PDA

View Full Version : Free Digital Woodworkers Journal

Chipman
27th June 2008, 12:02 AM
Just letting you know that American Woodworker's Journal is experimenting with a digital form of their magazine. For this month only it is free.

Worth taking a look at

http://www.zinio.com/express3?issue=273042679

Cheers,

Chipman:)

MALPT
27th June 2008, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the heads up Chipman - interesting format but bit bloody annoying with the amount of clicking to get next page, enlarge so can read, move mouse all round to read page, then click to reduce size and get to next page etc etc but still interesting to see a magazine in "magazine format" online.

Big Shed
27th June 2008, 08:53 AM
Agree with that. Very unclear text (pixelated) at 100%, only gets worse as you enlarge it.

Rum Pig
27th June 2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks Chipman I did not mind the messing around since it is there first one, I'm sure they will refine it a bit more and you can print the page to read if you like (handy if you are about to go to the toilet:D) I think there on to a winner

wheelinround
27th June 2008, 11:57 AM
:2tsup: TY for that looks great on my screen when clicking on the page its zooms to 200% easy to read priinted pages excellent

kmthor
27th June 2008, 06:54 PM
if you click the top right hand corner you can turn the pages at whatever zoom you are in.

km

hughie
28th June 2008, 10:04 AM
Hmm a great idea and a very good price. But as I got into it the quality went down the tubes somewhat.

Maybe deliberate so as to not give away the first copy. For me that negated the hook part of the advertising.

robynmau
29th June 2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Folks

I think it's interesting that they are trying this. I actually sent an email to 'Woodturning' magazine and asked if they were considering going to an electronic form in the future as I wasn't going to be in a position to get their hardcopy easily - short, sharp answer - NO:D

May be if these guys get their act into gear I can subscribe to them:U

Cheers

Robyn

NeilS
29th June 2008, 04:24 PM
Found it quite easy to navigate and read once I had fathomed how best to do that. Suggestions:

* make your browser a full window size
* run your mouse over the 'page ruler' at the bottom of the window to quickly get small pop-up previews of each double page.
* the print won't be readable in these previews but the headings and pictures will give sufficient info to select an article
* click on the required page on the ruler and you will get a fuzzy two-page spread in the main window which will become clearer as it progressively downloads (the faster your Internet connection the faster this will happen), BUT the small print will still not be clear enough to read, so then..
* click on the area of the two-page spread that you would like to read and it will expand to large fuzzy print that will progressively come clear and become very readable
* use the sidebars to move the page up/down or left/right, or if you wish to jump a distance over the page, click anywhere on the page and it will reduce to the two-page display again then click on the area you wish to zoom in on
* note: the display window has to be in two-page mode for the 'page ruler' to be active - a single click on an enlarged page display will return it to the two-page mode

I enjoyed reading a couple of the articles, but not sure if I will pay the US$9.95 for 6 issues per year, but would certainly pay that for a dedicated and quality online woodturning mag.

Neil

BobR
29th June 2008, 10:16 PM
With a 17" monitor set to 1929 x 1200 I have no trouble reading the mag. No scrolling around to read the pages which are displayed 2 side by side. As this is the full mag complete with adds, I think that at less than AUD3.00 per copy this is excellent value. Providing you the this mag. And no wait for delivery time. I suscribe to the hard copy version. What I want to know is how long before back issues are up, and how far back they are going. I recently purchased plans from Rockler and had to wait for it to be delivered by snail mail. When it finally got here, it was only four pages photocopied from this mag :~

Chipman
29th June 2008, 10:26 PM
I have no problem viewing it (1680 x 1050).

The scroll bar along the bottom gives a thumbnail of two pages, a click on a page gives small print and another click gives large print but it does take about a second to come up clear as it downloads from the web.

Ultimately it depends on what your personal preference is but to me the price is reasonable....

Chipman
6th August 2008, 10:36 PM
"Weekend Woodworking" from the American Woodworkers Journal is curently available online.
http://www.zinio.com/express3?issue=284156372

They have made changes to the format that they used in the first one and have incorporated the changes from the feedback they got and so they have extended the free period (to those who are registered to the online ezine).

Cheers,