PDA

View Full Version : Some New Burl Bowls

pete_g111
2nd July 2008, 12:12 AM
Hey, heres a few new bowls i've just recently finished.
The first is a coolabah burl with a large, fat rounded edge. it's got quite a bit of weight to it for its size, solid piece of timber and not 100% dry.

Second is a red mallee burl platter. You can see i've left it quite natural on the underside as it would have been far too thin and I love the colour difference between it and the red timber so it's worked out well. I think the lip around the edge gives it a nicer look also.

The third im not quite sure of the timber, I think coolabah. It's very natural and has only a small curve in the top as thats all the timber would allow for. But I think its not bad for what was a dodgy looking burl.

Feel free to comment, id love to hear your opinions!

benji79
2nd July 2008, 09:42 AM
Nice work. Gotta love burls. I like the thick design, might have to try one like that.

Benji

BobL
2nd July 2008, 09:49 AM
I like them, interesting designs and well executed.

Cheers

hughie
2nd July 2008, 09:13 PM
Well done Pete, really good colour in the Mallee. :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
2nd July 2008, 10:53 PM
Very nice
I think I like the mallee the most - well executed
picked up a small piece of coolibah today - nice to see the colour in yours

PS what finish did you use?

Thornburn
3rd July 2008, 08:49 AM
Pete,

Well done, thoroughly enjoyed your work. As Sawdust Maker said...what finish did you use?

Cheers

Ad de Crom
3rd July 2008, 05:07 PM
Pete, the red mallee burl platter took immediately my attention, definitely my favorite, I can look for houres to this platter, without getting tired.
Your bowl is in my opinion the heavy, it looks nice, but it would be not my choice to turn it that way, but this is just my opinion.
Anyway great work.
Ad :2tsup:

artme
3rd July 2008, 05:58 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:Well done Pete!! Beautiful timber put to good use!

wheelinround
3rd July 2008, 07:26 PM
top work there every one of them :2tsup::2tsup:

ss_11000
3rd July 2008, 08:07 PM
nice work mate:clap:. the finish on them looks to be top notch:2tsup:

pete_g111
4th July 2008, 12:10 PM
They are all sanded to 800 or 1000 grit paper then i apply a coat of danish oil and sand again and repeat this a few times. The coolabah looks super shiny because its still wet with oil.