PDA

View Full Version : I got the Raddiatta Blues????????

tea lady
30th June 2008, 01:08 AM
Here is another experiment I have been mucking about with. Just a bit of ol' Radiatta dyed blue. 'Twas one of my earlier turnings so don't look to hard at the tear-outs and stuff. 2nd pic is with one of my cups. Something to develop?

(Having trouble with 2nd pic. Normal service shall be resumed shortly.:D)

artme
30th June 2008, 09:23 AM
Sweet!! Radiata can be very successfully used as you have shown.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

ticklingmedusa
30th June 2008, 09:55 AM
I think the blue works well over a blonde wood,
nicely done...
Nice symmetry in the balance of grain pattern on each side of the center.
Keep thinking outside of the box...
or perhaps its a case of the if I clean my platter may I be excused ? blues.

robutacion
30th June 2008, 12:36 PM
Hi tea lady,

Yeah, I like it.
That was a nice colour to use, I've done a few myself using and experimenting with some, should I say..."unusual" colours and dyes types.
Some results were also "unusual" at the least!,:oo:.
Good fun tough...!:D
This is a pic of one of my early ones.

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

littlebuddha
30th June 2008, 07:32 PM
You might use this but if not try it..coloring wood a good way great colours able to mix and non toxic so safe for food stuff also..food coloring comes in small bottle and is cheap, you can spray it or by rag brush, build up the depth or blend one colour to the other, its very easy to use, use gloves those stains the hell out of fingers, but does come out with some washing. LB:2tsup:

http://www.shapewood.co.uk

tea lady
30th June 2008, 08:43 PM
Here is the other pic of the saucer with the cup. I was looking to make the wood relate to the clay in some way. Colour is one way. Form is another.

TTIT
30th June 2008, 09:59 PM
Here is the other pic of the saucer with the cup. I was looking to make the wood relate to the clay in some way. Colour is one way. Form is another.That is so cool :2tsup: I've been wondering how long it would take you to start combining your chosen mediums like this. Love the effect :2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
30th June 2008, 10:02 PM
Here is the other pic of the saucer with the cup. I was looking to make the wood relate to the clay in some way. Colour is one way. Form is another.

Nice:2tsup:
My taste would point to a timber with a tighter grain. But I like the general idea
Interesting comparing textures between the clay and the timber

bugger TTIT beat me to the comment : ]

RufflyRustic
30th June 2008, 10:02 PM
Love it Tea Lady :2tsup:

Hmm, actually it's very inspiring!! Thank you!:)

cheers
Wwendy

lubbing5cherubs
30th June 2008, 10:06 PM
very nice indeed love it as the set
Toni

Harry72
30th June 2008, 11:07 PM
Yep the cup finishes the picture, well done TL it looks good.

OGYT
1st July 2008, 09:23 AM
Good job, TL. Saucer looks like a platter... til you set the cup on it. :D Like the grain with the blue coloring.

tea lady
1st July 2008, 10:22 AM
That is so cool :2tsup: I've been wondering how long it would take you to start combining your chosen mediums like this. Love the effect :2tsup::2tsup:
I started out turning telling myself I wanted to make things to go with the pottery.:D Now I'm having ideas with no pottery at all.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments guys. Now to find some nice closed grained pine to do more.:2tsup:(Pine has nice knots don't you think. And the hard growth rings resist the dye so shown up the grain well.)

BernieP
1st July 2008, 07:46 PM
G'Day Tea Lady

Love those different ideas, thanks for sharing, really great, greenie sent!
If you ever feel like humouring a old bloke would love to see cup with handle, not fancy just a blue blush with it on that saucer.

Cheers
Bernie

tea lady
1st July 2008, 07:50 PM
G'Day Tea Lady

Love those different ideas, thanks for sharing, really great, greenie sent!
If you ever feel like humouring a old bloke would love to see cup with handle, not fancy just a blue blush with it on that saucer.

Cheers
BernieCups with handles are in the pipe line.:rolleyes: So many ideas. Not enough time.:C:D

Stryker223
2nd July 2008, 08:21 AM
This is neat!!!!
I've never seen dyed turnings like this and dying wood really opens the door to experimenting!!! I'll definitely be getting some food coloring next time I visit the store!
Have any of you folks tried coloring your turnings with markers?
There's an article in December 07 WoodWorker's Journal about turning ornaments and they mention using markers to color the wood ornaments while spinning them on the lathe at 300 rpm. They mention a couple brands, Permopaque opaque pigment markers (Sakura Brand) and jumbo Sharpie markers. I plan on using markers to color some turnings I'll be making soon.
I am so happy I found this place!!!
You folks are showing me so many new ideas it's like starting wood working all over gain!!! :D