PDA

View Full Version : turned "side table"

Alex07
29th June 2008, 10:38 PM
Hi all

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but as it is a turned piece I will try here first.

A friend asked me to make some small "side tables" which you put by your armchair to hold your tea and bikkies. They have a base (with weight attached inside) a single post, and a twinned top in a figure-eight shape (see attachments). I had not seen this design before, and I'm hoping someone can tell me where the design originated, and any other info on it.

Thanks in advance, Alex

Chipman
29th June 2008, 10:48 PM
Hi Alex,

I think I have seen a cake stand something like your table...

It looks quite nice....it is a good idea to put weight in the base (recently I made a traditional pedestal and added extra wood to the base to increase its stability and if I had something heavy/really valuable on top, I have it hollow so I can put a substantial weight inside it too)

Nice work,

Chipman:)

Stryker223
30th June 2008, 07:48 AM
Alex, your table looks a lot like the tables I've seen in poker rooms, placed around the tables for the players to place their drinks, ash trays, and possibles on.

Woodwould
30th June 2008, 03:56 PM
I've seen Victorian standard lamps with 3/8" steel plate recessed and screwed into the wooden bases to give them some stability.

RETIRED
30th June 2008, 04:46 PM
We use lead shot.

Woodwould
30th June 2008, 05:13 PM
We use lead shot.
Applied with a shotgun? :o

RufflyRustic
30th June 2008, 08:16 PM
Only if you've had a bad day or need some target practice:D

Alex07
1st July 2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks everyone for your knowledge and insight, regarding weights in the base and other aspects. I went down to the local sports shop and bought 1.25 kg iron weights, the sort you put on a bar for doing weight lifting. Worked very well as the tables are just over 400 mm high. I guess a standard lamp would need more because of its bigger size. I did a standard lamp last year and used the same idea (1.25 kg in the base).

As for the design, I like its origin as the poker player's offsider best.

Cheers, Alex