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess i am the last member still waiting for his pen from the last swap. :( Have you given up with your pen turning? Did'nt you like the pens i made you.

I have been watching the post each day to see if you have bothered with the swap, guess not.

Brits not welcome !!!!!!!!!!!
This is the first swap that i have had a partner that has'ent bothered to fulfil their part of the swap.:no:

funkychicken
3rd October 2008, 10:42 PM
Ah.

No I haven't forgotten, it's just taking a while. I'm making you a Dead Finish Black Ti Bron and the Dead Finish is being a constant pain in the eye:~ I'll go and work on it now.

Please forgive my lateness. I've been very busy and am having constant trouble with my lathe.

Mike in Nanaimo
12th November 2008, 06:02 PM
Some great looking pens there. Looks familiar Amos!

PenTurner
13th November 2008, 12:21 PM
Mike, this has been my constant companion these past 6 weeks, I thought that fountain pen would be a problem because of my work but it has been good. Thanks to someone in Canada!!:):2tsup:

PenTurner
13th November 2008, 08:41 PM
:)How about this as a simple guideline for future swaps, ------ If it looks like you are going to be long in the tooth, i.e. too long a time before you can make a pen for the partner, I think 6 weeks should be enough time, then just put a post on the particular swap forum saying, "sorry have to pull out is any one able to fill in for me, just send a PM" . No questions asked, it could be work, health, finances etc, etc, if you felt you would like to explain to your swap partner that is up to you.
In this way we do not keep others waiting in hope against hope.
Hope this is agreeable with you all, remember, it is only a suggestion, but one that could save a lot of heartache and misunderstanding. Amos:)

mick61
21st November 2008, 08:17 PM
G`day sounds like a good plan to me I am one of the guilty parties that was a bit slow sending my pen I will not be slow next time.
Mick

PenTurner
22nd November 2008, 07:29 PM
Received this Jnr. Gent fro Mike and had been using it constantly these past 6 weeks or so, but last week, as I was walking the dogs, The cap came of as i was walking and throwing the ball for them to fetch. I must not have fastened it properly. I discovered that it was missing just as i concluded the walk, as I had walked off the path on a large grassy area, I walked back 3 or 4 times retracing my steps, Nothing!:((:-, This past week each evening as I walked the dogs , have been looking out for the cap, well the grass has started growing again and last night there was heavy rain and the grass pushed up a little more, and as I went to walk them today, something caught my eye, there, starting to go to the upright position was the cap!:):2tsup:, I was overjoyed and thought I would share that with you. Pictures are of the pen and self explanatory. Amos:)

Big Shed
22nd November 2008, 07:33 PM
Great story Amos, good to hear that your day wasn't all frustration but also brought some joy.:2tsup:

celt40
23rd November 2008, 10:44 AM
Amos you will need to train the dogs to fetch pens incase this happens again.:)

PenTurner
23rd November 2008, 05:35 PM
Dermot, not only that, but train them and take them to the Pen Show!!!, Amos:)

Simomatra
24th November 2008, 03:02 PM
You will have them turning pens soon Amos:p:p

celt40
17th December 2008, 09:59 AM
Hi Christmas has come early on the top of the world!!!
Received two great looking pens from Funkychicken. Not sure what kit they are, but a fountail & rollerball in a fantastic finish.

Thanks also to FC for a slection of wood blanks. Your wood down under is far more interesting than timber in UK :2tsup:

funkychicken
18th December 2008, 08:49 PM
Finally!!!

I'm glad you like them
The one on the left is a Stirling Silver Sedona in Native Cypress
The one on the right is a Black Ti Baron Fountain pen in Figured Myrtle

The finish is WOP

Cheers and have a great Christmas

Funky C