PDA

View Full Version : Vicmarc owners, question no 2

jefferson
30th June 2008, 08:46 PM
Sorry about this. The 120 chuck went on the lathe today, just waiting on some jaws which will hopefully arrive tomorrow so I can turn a basic lidded box out of 3 inch Murray Pine.

In the meantime, I was playing around hoping to put the new 150 chuck on the outboard side. But I could not for the life of me get the counter balance off the head stock. It must be left-hand wind but it wouldn't budge what ever I did. Any clues? Maybe, once I get it off, I think I need a left-hand thread for it?

Which leads to another question - can I leave both chucks semi-permantently on the lathe?

This wood turning caper gets more and more complex.

Hope someone can help.

regards Jeff

DJ’s Timber
30th June 2008, 08:54 PM
Have you removed the safety collar and no it's not a left hand thread, it's a right hand thread.

You could leave the both chucks on, as long as you use the Vicmarc insert which have a locking grubscrew and the safety collar to stop the insert from unwinding off the spindle.

jefferson
30th June 2008, 11:06 PM
DJ,

thanks for that. I'll have another look tomorrow and take the "safety" off.

regards Jeff

jefferson
1st July 2008, 01:36 PM
DJ,

I've sorted the chuck on the outboard side - thanks for the advice. I now have the 120 inboard and the 150 outboard. I hope neither decides to fly off!

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
1st July 2008, 07:50 PM
Good stuff :2tsup:

If you're leaving a spare chuck on, I would put the safety ring on the spare one or even better, order a second one and put one on each chuck and you'll know they won't want to come off then, but this only works if you're using the Vicmarc inserts :doh: