PDA

View Full Version : Woodfast Midi Lathe (M305)

DuncanH
28th June 2008, 12:56 PM
Hi All,
Does anyone know of any places that have these in stock? All of the places I've called won't have any stock for quite a while and Steve from Woodfast said their next load of stock comes in about 5 weeks :down: I'm willing to spend more if it means I can get my hands on a decent mini/midi lathe sooner than that (all the comments about centres not lining up and paper shoved in to make things level etc in regards to the Jet has scared me away from those however :-).

Big Shed
28th June 2008, 01:12 PM
I assume you have tried Carbatec, perhaps Adelaide has stock as they have just opened a branch there?

DuncanH
28th June 2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah I tried Carbatec. No M305 stock until mid September :( I'm happy to spend a fair bit more on an alternative lathe to the M305, it just has to be small (my shed is microscopic :p). Any suggestions?

lubbing5cherubs
28th June 2008, 01:33 PM
What about Jim Carrol I don't know if he has any in stock but I do know that he sells woodfast and I have got 2 lathes up from him (mini and a Nova 16:24) and he uses pretty economical freight and you get the best service
Toni

DuncanH
28th June 2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah I've asked Jim as well, and he's in the same situation. Can you recommend a similar (or better) lathe that is around the same size?

artme
28th June 2008, 02:49 PM
Jet Midi.

DuncanH
28th June 2008, 02:59 PM
Jet Midi.
Yeah I've looked at the Jets, but I'm not too sure because of people's experiences of things being misaligned on them :?

funkychicken
28th June 2008, 04:04 PM
Jet Midi.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

DuncanH
28th June 2008, 04:12 PM
That's a fairly determined answer :p What would you recommend funkychicken?

lubbing5cherubs
28th June 2008, 04:29 PM
Leda are brilliant. I have loved mine and so have others I know. Never seen any complaints but the one I was having but it was not the lathe it was the surface it was on
hope that helps
Toni

funkychicken
28th June 2008, 04:49 PM
I would recommend anything but the Jets. I have one...

I reckon Woodfast would be the go. Or a Vicmarc mini if you're rich

DuncanH
28th June 2008, 05:24 PM
Leda are brilliant. I have loved mine and so have others I know. Never seen any complaints but the one I was having but it was not the lathe it was the surface it was on
hope that helps
Toni
Thanks Toni. They look fairly similar to the Jets, but for the price it looks like you can't go wrong. Where did you order yours from? (I assume this (http://www.ledamachinery.com.au/catalogue/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=65) is the model you're referring to?)

I would recommend anything but the Jets. I have one...

I reckon Woodfast would be the go. Or a Vicmarc mini if you're rich
Yeah I don't think I could justify getting the Vicmarc to myself at this stage, although it would be nice :rolleyes:. I've looked everywhere for the Woodfast but nobody seems to have one. I'm an impatient sort, so I don't really want to wait 5 weeks for new stock to arrive :-

Tankstand
28th June 2008, 07:02 PM
Hi, Have you tried the source? Woodfast (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php)

DuncanH
28th June 2008, 07:09 PM
Hi, Have you tried the source? Woodfast (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php)
Yep, that was one of the first places I tried. They don't get stock for another 5 weeks.

lubbing5cherubs
28th June 2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks Toni. They look fairly similar to the Jets, but for the price it looks like you can't go wrong. Where did you order yours from? (I assume this (http://www.ledamachinery.com.au/catalogue/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=65) is the model you're referring to?)

Yes that is the model I have been referring to but mine come from Jim Carrol
But I can't see them on his site might have to shoot him a email
Toni

ssgt
28th June 2008, 08:42 PM
Carbatec perth have stock saw one on display last wednesday.
ssgt

DuncanH
28th June 2008, 08:55 PM
Carbatec perth have stock saw one on display last wednesday.
ssgt
Wow really? I'll give them a call first thing on Monday :2tsup:

Chipman
28th June 2008, 09:44 PM
Hope it works out but don't get too excited, I have already been waiting 5 weeks here in Melbourne. Carbatec (Melbourne) have one but you will probably find it is Display Stock like the one here.

Chipman

BobL
28th June 2008, 10:10 PM
Talking about the Woodfast midi, today the indexing key stopped working. I took it apart and it was obvious the pin? holding the indexing cog had fallen out. I tapped the hole to take a piece of 3/16" brass all-thread. If it shears again it should be easy enough to drill out the brass and insert a new one. A bit of a PITA but I guess that serves me right for using the indexing key to lock the lathe while I screw on the chuck.

I don't have a lot of wood lathe experience but I think it is a very good little unit and handles most of the abuse I throw at it.

Cheers

David Mitchell
28th June 2008, 10:12 PM
Hi DUNCANH
HARE & FORBES Catalogue has a Hafco Woodfast Mini lathe Electronic variable speed for $199:2tsup:
The only thing I think it hasn't got a 1 or 2MT other wise this looks very good.

The other month I purchased a Mini Wood fast V /S from Carrolls this is an Excellent lathe ,but much more expensive $795 I don't think they are available
at the moment.
I hope this is of some assistance:wink:
Regards
David

derekcohen
28th June 2008, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by artme
Jet Midi.

FC, what's the problem?

I've had a Jet mini about 18 months or so and it is brilliant. Very reliable. But mine is a manual speed change, not the variable speed model. The latter is the one with the bad rep. The manual is highly regarded around the world. How many here have a problem with the manual version?

Regards from Perth

Derek

DuncanH
1st July 2008, 07:49 PM
Hi guys,
I'm heavily leaning towards the Leda now based on people's responses and good comments about it. I've found a place in Sydney which stocks them so I'll see if I can get my hands on one soon. Thanks for the advice :2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs, what sort of accessories (if any) came with yours?

Duncan.

Sawdust Maker
1st July 2008, 08:47 PM
Is the Nova really that much bigger in size? ie the 1624-44, basic bed is 600mm long etc

Manuka Jock
1st July 2008, 09:14 PM
Well, the Nova can grow :D

Sawdust Maker
1st July 2008, 09:43 PM
big candlestick holder you're making there :o:o

Manuka Jock
1st July 2008, 10:01 PM
We Kiwi got big candles cobber :D

but

Mine is only half that :C but is just as powerful :)
----------------------------------
The pic is from the Nova Users site .

the caption ...
" Mr Alan Steele has done some huge Garden Ornaments for donation to the National Trust for Scotland </ST1:C.
These were turned from freshly felled larch trees at NTS property Crathes <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:PLACETYPE w:st="on">Castle</ST1:PLACETYPE> . "

<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P>http://www.teknatool.com/Gallery/Gallery.htm</O:P>

Jigsaw
1st July 2008, 11:18 PM
You should try Carbatec in Perth, I was in there on Saturday and they had plenty of them. They said they are a very popular item and they had plenty. Not sure what the cartage is though.

Chipman
2nd July 2008, 03:43 PM
You should try Carbatec in Perth, I was in there on Saturday and they had plenty of them. They said they are a very popular item and they had plenty. Not sure what the cartage is though.
Hi Jigsaw,

Was that Carbatec Perth or Melbourne?

I just rang Carbatec Melbourne about my m305 and they said another week yet... I have heard this same time (another week) about 4 times so far!

Chipman

Allan at Wallan
2nd July 2008, 05:20 PM
I purchased my Woodfast Midi M305 from Jim
Carroll in February and am very happy with it.

Since then one of my mates has bought one off
him and now my woodturning club is about to
place an order. There is still a few weeks wait
as they are madly making them and loading them
on to the boat.

Jim has about ten on order and Carbatec about
twenty so don't hold your breath.

I cant rate the Leda but I can say I have no
bad reports on the Woodfast.

Allan

You can't teach an old mouse new clicks.

Jigsaw
3rd July 2008, 12:10 AM
Chipman, this was in Perth as I am on holidays at present.

DuncanH
11th July 2008, 11:47 PM
Hi All,
After a bit of 'umming and erring' with Carbatec and Sydney Tools, I've decided that trying to get hold of display stock isn't worth the trouble, so I've ended up ordering the Leda mini. Thanks for all your help :)

Jigsaw
19th July 2008, 06:04 PM
WMS in Plenty rd Preston, Melbourne have some in stock as of today.
They just received their order from Carbatec Melbourne.
I suggest you get in quick.

DuncanH
19th July 2008, 06:36 PM
I've actually already taken delivery of my Leda mini, but thanks for the info :2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
20th July 2008, 01:40 AM
you will love her. Mine is a ripper and I have no doubt so will you one be
Toni

Jigsaw
21st July 2008, 08:48 AM
DuncanH, I knew you had got one, I just posted the info as I new there was supposed to be about an 8 week wait for delivery on these units and I thought someone else might me trying to source one.
Our club was looking for one and so was a member of our club.