PDA

View Full Version : My new workshop setup and lathe

jow104
4th July 2008, 04:54 AM
When not in use, lathe is positioned against the wall out of the way of the SCMS saw.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/3rd%20album/setup1w.jpg

When intended to use lathe I will drag it forward to this position.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/3rd%20album/setup2.jpg

At he present moment the lathe rocks so I don't know at the moment if the castings is twisted or my bench is at fault. I intend to investigate again tomorrow afternoon.

Ad de Crom
4th July 2008, 07:19 AM
Looks very nice, only your bench top is not sturdy enough. My suggestion, take a 40mm tabletop for that. Make a sturdy frame and screw the table top on it. I did the same with my lathe.
Look to my website. http://members.lycos.nl/adecrom
Ad :)

Pat
4th July 2008, 07:28 AM
Hello John, nice peek at your shed. I concur with Ad's answer. You bench has to be rock solid. Mine is bolted to the wall in two places and somewhere around the 30 - 40mm thick. Maybe a reorganization of the shed with the obligatory photos?:)

artme
4th July 2008, 08:32 AM
Good setup Jow.

littlebuddha
4th July 2008, 09:49 AM
I thought at first that you ment it rolled back against the wall but it seams you just push it back out of the way,
You will not get anywhere with a lathe that is not bolted down to a bench of some kind, even a small lathe needs to be secured down and a good solid surface, as for rocking i should think that one of the legs is a little smaller in the casting rather than a twist, this can be packed and bolted down. Bolt it down to a solid surface one that is going to stay still or you will just get:((:?:oo::2tsup::DLB

Manuka Jock
4th July 2008, 10:12 AM
Jow , the 'twisting ' is more likely to be in the table top , rather than the lathe.
A 20mm top is no workbench top at all . Add to that ,the frame it sits on is also lightweight .
It would be better , in the short term , to bolt it down to your heavy workbench , with long bolts and wing-nuts .
A new bench , the same size and weight , looks as tho it would fit along the wall , to carry both the drop saw and the lathe.
Try the bolt-down to your excellent workbench first , and see if there is a difference .
I hazard a guess that there will be .

Great workshop there mate , top toys too :2tsup:

Jock

PS. don'tworry about the holes left in the big bench , they may come in handy for bench dogs someday :)

orraloon
4th July 2008, 11:41 AM
As the others have said the bench has to be solid and the lathe has to be secured to it. Most of the turning books have a section on constructing a bench. We are looking at legs at least 4''x4'' (laminate 2 2x4 if you have to) and the top at least 1 1/2''(2 sheets of ply MDF or chipboard can be glued to make this). It does not have to be a work of art just solid and heavy.

OGYT
4th July 2008, 02:46 PM
Agree with all the above. My Little Vic sits on a table made from 13 2x4s screwed and glued together on edge. About 19 or 20 inches wide, and very sturdy on it's 2x4 legs. I just clamped it down, because I move it to my truck when traveling.

jow104
4th July 2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks for all advice mentioned above, a nice new 10ft workbench across that site would be nice.

And purchase a new carpet as well!

Manuka Jock
4th July 2008, 08:28 PM
Na mate , carpet is a bugga to vacuum , best stick with the lino :D

woodwork wally
4th July 2008, 09:09 PM
John I reckkon a thicker bench top but also like yo there is more than one thing happening on my bench area and when the lathe comes in to play I put 2 layers of antislip down and she will sit while I turn for a couple of hours and not move and also reduced the noise considerably so will leave it to you to use the idea if you wish regards WW Wally

jow104
4th July 2008, 11:12 PM

Actually the carpet is better honestly, its a kitchen type carpet, (flotex type) and a stiff brush sweeps it clean a treat.

With regard to top I will report back over the weekend, the lathe is going on another board and anti slip mats sounds a good idea.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th July 2008, 01:22 AM
So, what do you fancy trying your hand at? :U

If only small stuff (small, as in "not the maximum sizes that lathe will handle") like pens, etc. then there's no need to bolt it down. As WWWally said, a rubber mat does the job nicely.

Mind you, you'd be surprised at how big a piece of wood it will spin up... and if you plan on finding out just how big then it'd be a very, very good idea to invest in a couple of bolts. DAMHIKT!

jow104
5th July 2008, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the encoureagement Skew.

The preseent lathe bed is only 15mm chipboard, but everything is screwed to the back wall and the floor also to the side bench, and braced underneath I can get no vibration at the moment.

Going to have a go tomorrow, a neighbour is requesting my services to reset her broadband.

And I gather their helpline is useless!

Sturdee
5th July 2008, 02:01 PM
Nice setup John, but isn't it time you painted the walls white? :D

Peter.

Manuka Jock
5th July 2008, 02:13 PM
Wallpaper , to match the new carpet :D

jow104
5th July 2008, 05:36 PM
Nice setup John, but isn't it time you painted the walls white? :D

Peter.

The other three walls have even more things screwed to them so I reckon that would take a week taking them down and putting them back up alone, and I have got a picture frame to make, 6 boxes to finish and a new lathe that hasn't seen my new chisels yet.

There must be something better than retirement:rolleyes:

rsser
5th July 2008, 06:30 PM

You don't slip on blood soaked into carpet; you do on lino :D

jow104
6th July 2008, 06:27 PM
Prepared a piece of oak to practice turning with the new chisels, 19mm squared.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/3rd%20album/oak1w.jpg

turned this small piece. But how do you get the prongs to centre correctly on the drive shaft and tail end?
The prongs seem to wander to their fancy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/3rd%20album/oak2w.jpg

When using the drive prongs (4) would it be better to remove the faceplate for safety reasons?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/devonwoody/2nd%20album/3rd%20album/oak3w.jpg

BTW I can report there is no noticeable vibration on the workbench, but I do intend to add a thicker base and would like the rubber mat idea but cannot see how I could then slide the lathe into its working position.

rsser
6th July 2008, 06:34 PM
Hit the drive spur into your piece harder Woody, off the lathe.

Your faceplate may be preventing a good bite in any case; yeah, take it off.

DJ’s Timber
6th July 2008, 07:08 PM
:whs: