PDA

View Full Version : Segment bowl questions

lubbing5cherubs
27th June 2008, 03:25 PM
Hi Guys I don't want to know the angles or anything but if I wanted to make this bowl here and I want to go to buy the starting timber at the local lumber shop how much and what size would I need to get so I can make.

Like I think I can work out the angles. I just was going to get some cheap wood to experiment on but what dimension do you start with for the segmented bowl to make a simple round shape of 6" for a starting figure how much wood would you need?
I been explained all the angles and read the how to do the glue up that I am ok but what I have never ever had explained is what wood size do you buy is 2 x 1 or 4 x 1 what stock do you start with? and roughly how much. If you are a person that segments what do you grab off your shelf to start with?
Toni

weisyboy
27th June 2008, 03:47 PM
a bowl 150mm in diameter would need about 500mm fo 75mm stock for the top deck then about half the amount to make the base in 38mm this would get you started anyhow.

thickness will depend on the depth of the finished bowl. there are 2 ways to go about it. to get a deeper bowl you can either use thicker stock or more decks.

there is a program for download to work it all out for yo ill see if i can find it.:2tsup:

here it is http://www.segmentedturning.com/software.htm they now offe only a 30 day trial for free.

there aothers out there aswell but i like this one.

to get your angles just divide the number of sides by 360.

lubbing5cherubs
27th June 2008, 04:40 PM
Carl I have both those programs but still can't get this basic answer or if I can I need help with it. It is really ping me off this si something I want to do for so long it makes me angry you know when you want something to and just can't get the basics really driving me crazy. That why I am asking dumb questions because i want it
bye Toni

ss_11000
27th June 2008, 04:55 PM
um, why not just go out and buy a heap of wood and experiment?

lubbing5cherubs
27th June 2008, 05:14 PM
Stirlo I like your thinking hubby out doing that now so together we can figure it out sort of
Toni

BernieP
27th June 2008, 05:43 PM
G'Day Toni

This bloke gives you materials needed http://www.segmentedturning.com/images/6inchhemisphere.gif

Cheers
Bernie

wheelinround
27th June 2008, 05:57 PM
Google is still working hard here's a good one Toni check the hints section
http://www.segmentedturning.com/

Here's one I posted ages ago this fella's nearly as good as hardenfast http://www.turnedwood.com/

weisyboy
27th June 2008, 07:34 PM
that programm not only tels you what timber to buy but tells you how mutch it will cost.

#1 non grain matching.

find the outside circumfrance of your peice (lenght of the outside), then divide by 1.5.

2 x 3.14 x 75mm = 471mm / 1.5 = 314 (see pic 1) not sure on this one

# 2 grain matching

find the outside circumfrance of your peice (length of the outside), this will be short of the amount you need. so you need to add about 11%.

2 x 3.14 x 75 = 471mm + 51mm = 522mm(see pic 2)

this will give you 2 bowls.

as for the thickness of your stock that depends on the thickness of each layer. and the width of the board, if it is only a small bowl then half the diamiter otherwise it can be slightly larger than the wall thickness.

robyn2839
27th June 2008, 08:50 PM
um, why not just go out and buy a heap of wood and experiment?

what stirlo said ,thats what i did just cut and glue together till you have about the size of bowl required.bob

funkychicken
27th June 2008, 08:54 PM
http://marleyturned.com has some interesting videos of him making segmented forms. He uses a very handy looking table saw jig to cut the segments

Hardenfast
29th June 2008, 10:20 AM
Some good advice and links above, Toni. Personally, I have never used any program or formula in working out my cuts and quantities - mainly because I generally have no finished plan in mind. My projects tend to be dictated by whatever is in my offcuts bin, or what interesting timbers I've been able to salvage from renovation works etc.

This works for me, but if your are looking to buy some sections of timber for a specific segmented bowl project I guess one of the calculation programs would be the safest bet. You will find that once you have assembled and turned a couple of segmented pieces that the whole process will sort of "click", and you will be much more confident in your designs and assemblies.

The quantity and sectional size of the timber required can vary somewhat depending on the type of bowl you want. For a bowl with vertical sides your "rings" can probably all be the same overall diameter, whereas a bowl with splayed sides (wider at the top) may require rings which have a progressively wider diameter.

There will probably be a little trial and error in your first few pieces, but you have enough turning skills to knock up something pretty amazing. A little bit of practice on your cutting and assembly techniques and you'll be a dedicated segmenter!

I found a design similar to the first segmented bowl that I worked on and the link is below. You may have already found this site (Woodturning Online), but if you haven't it's worth a look around and they have a whole section on Segmented Woodturning. You'll see the "6 sided beginner's segmented bowl plans" near the top of this page, and it gives you an idea of what size and how much of each timber you'll require for the piece.

Let us know how you go.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/segmented_turning/index.html#beginner

Wayne

lubbing5cherubs
3rd July 2008, 06:44 PM
My first piece is cut up and gluing now. I got brave enough to do it. I am excited to have a go at the next levels
Toni

lubbing5cherubs
5th July 2008, 11:48 AM
Hi what finish do you use on it?
Toni

weisyboy
5th July 2008, 12:39 PM
what do u use on your other work?

lubbing5cherubs
5th July 2008, 01:05 PM
superglue ??
Toni

weisyboy
5th July 2008, 01:08 PM
what?

that would take a lot of super glue.

what do u use on bigger work?

i would highly recomend u beuts eee and shelawax glow:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
5th July 2008, 01:11 PM
ok sorry on pens I use Superglue.Yes I do use ubeaut that is what I used on it thanks
Toni