PDA

View Full Version : Blackbean and Huon Pine

Chipman
26th June 2008, 09:58 PM
Here is a lidded bowl made from Blackbean and a Huon Pine lid and Blackbean handle. As I am relatively new to this type of turning any advice or constructive criticism is very welcome

http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=76327&d=1214477915

http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=76328&d=1214477915

The finish is wipe on polyurethane and wax

Chipman:)

funkychicken
26th June 2008, 10:21 PM
Just a Q...Did you wear breathing protection when turning that blackbean? Cause it's pretty noxious stuff

Oh and Nice bowl:2tsup:

Chipman
26th June 2008, 10:50 PM
Just a Q...Did you wear breathing protection when turning that blackbean? Cause it's pretty noxious stuff

Oh and Nice bowl:2tsup:

Well I did wear a good quality dusk mask... I have heard this and the few times I have used it (mainly flat work) I always wear the mask.

Actually the worst wood I have ever used is african cherry or Makore. It makes your eyes water and even with a dusk mask, it burns up the nose.

Thanks,

powderpost
26th June 2008, 10:56 PM
Nice bowl. Black bean makes me sneeze a lot. I wear a powered face shield now.
Jim

wheelinround
27th June 2008, 12:11 PM
Like it a lot great contrast Chipman

DJ’s Timber
27th June 2008, 12:13 PM
I like it, looks great :2tsup:

Harry72
27th June 2008, 01:16 PM
:whs:

artme
27th June 2008, 07:28 PM
Good one!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Chipman
27th June 2008, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.... but don't forget if I am to improve, I will need some criticisms too (could be a bit scary but it needs to be done)

This was the third lidded bowl/box (Thanks ARTME)

I can't wait to actually get my own lathe. I have a small Woodfast (ml305) on order with Carbatec... it has been a month and still not here. Up until now, I have to go back to school out of hours to do my turning so I am really looking forward to being able to do it at home.

Regards,

rowie
27th June 2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.... but don't forget if I am to improve, I will need some criticisms too (could be a bit scary but it needs to be done)
Regards,
My first impression is that the base diameter could be reduced to help 'lift' the peice. Also the angles where the lid meets the top of the base need to flow into each other a bit more to help it look like it is one peice. Good start tho:2tsup:

hughie
28th June 2008, 09:54 AM
Looks good for a Newbie attempt.:2tsup:

Critique, my 2 cents worth, with no requirement to take it on board. :U

Perhaps for me, a lessening of the size of the beads around the body and to recess the lid into the body rather than the way you have down it. This would take some of the heaviness from the body and meld the lid into the over all shape. So the lines flow and then your handle will be highlighted.

It looks like you have a portion of straight lines on the bottom half, perhaps make that into one flowing curve and place a small beaded foot to lift it up.