PDA

View Full Version : silky / english oak furniture restoration

nick_b00
25th June 2008, 08:38 PM
here are a couple of pics of some of the things i have restored in the last year or so....

desk (silky oak)
filing cabinet (silky oak)
swivel desk chair (english oak) - one of the most comfortable chairs i have ever sat in!

the final pic is another chair i would call a WIP

BozInOz
25th June 2008, 08:46 PM
Looks like you've done a nice job. Wouldn't mind them sitting around my place.

artme
29th June 2008, 03:18 PM
Great to see the pieces come to life again after your wonderful restoration!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

islomaniac
4th July 2012, 11:01 PM
I have just completed stripping and sanding a Silky Oak students desk.

I was going to shellac and beeswax it, but the owner of an antique store said it wasnt good because it can stain easily. I was at a garage sale last wek where an old guy, been doing it years said he used Danish Oil and estapol.

I really want to have the colour of the original old desk, but I want a nice clean finish, like a satin estapol.

What finish did you use on yours please? They look great. Very envious of your office. I'm hoping to find a silky oak captains chair next.

nick_b00
4th July 2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks. I'm very happy with the finish, I wanted a very durable surface. I used Feast Watson floorseal. Its a tung oil based polyurethane. Now that's not traditional, is hard to repair if damaged, but I'm happy. I'd probably use shellac if I was doing it now.

Nick

Lawry01
5th July 2012, 01:06 PM
I have just completed stripping and sanding a Silky Oak students desk.

I was going to shellac and beeswax it, but the owner of an antique store said it wasnt good because it can stain easily. I was at a garage sale last wek where an old guy, been doing it years said he used Danish Oil and estapol.

I really want to have the colour of the original old desk, but I want a nice clean finish, like a satin estapol.

What finish did you use on yours please? They look great. Very envious of your office. I'm hoping to find a silky oak captains chair next.

Nick..beutiful furniture, & beautiful finish!!

Islomaniac, I would go shellac & traditional wax.....I learned this doing up my old english oak desk (thread is in here somewhere) Check out the thread..more from the POV of the amazing wisdom & advice given to me by a few of the craftsmen on this forum..namely WW & HC. Also, the ability to readily repair shellac is in its favour. So, get cracking! Then start to post WIP & Pics please!! Lawry:2tsup:

Horsecroft88
6th July 2012, 08:53 PM
Heh heh thanks Lawry for the support! Yes agree with the advice though. If someone is concerned the the risk of damage to a shellac finished surface, you could always try hard shellac as it is even more durable, but doesn't look plastic. In my view poly is a no no for old furniture. I like feast Watson floor seal but for floors, and areas in a house that might be subject to some water exposure. But not furniture. Danish oil is also fine but not for antiques.

nick_b00
6th July 2012, 08:59 PM
Islomaniac, why not try some of the forums' sponsors products (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm)?

Nick

Lawry01
6th July 2012, 11:19 PM
Islomaniac, why not try some of the forums' sponsors products (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/ubhome.htm)?

Nick

Islomaniac..my desk is finished in U Beaut's Traditional Wax...gives it a beautiful finish, and so far, given that its a well used desk, its wearing well. I'm thinking of a second coat in about a month to top it off/ up. ENjoy the process ! :)