PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Height

Dano48
3rd July 2008, 10:00 PM
Hello all, I'm Richard, I am fairly experienced in metal turning, however not with wood turning, I recently acquired a wood lathe, that I am restoring because is a bit rusty as it was left outside for a long time, and the person that must have owned it before must have been at least 6 1/2 feet tall, the lathe is an old type and is on a home made stand,(sorry about the pic,cheap mobile cam), the center height is at my shoulders, my question if some one can help is, what is the proper height the lathe should be at, or is it a matter of preference and personal choice?
Be warned, you help me with, this there will be more questions when it's put together, Kind regards to you all,
Richard.

robyn2839
3rd July 2008, 10:16 PM
i was always taught that the center is at elbow height .bob

DJ’s Timber
3rd July 2008, 10:44 PM
There was a discussion on this just recently in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=73988), have a sticky beak in there for some ideas

tea lady
3rd July 2008, 10:46 PM
And 's "big lathe" is about chest height (on me:D).:rolleyes: Horses for courses, so to speak.

Groggy
3rd July 2008, 10:53 PM
And 's "big lathe" is about chest height (on me:D).:rolleyes: Horses for courses, so to speak. would have loved having his own Tea Lady, if only for a little while. :D

tea lady
/'tee .laydee/.
noun
someone who makes and distributes tea, coffee, etc., in offices, factories, 's place etc.

orraloon
3rd July 2008, 11:08 PM
About elbow height is the general aim but then personal preference kicks in. If it is a bit high then a duckboard stand will also keep you'r feet off the hard cold concrete.

Dano48
3rd July 2008, 11:19 PM
Thank you all, that gives me a start, I did think about elbow height, but it's best to ask:), I will be making a wooden bench of some sort for it so I might give it adjustable legs:2tsup::cool:, something I learned today:;, thanks again,
I'll be talking to you again,
Cheers, Richard.

tea lady
3rd July 2008, 11:29 PM
would have loved having his own Tea Lady, if only for a little while. :D

tea lady
/'tee .laydee/.
noun
someone who makes and distributes tea, coffee, etc., in offices, factories, 's place etc.

He has to be content to have a bloke in overalls and a cHecked shirt make his tea.:rolleyes::D

La truciolara
6th July 2008, 03:42 AM
Thank you all, that gives me a start, I did think about elbow height, but it's best to ask:), I will be making a wooden bench of some sort for it so I might give it adjustable legs:2tsup::cool:, something I learned today:;, thanks again,
I'll be talking to you again,
Cheers, Richard.
Richard, for years I have been using a lathe at elbow heights. I must say I changed some 10 years ago, probably because of age, and now I have it 10 centimetres above the elbow. I have to bend much less when deep hollowing.

Dano48
6th July 2008, 10:46 PM
La Truciolara,
Thanks for the info, I don't think I will get to use it that much, I'm more into metal work, only restoring it because I enjoy bringing all tools back to life, an maybe turn a handle or two, to restore something else, my idea is when is ready I may give it to my father, he is in a retirement village and they have a workshop going with some of the boys :D, and they need some tools, that will keep them busy, I will make the legs adjustable anyway so they can adjust them when need be,
Regards, Richard.
Ciao

Cliff Rogers
6th July 2008, 10:53 PM
... I changed some 10 years ago, probably because of age, and now I have it 10 centimetres above the elbow. I have to bend much less when deep hollowing.
Yup... :2tsup: Also makes it easier to see. :wink:

hughie
7th July 2008, 10:07 AM
Yup... :2tsup: Also makes it easier to see

gotta go with that , mines at 1200 centre height which is above my elbow