PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Week Outing

Sapling
20th June 2008, 07:39 PM
Hi all,
Took my boat out for the first time in ages, probably going on 12 months. Think I will have to go more often now.

fubar
20th June 2008, 09:18 PM
nice jewfish? at least thats what we call them down here

Sapling
21st June 2008, 12:41 AM
yes it's a jew, fish and chips for a few nights. Lost another the same night.

TEEJAY
12th July 2008, 07:06 PM
Mighty fine fish Sapling.

In the broadwater or offshore reef?

You'll get some great steaks if you run them through the bandsaw :wink:

My favourite fish

dai sensei
12th July 2008, 11:49 PM
Mighty fine fish Sapling.

In the broadwater or offshore reef?

:whs:

:wtg:

Sapling
13th July 2008, 01:25 PM
In the broadwater Teejay, got a spot that usually fires this time of year.

TEEJAY
16th July 2008, 08:19 PM
Good man well done it's an absolute ripper.

Been years since I have tasted big jew steaks - miss them soooo much.

I used to get fish down Hawksbury River NSW and near Gosford. Night time jew on lure in a creek was exciting too :2tsup:

weisyboy
16th July 2008, 08:23 PM
haent been after anything ecent for adges, mostly whiting and bream.

we should have a wwf fishing trip.:U

dai sensei
16th July 2008, 11:54 PM
we should have a wwf fishing trip.:U

No there's an idea :think:

Sapling
19th July 2008, 02:27 PM
Teejay, lost one on the same night using soft plastic, only had it on for a couple of seconds (rotten line). Have caught a couple of jews that way, very exciting compared to live baiting. WWF trip would be interesting

TEEJAY
20th July 2008, 11:35 AM
Teejay, lost one on the same night using soft plastic, only had it on for a couple of seconds (rotten line). Have caught a couple of jews that way, very exciting compared to live baiting. WWF trip would be interesting

The two types of Jew lure fishing I have done have been 4oz feathers or minnow lures from a headland (Box Head) into the Hawksbury River at flood time with good success - but many fishless trips too and secondly with 6" minnows into a creek only 50 feet wide next to a road bridge at night time catching jews that ambush mullet in the lights from the bridge. Both had very exciting moments along with long spells of no action at all. I did make some large lead heads for big plastics but never had the opportunity to use them before leaving down South.

You use the plastics after dark? for Jigging? or cast and retrieve? The fish you caught was with live mullet/squid?

As I said I would fish by a bridge with a minnow after dark or fish a headland into dirty flood water through the day time.

Using this method I managed near ten fish over about 4 years with smallest 30lbs and largest 62lbs and lost as many as I caught and one fish at my feet 50% bigger than the biggest fish I have caught. I was pretty tired that day with one 45lb caught first up then one lost at my feet after a 40 minute battle - the biggest Jew I have ever seen, and I have seen 70-80lb fish. Anyway I remember it as if it were yesterday - jewfish are a very impressive fish and just as impressive seen whilst diving.

Sapling
20th July 2008, 03:48 PM
Have been live baiting with mullet for the first hour an a half of the run in and about the same on the out with a change of anchor position. While I have the live bait out I cast the soft plastic about, some times targeting jew that are crashing mullet on the surface or let it sink and erratic retreive it in the general area that I fish. Have had luck with all three methods but mostly have fished live bait (50lb and 35lb on the one night as well as alot of in between single catches), the soft plastic being a relatively new way of doing things (3-4 years during the run). The strike rate on the softs is very high in my boat, the first time one was cast by a friend who converted me to their use was a hook up (25), next night I hooked up but lost it at the gaff. It's probably an easier way to fish as it cuts out having to catch bait and is very exciting. Majority of fishing is done at night, although I have live baited the seaway early morning for a catch
If what the fish journo's say is true, "it is 40hrs effort for every jew caught," I am still owed a few.