PDA

View Full Version : Drive centre for vertical lathe

jmk89
4th July 2008, 12:29 PM
I don't have a lathe but make some handles and things using the vertical lathe device for a Drill press that you can get from McJing (with some very cheap turning chisels from the same source).

To date I have stuck a dowel into the end and chucked it in the dp chuck as the drive. That means that I have to wait for the glue to dry before turning and there is foreign matter in the turned article.

Could I use a Morse Taper drive spur in my chuck?

Or should I remove the chuck first to engage the Morse Taper?

Or should I just grind the edge of the taper to make some surfaces for the chuck to grip on?

TIA

RETIRED
4th July 2008, 01:33 PM
I don't have a lathe but make some handles and things using the vertical lathe device for a Drill press that you can get from McJing (with some very cheap turning chisels from the same source).

To date I have stuck a dowel into the end and chucked it in the dp chuck as the drive. That means that I have to wait for the glue to dry before turning and there is foreign matter in the turned article.

Could I use a Morse Taper drive spur in my chuck?No, because you are only gripping on a minute bit of the taper and it probably won't run true.

Or should I remove the chuck first to engage the Morse Taper? Yes but make sure it is seated properly.

Or should I just grind the edge of the taper to make some surfaces for the chuck to grip on? See above.

TIAHTH

jmk89
4th July 2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks

I will see how hard it is to remove the chuck

OGYT
4th July 2008, 02:31 PM
Jeremy, your drive spur needs to be the same taper as your chuck, also. My Chuck for my Drill Press is a Jacobs taper, and the Drive spur for my lathe is a Morse #2. You may have a problem using the drive spur...

Barry_White
4th July 2008, 04:06 PM
Hi Jeremy

A cheap alternative would be to buy a GMC lathe. They are good enough to make tool handles with. If you were a bit closer I have one you could have for free. It even has a four jaw chuck with it.

jmk89
4th July 2008, 06:26 PM
Great offer,Barry. It would almost be worth the petrol to drive up to Tamworth to pick it up!!

I've looked at the manual for the DP - its MT2 so I'll see about getting the check off n then get a drive centre with a matching taper

woodwork wally
4th July 2008, 09:18 PM
Hi Jeremy If the book doesn't tell you If you lower your chuck as in drilling there should be a spot where you drive a tapered wedge to remove the chuck and its taper and then just insert the drive and ensure that it seats . good luck with it and yes the system works and its a bloody lot better than a pole lathe or bow lathe .I just get a pain in the neck cheers for now WW. Wally

joe greiner
4th July 2008, 11:51 PM
Before I had a real lathe, I used my drill press for a few small turnings. I made a two-prong spur drive from a surplus spade bit. I cut the shank shorter to reduce flex and increase the "bed" length. A quick visit to the grinder produced satisfactory "spurs." This might be simpler than mucking about with possibly mis-matched tapers and other dodgements.

Joe

jmk89
5th July 2008, 09:00 AM
Why didn't I think of that!!!

Great idea and just the kind of solution I was looking for!!! I have so many old spade bits lying around that I wouldn't notice the loss of one or two for the vertical lathe

Many than