PDA

View Full Version : Drying burls

Rum Pig
2nd July 2008, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone I'm going to a Friends block on the weekend (280 acres approx) to clear some trees and he tells me that there is heaps of burls I can chop down.
My question is how do I dry them:?
Do I paint them like the logs:rolleyes:
please help:U

artme
2nd July 2008, 05:55 PM
Help offered on promise of substantial reward! :D:D:D
I have burl pieces that have bee coated totally with wax. This is not absolutely reccomended but i woul certainly allow them to dry slowly away from direct sunlight. sealing freshly cut grain and leaving bark on will be a good first step.

funkychicken
2nd July 2008, 06:20 PM
Artme I do believe you can delete your own posts

And as for the burls, don't bother with them. Send them straight to me:D

But seriously, I'd paint or wax them

rsser
2nd July 2008, 06:40 PM
The interlocked grain is such that you don't need to seal the burls IMO.

Only exception I'd make would be for a schmick Tas Myrtle but even then those are pretty stable, unlike their straight-grained cousins.

On further thought: those comments apply to a lump that's all burl. Often that isn't what you'd get.

hughie
2nd July 2008, 09:02 PM
Best done slowly out the wind and sunlight, coolest part of the workshop or better still under the house.

Some need sealing on the cut area some dont as Ern mentioned. I have found eucalyptus [not resinous] develop deep cracking....chasms actually if not keep cool and out of the sun, no draughts as well.

Rum Pig
3rd July 2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the advise :) I will paint them if they look a bit straight grained:U I will post photos when I get back. Thanks again

BobL
3rd July 2008, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't paint them unless they are seriously solid or the paint is extra gloopy, if the paint is too thin and gets into any existing cracks you might end up picking the paint out of a deep crack - this is a right royal PITA. It's better to use a warm wax or a thickish coat of cheap PVA glue on anything that is cracked. Warm wax solidifies almost on contact and won't penetrate too far.

Rum Pig
8th July 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi all
went out to my friends block on the weekend it was 250 hectares not acres only chopped down one tree with a large burl.:)
How do you tell the difference Between a burl and a branch that has been broken.:?
Also trying to ID the tree I thought it was a salmon gum but no sign of that orange bark so I thought it might be eucalyptus gradifoilage ( not sure if that is how you spell it).
The last photo is of another tree that has a interesting looking trunk I think I will be going back for that soon. the rest of the photos are of the tree we chopped down.:)

TTIT
8th July 2008, 09:13 AM
Way to go RP! From here it looks like a 'resin-burl' rather than a 'healing' which is my term for the broken branch scenario. You'll soon know when you slice it off the trunk - you'll see either resin veins or an old branch stub.
You would be best off to ID your tree from the leaves - did you get any close-ups of them??

Rum Pig
8th July 2008, 09:21 AM
I did not take a close up of the leaves but in my book both leaves are the same. I did take a branch with some leaves home to help ID the tree but as I said both tree have the same leaf.