PDA

View Full Version : Grandson's first effort.

oldiephred
23rd June 2008, 10:38 AM
My grandson (14) expressed some interest in turning so I set him up to make some toothpick holders using spalted birch. The tall ones are 1-1/2" X 3" and the short ones are 2". They have a 1-1/2" deep bowl.
After destroying 2, I thought he did quite well on the rest. They are easy to make and don't require any particular attention to shape or size.
The second picture (if I can get the pictures attached this time) show the work holder we made for the faceplate and the cutting tool. I use that type of cutting tool for more than 90% of the turning I do.

macca2
23rd June 2008, 10:49 AM
Great first effort.
What is the cutting tool. Something you have made or is it shop bought.

Macca

TTIT
23rd June 2008, 11:49 AM
My grandson is only 6 but he loves helping me in the shed - mainly drilling holes - lots and lots of holes:o:U Can't wait to get him on the lathe doing something like those Phred - great work from the boy! - obviously not his 1st shot on the lathe though - what age did he start turning????

Still have my 'toothpick cutter' as I call it on the rack which is identical to yours but I don't use it nearly as much these days - still indipensible at times though.

Rum Pig
23rd June 2008, 12:23 PM
Well done to your grandson :2tsup::2tsup: but be carefully or you will never get him of your lathe

OH that's right that is the best thing about grandchildren you can give them back:doh: (or so I'm told by my farther when he looks after my son):U

munruben
23rd June 2008, 12:25 PM
Wow thats a great effort for first attempt. :2tsup:

Stu in Tokyo
23rd June 2008, 12:30 PM
A great job, well done, and also a great time was had by you both, I'm sure your gandson will remember turning those for the rest of his life! :2tsup:

orraloon
23rd June 2008, 03:58 PM
Good first go. I'll bet you enjoyed it as much as the young'n.

lubbing5cherubs
23rd June 2008, 05:02 PM
he did a top job
Toni

artme
23rd June 2008, 05:28 PM
Great effort!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Looks like we have another potential addict.:q:q

billym
23rd June 2008, 06:21 PM
guess you will need to make space for the second lathe.as he possibly says "real cool":2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
23rd June 2008, 07:54 PM
I could have sworn I posted a reply here this morning :doh:

Great effort well done

Now to make the tooth picks:U

OGYT
24th June 2008, 04:48 AM
Well done!!! I'm hopin for one of my grandsons to want a try! Be proud!!! :D

Tool looks like an Oland tool.....?

oldiephred
24th June 2008, 05:00 AM
Thanks all. I have two lathes. This is not the "typical" teenager (yet). He plays violin, tennis, video games of course and wants to be a tradesman of some sort rather than a cubicle filler.
Yes it is an Oland tool.