PDA

View Full Version : Is this "blood-wood"?

robutacion
2nd July 2008, 12:16 AM
Hi everyone,

This is the log I cut from a farmers house front yard, the day I got the olive stump. On the left of the pic-1, you can see the full thing, and the only bit left, from what was a tree. This tree/log/stumpy, has been cut a while ago from the condition of the top but interestingly, it start shutting some new unusual growth, pic-2.
I notice the red colour coming from the bottom cut and also from where I cut the new growth but I didn't realise the inside grain colours, nor the very nice strong smell of strawberries and black berries coming from the fresh cuts/ripping/slabbing. I also notice, my new dog (Zac) German short-haired Pointer, showing a great deal of interest on the smell, and later on, eating some of the freshly cut and very dark red chainsaw shavings!:o:?.
Anyway, I left some pieces in small slabs and rounded a few blanks, sealing all end-grains. This timber is very heavy, and appear to be green and wet all at the same time? I have never seen or worked with this timber species before, and I wouldn't mind to know what it is!
I though that I would have the right answer, when I asked to the farmer if he knew what it was, he said "yes, it is Cypress wood!" :oo: sure...!:no:

None of the pics show the accurate colour of this timber, mainly the reds, but if you know what it is, please share that will all of us, I would appreciate it!

Good luck.
Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

tea lady
2nd July 2008, 12:32 AM
Are those leaves the ones on the tree? Looks more like an allocasurina. I'm no wood expert though. Just a bit on trees. Looks amazing what ever it is.:oo::2tsup:

robutacion
2nd July 2008, 01:52 AM
Hi tea lady,

Yes, those are the new growth cut from the log. On pic-1 you can actually see the fresh cuts on the top, where they were growing from. About 3' in length, they were 5 or 6 of them.
I'm no tree identification expert neither, but you're right, regardless of what the tree name is, doesn't change the "wow" factor of it, huh?:wink::)

I only have one other pic of these branches, and here it is...

RBTCO

artme
2nd July 2008, 07:18 AM
Leaves look like Allocsuarina.
The presence of medullary rays and the type of fruit would help to confirm this.
There are species of Accacia that have the odour you describe. I have a small piece of "strawberry Jam" that I use for demonstration purposes. There is, apparently, an Accacia know as Raspberry Jam. The Boree of southern NSW smells of violets.
No matter what, it is stunning looking timber.
BTW, the Bloodwood I have known since childhood is a Eucalypt with fishscale type bark, classic urn shaped gumnuts, and prominent gum veins.

tea lady
2nd July 2008, 11:34 AM
I think I need some, what ever it is.:2tsup:

funkychicken
2nd July 2008, 01:34 PM
Nup, bloodwood has very distinct bark and leaves typical of a eucalyptus

orraloon
2nd July 2008, 02:49 PM
Looks like sheoak to me. I dont know the actual species as there are a few.
It is bad for cracking so seal well and dry slow.

BobR
2nd July 2008, 02:59 PM
Might put some money on she oak.

rowie
2nd July 2008, 04:00 PM
Looks like sheoak to me. I dont know the actual species as there are a few.
It is bad for cracking so seal well and dry slow.
:iagree: possibly littoralis

artme
2nd July 2008, 05:50 PM
We all, fxcepet for moi he says modeslty:B:B, are forgetting about the odour that RBTC mentions.
I have certainly never smelled that sort of odour with any Casuarinas I have dealt with. However, uot of the many many species I have sniffed but a few.
Still reckon that the presence or absence of prominent medullary rays will add weight to any case.
As the others say, if it is Allocasuarina then it needs sealing - totally with wax - immediately to help prevent cracking and splitting.

robutacion
3rd July 2008, 01:38 PM
Hi people,

If you turn small items and would like to get for free (no charge from me), some pieces of this colourful and nice smelly timber species, this is your chance.
I have put some instruction on this thread http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=75074, so, is all up to you. First come first served, as I only have at this stage about 10 (ten) bags!

Good luck!
RBTCO

rsser
3rd July 2008, 09:38 PM
The only wow factor about those bits is the amount of sapwood AFAIC.

weisyboy
3rd July 2008, 09:42 PM
bloodwood is hard as hell beep red with grey sapwood (verry thin).

but nice timber none the less. reminds me of young redcedar.

rowie
4th July 2008, 02:39 AM
We all, fxcepet for moi he says modeslty:B:B, are forgetting about the odour that RBTC mentions.
I have certainly never smelled that sort of odour with any Casuarinas I have dealt with. However, uot of the many many species I have sniffed but a few.
When its green/alive, it can smell a bit fruity, but any nice smell and vibrant colour is lost very quickly(as we do too when dead:rolleyes:)

Still reckon that the presence or absence of prominent medullary rays will add weight to any case.
I am sure they are there, somewhere? And the foilage
As the others say, if it is Allocasuarina then it needs sealing - totally with wax - immediately to help prevent cracking and splitting.
Unfortunately all I can forsee, is most, if not all of it, splitting badly I am afraid. :(

robutacion
4th July 2008, 11:32 PM
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the comments, we learn something new every day...!:D

Well, I've got it all end-grain sealed (2x coats of gloss acrylic paint), the round blanks and the small slabs so, I only can hope that rowie's predictions are not "true". Is not a lot more I can do, apart from keeping them (blanks/slabs) safely stored and keep an eye on the drying process behaviour. I'm contemplating in rough turn some of it soon, and soak it with my timber stabiliser and see how it performs!:wink:

I have also discover some other similar look a like type leafs trees near the area where this trunk, only, was removed from. This can produce some interesting results, as these 2 species have the same (look a like) leafs but the tree bark and shape look very different. They are not big trees, but some of them are growing in a fence line that I was asked to clear (clean). I will obviously provide some more info on this matter, as soon as I'm ready! maybe a while, will see...!:-

RBTCO

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th July 2008, 01:29 AM
Well, if Rowie's predictions are correct then you'll know for sure that "it's bloody wood." (More like $%^# wood actually, but this is a family forum after all. :innocent:)

Even if it does split beyond "normal" use, I'll hazard a guess and say that you'd get quite a few offers from the pen-turners to take it off your hands... especially the pieces with high contrast.

rowie
5th July 2008, 03:32 AM
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the comments, we learn something new every day...!:D

Well, I've got it all end-grain sealed (2x coats of gloss acrylic paint), the round blanks and the small slabs so, I only can hope that rowie's predictions are not "true". Is not a lot more I can do, apart from keeping them (blanks/slabs) safely stored and keep an eye on the drying process behaviour. I'm contemplating in rough turn some of it soon, and soak it with my timber stabiliser and see how it performs!:wink:

I have also discover some other similar look a like type leafs trees near the area where this trunk, only, was removed from. This can produce some interesting results, as these 2 species have the same (look a like) leafs but the tree bark and shape look very different. They are not big trees, but some of them are growing in a fence line that I was asked to clear (clean). I will obviously provide some more info on this matter, as soon as I'm ready! maybe a while, will see...!:-

RBTCO
I certainly do not wish split wood on you:no:, I hope you can(and you will) get some nice bits out of it:cool:
but,(:aro-l:there it is!) we have all been there before mate:C, opening up a wet log, and suddenly being totally mesmerised by the amazing, almost flourescent colour(s), patterns & aromas that appear, carefully cut out blanks making sure not to waste any, sealing it & storing it carefully, only to find that when fully dry, the wonderful color/s have all faded away to a mere shadow of their initial beauty:((in this case a muddy grey/silver sapwood, with a pale pink/brown heartwood.
If you are lucky, some flashes of darker pink/purple spaltlines will remain/form over the drying period. Biggest problem is it splitting along the medullar rays/multiple starshakes nearly always along the whole length as it dries. Great if you wanna cut shingles:~ Honestly I wish you solid/defect free blanks, but you may want to say a prayer to the wood gods just in case:2tsup: I can post plenty of pics of stuff that has turned from a silk purse to a sows ear :(

robutacion
5th July 2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys for the comments,

Don't worry rowie, I don't believe in "Karma" the good or the bad one, what I do believe in is, that life is a bitch, and good things never last long, huh?:doh:
I suppose, one of the great positives of what I (we) do, is to be able to appreciate nature beauties as they unfold in front of your eyes. There may be a life expectancy when we expose the heart and soul of many tree species, and even our best attempts are not good enough to stop nature processes but, to be privileged to witness first hand such unique "treasures", is on its own well worthing reward.
We may feel upset that a big blank/piece did crack and spoil the whole "project" "intent to be", the colours have nearly disappear or changed considerably to an less attractive look, that timber did twist, bowed, etc., making it usable only in "boat" or "banana" constructions, and so many other events that can totally or partially spoil our original plans or thoughts about what we wanted to do with it/them (blanks/timbers) but in the end, there are a few positive things that come out of the whole experience. First - is always something one can salvage (inventiveness/improvisation) from these blanks/slabs/logs/timbers, -second, the experience of "opening the treasure chest", with the privilege of touch and feel, -third, the use of modern and simple technology (the digital camera) to collect evidence of the findings, - fourth, the knowledge learnt from searching the timber identification and its characteristics in an open forum like this one.:)

Sharing your information and experiences, is the best way to utilise the roads and distances travelled in one's life, there is always the first time for everything, as is always someone out there that will learn/benefit from ones "presence on this earth!".:D

Interestingly, one could thing, someone is playing the game "mine is bigger then yours...!":o hahahahah:p, not at all...!:no: and really... even in this case, size doesn't matter, is more what, one can do with it, huh?:oo::U.

Geez, I'm getting to philosophical, is better go and cut some timber...!:C

RBTCO